windshelds

labaherd

I am looking at buying a windsheld. mainly to keep some of the cold air and rain out of me eyes. Has any body tried that fold in half windsheld. what about plastic verses the glass. I just have the hard plastic top on mine. any help or ideas would be great.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made my own out of Lexan (with MarGuard).

It does work well and is quick attach. It's 2 pieces so it could be a half windshield.

Most plastics will fade/yellow and will scratch. Be careful of the material used.

Lexan has gotten so expensive that it may be more expensive than glass.

G

Kubota sells an acrylic windshield now. Its probably going to be tough to build your own much cheaper. Its one piece and is curved to fit the contour ofthe ROPS.I think they retail around $350.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]Kubota sells an acrylic windshield now. Its probably going to be tough to build your own much cheaper. Its one piece and is curved to fit the contour ofthe ROPS.I think they retail around $350.[/quote]
I wasn't aware they had an acrylic one.
For $350, it may very well be the way to go. I just did a quick look on Lexan. The stuff I have is now over $600 just for the material. That doesn't count shipping, cutting, mounting...

Knoxville

I purchased a lexan version off of e-bay for $160.00plus $40 shipping. I have been satisfied thus far, yet have always thought I could have done it my self for less. It is a perfect square cut that easily bends with the curve of the rops. The material is 1/4" thick. You can still purchase them on e-bay I am sure. The guy was real nice. Check out his pictures. I added one more brace to mine in the center for stability whenhauling. A buddy of mine is in the process of trying to do one himself for his mule. Best of luck.....</P>

</P>

labaherd

Do you haveanyproblems with the lexan and tree branches? and I guess you can just drill holes in it if you need to supportit more. Jon

Knoxville

Yes you can just drill right into the plastic. Mine came with six braces, three down each side. It came pre-drilled for the $160.00. If you can find a good deal on the sheet of plastic I can give the size of mine (again it is an exact square cut). My only advice would be to get the 1/4" thick. My cousin tried to use 1/8" on his Polaris Ranger and it turned out flimsy. As far as the tree branches I do not have enough experience yet. I take my unit into some pretty rough places but have not since the new windshield install. Over time myguess is that it will show some scratches. It is a tough call. The Kubota factory job is only about $350 plus tax? Does it scratch? All in all mine was $200 total. If a man can afford it......the $650 Kubota glass job is far superior. Best Regards....</P>

Ryan</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A couple thoughts/comments.

$160 for that lexan windshield appears to be a good price. Just so you're aware, it appears the particular lexan being used will probably only last for 5 years or so. At that point, it may start to yellow and such. But, at that price, you just buy another and you're still ahead.

Although I haven't done it to my windshield, I have done it with other plexiglass. Lemon Pledge does a fantastic job of cleaning it. Don't use a substitute product or other type of furniture polish.

tothmakr

I have a friend who made his own windshield. Hecut a piece of plexiglass and ziptied it on the front and back.20 dollar fix and it worked great during hunting season.I am gonna do the same to mine when its delivered friday

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="tothmakr"]I have a friend who made his own windshield. Hecut a piece of plexiglass and ziptied it on the front and back.20 dollar fix and it worked great during hunting season.I am gonna do the same to mine when its delivered friday[/quote]
Tothmakr,

Instead of zip-ties, have you looked at 2" O-Clamps? They're made for DJ lighting systems but fit the ROPS perfectly. They're quick attach and work very nicely for mounting a windshield or anything else to the ROPS.
They're regularly on e-bay for about $5/clamp. On e-bay, do a search for "O-Clamp".

tothmakr

bczoom...I found the clamps on ebay.</P>

how many should I order and how do you install the windshield to them? The dealer is delivering mine friday. I would love to work on it over the weekend.Thanks for your help</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Take a look at this post
http://compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/post/1463.aspx
It's an old pic put should give you the info requested.

My windshield is 2 pieces so I used 8 o-clamps. If yours is a single piece, you may be able to get away with 6 but 4 will probably make it more stable.

When you get the clamps, there will probably be insets inside the part that goes around the pipe/ROPS that makes them usable on 1.5" pipe. Just pull those out.

The clamp has a little T-handle that is used to open the clamp so it can be wrapped around the pipe. There will also be a 3/8" (or so) stud that sticks out which is where you mount your "stuff". This is the stud that you will bolt your windshield to.

I put the clamps on the ROPS with the studs facing forward. I then marked where the plexiglass needs to be drilled (and, of course drilled it).

When mounting the windshield to the studs, I put in some rubber washers. The kind that are metal on one side and rubber on the other. I put them on both sides of the stud so the rubber part is facing the windshield material. Don't know if it was really needed but this allows a little buffer to: 1 - avoid scratching and 2 - a small compression zone for when you put the wingnut on. I believe I got these in those specialty drawers in the hardware section of Lowes or HD.

BTW - You may want to get a can of ROPS grey or just regular black Rustoleum. The pic in the link above is pretty old and all the hardware, wingnuts, washers... have all been painted. Here's a bit newer pic but it's still missing some accessories.