do i need a winch mount

jdh1

hi, I intend to put a ramsey #3000 wireless winch on my 2006 rtv. I was wondering if I need to purchase the winch mount plate sold by kubota? it seems to me the winch should just fit in the front cutout where the mounting plate is. It also seems that the pre drilled holes should line up. Does anyone know if the roller fairlead mounts to the winch itself or to the rtv? THANKS, jdh1

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The ramsey winch does in fact slide right into that area. It's a bit tight in there but it does fit.
You will have to remove the grill guard and that black plastic piece to get the winch in there.
The fairlead mounts to the bottom of the grill guard. There's 3 holes in there. You put the fairlead in the 2 towards the drivers side. I believe you need to get some bolts for mounting. I don't recall the exact size but to recall they were metric.

Here's a pic.

jdh1

Thanks for the reply, bczoom, you have answered all my questions and it seems to be a fairly easy job. Great picture, THANKS AGAIN, jdh1

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It is a relatively easy job but still plan on it taking a few hours.

jdh1

I received the winch today and it looks as though i will need to make a bracket to mount the fairlead as it has no holes in the bottom. It shouldn,t be a problem, I might even weld a couple of pieces of angle iron to it to make it work,is that what you did, bczoom ? Did you stick the antenna to the underside of the hood? thanks again for the help

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No holes in the bottom of the fairlead mount? I've never heard of that... I don't recall having to do any drilling nor did I need any angle-iron.
I did mount my antenna to the underside of the hood, but I was having intermittent problems using the "out" button on the remote. I've since replaced the antenna with one of their other antennas that look like a little CB antenna with a magnetic mount.

G

bczoom, looking at your picture what did you put the 2 visible bolts through? i would have to add a piece of angle to use those 2 bolt holes. Where did you get the other style antenna and do you remember approx. how much it cost? THANKS, jdh1, sorry couldn't sign in

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Anonymous"]bczoom, looking at your picture what did you put the 2 visible bolts through? [/quote]
There's an OEM bracket that's angled. It should have been in the kit (if you purchased as a kit). If not, I'm sure they're out there. I'll check to see if I have a spare. For the fairlead you have, I'll need to know the distance between the holes as there's 2 sizes.

[quote user="Anonymous"]Where did you get the other style antenna
and do you remember approx. how much it cost?[/quote]
I won it in a contest. I can't seem to find it on their site right now but think it goes for about $50. I don't know if it really helped my issue though...
Here's a pic of what the antenna looks like http://www.ramsey.com/automotive/wirelessremote.html

G

I think i can make a bracket easily, i have the angle,torches and a welder. I bought the winch off e-bay not through a kubota dealer. Thanks for the offer, i'll let you know if I need the bracket, THANKS AGAIN bczoom, jdh1

G

bczoom, I mounted the winch today and everything went well, i used a piece of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 1/4 angle and notched it out where the cable comes through. I was wondering where you got the powerfrom for the small red wire,to energize the solenoid. I found a unused connector, under the hood on the left side, coming out of the main wiring harness that was only hot with the key on as per instructions. It seems like it might have been there just for the winch. thanks for the new pics and all your help, jdh1 PS wireless remote seems to work fine with the foil antenna mounted to the underside of the hood.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
jdh1,

I looked at mine. If I traced it correctly, the wire coming out of the harness it's where you said. Red wire with Grey stripe.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="jdh1"]i'm on to my next project[/quote]
That's not fair... you didn't tell us what it is. Time to start a new thread!