rtv and side hills

labaherd

have any of you found that these rtv don't like side hills real well. thursday I had to haul salt blocksin the hills andthe road has a lot of off camber places in it. Ihad 6 50lbs block of salt in teh bedup next to the cab and let me say there were times that the seat was not where it was supposed to be if you get my drift.There was alot of 3 wheeling. once I drop all of the blocks and came back out the same way it was like a different machine.BC ZOOMI know you spend a lot of time in the wood have you ran into this?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Without a load, the center-of-gravity is pretty low.

Once you load stuff in the box, it greatly raises the COG. I am a bit surprised about 1 wheel coming off the ground (if I read your post correctly).

I added a lift kit and 26.5" tall tires. I do notice that just raising it up a couple inches also seems to make it more tippy.

One thing I've been wanting to do (but haven't gotten around to it yet) is to get the RTV off camber and connect a rope or chain on the uphill side of the ROPS with some slack. Then, try to push the thing over to see what it would take. My point of this exercise is to see if it's just me (pucker factor) or if the thing is in fact near the brink of tipping.

Not sure of the road/trail you're running on but I regularly grade mine to assure they're somewhat flat. Due to erosion, the uphill side collects runoff and makes the trail off-camber more than I like.

labaherd

The roadis not improved. The cows and wild hogs do a pretty good number on it.There aren't to many flat spots on this road. Its eather side hill or strait up.yea it could be mekinda makes you turn green.I had it out this morning and turned to the left hard and now there is a loud poping nosie coming from the front end. It actslike it is still in 4x4 but its not. the front tires kind of grab like running your pickup in 4x4 on the black top.I was 4x4 with the rear locked in for 6hrs. this is the most the 4x4 has been used.One thing for sure this climbs like a goat.Hopfully I can get it to shop on monday and they can fix it and the stupid leaking fuel tank. Jon</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did you snap a U-joint?

Re. leaking fuel tank, does the tank leak or just some leaking around the cap?

I'd like to see pics of the terrain you're riding in!

labaherd

Everything looks intacted. yea its the fuel cap. these were the guys that told me I was filling my tank to full. I'm going to get to contact the kubota rep and have him deal with it. I try and get some pic and post them. Jon

Londoner

Re: rtv and side hills - and leaking fuel cap

Off topica bit - but I noticed your comments re the leaking fuel tank.</P>

Don't know if you are aware of this 'fix" but if not it mighthelp you with the Kubota rep - forget whereI got the info butI think it's solid - my RTV goes in for 50 hour work and some warranty stuff soon.</P><FONT size=2>

If your diesel cap does not say" DIESEL ONLY" it is the wrong cap. Most dealers are not aware yet of change. part number is k7561-34150. Even the new machines dealers are getting have the wrong cap on them.</P></FONT>

labaherd

thats been the hole problem. they don't know and I tried to push them to find out and that was when they told me thatI was filling the tank to full. Then I found this forum and have learn much more.

Hawsie

Another problem I ran into today thats somewhat related to having a load in the bed happened to me today. I was putting my RTV up into the back of my above the axle utility trailer and had a full 50 gallon water tank in the back as I was going to plant some trees out in my property and needed to bring some water for them. Well my ramp is pretty long but its still a pretty steep climb to get up and into the trailer. As I was going up the ramp the damn bed tilted back by itself and dumped the whole load out the back and it bent up the bed pretty good in the process. I see it has a mount for a strap of some sort but I got this used so I dont know if mine are missing or the straps are only on the manual left bed models. Anyways I had to back down, dump all the water,reload and fix a few things that got broken and put everything back in.Then this time I backed up. This time the sucker had trouble making it up in reverse but I remembered to back off the throttle and then I got it to back up. Seems crazy if this isnt supposed to have a lock down as I really only had about 500 or less in the bed.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

That does seem odd that the bed would tilt/dump. It almost sounds like your hyd lift lever was in the float position (all the way down, past the detent).
Although I haven't tried it with weight in the box, I find it near impossible to tilt the bed manually unless in the float mode.

labaherd

I loaded up the rtv this morning to take it to the shop to have them look at the front end.I moved it very care fully so I didn't screw anything else up.I unloaded and took the servicewriter for a ride to show him what it was doing. guess what happen. nothing it wouldn't clank bang or make any noise. over the weekendI moved it out of the way and messed with the 4x4 lever but it still made the noise. I think what happen was it half in and half out of 4x4. they're going to look at it and tryto get itto do it again. Jon</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

[quote user="labaherd"]guess what happen. nothing it wouldn't clank bang or make any noise.[/quote]
Isn't it the way it always seems to work?

labaherd

I heard from the shop today. They saidI broke the left front half shaft. They got it to make the nosie when they put it in 4 wheel drive.</P>

labaherd

Just a up date. I got my rtv back from the shop. They replaced the left cv joint and axle and they finally replaced the fuel cap with the new and improved one. Still haven't figured out the windsheld yet but soon I hope.Jon</P>