NEW RTV1100 DOESNT GUARANTEE ANY PERFORMANCE GAINS

Hawsie

I sure like the new features specified on the new RTV 1100 coming out, but I
dont think its going to be across the board better. It just seems too
big and heavy. When you start reading between the lines maybe you will see what I mean.

While the RTV1100 quite a bit wider and
longer, what really stands out to me is how much heavier it is compared to
the power increase. I am comparing the Fancy cab model as thats the
one that has all the fancy features and bragging rights with the curved glass and AC,new dash layout and
also it is also the only one I see advertised. With the RTV1100 weighing at
almost 2500 pounds compared to the 1984 pounds for the heavy
model RTV900W.(the basic RTV900G is actually even 80 pounds lighter) the
RTV900W is .80 percent the wt of the RTV1100. Now when you look at the power increase of
the new 24.8HP compared to our 21.6 HP, the RTV900 has .87 percent the power of the 1100. In other
words the RTV900W has a power to wt ratio of 82 pounds per HP while the
RTV1100 has a 92 pounds per HP. More weight per horsepower isnt a
recipe for more performance. I guess thats why even though its so much
heavier and bigger, neither the tow rating nor
the cargo capacity has gone up with all that size and wt
increase. The other thing that is worrysome is that while the wheel
bases and the front and rear tire center widths are exactly the same
between the two, the RTV 1100 is 9 inches longer and 6.5 inches wider.
That means it has to have more overhang and less approach and departure angles if the wheel base or track
or ground clearance hasnt changed but the O.A. length and width has. That can mean getting stuck easier in some offroad conditions.

Now maybe all this on paper theoretical stuff is overcome in real
world usage, but on paper(and thats all that is available to me!) It isnt
going to be a performance or offroad improvement. Bigger doesnt always
mean better.
If you add that much wt and size while increasing the HP but in the end you dont gain any listed increase in the performance specifications ( for example cargo capacity,tow
capacity,ground clearance,bed size,tire size are all the same as the RTV900) and some specs are actuallly decreased such as turning radius, it seems
to me that all that mass was added mainly for more comfort. Oh it does hold a whole half gallon more fuel!(of course it going to burn more too!)
I am not saying it not going to be real nice and unmatched in comfort and convienences, It just doesnt seem to have the performance enhancements I had expected when I first heard the 1100 was coming out. What I do hope and what I would bet is also the same between the two is the transmission. Because that means our lighter RTV900's drivetrain will be able to handle the performance increases I have in mind. What do you
guys think!

BovsRTV

<FONT size=4>These are all good points to consider when putting this kind of money out! Another factor I thought about was the power increase in the 1100is sort of eaten up too by running the air conditioner as it does on cars. I'm sure you would notice a power loss as the compressor kicks in! I like the sleek looking front end on it, My Dad likes the 900... he also likes his almost free of cost cab we built for it as well! A nice 30hp turbo diesel would have been great to see put into this thing!</FONT>

Chandler

I noticed that too about the hp vs added a/c. It looks like they were content with the hp of the 900 and just added just enough hp to try and cover the addition of the a/c. It is a sharp looking RTV though. Maybe someone will come up with "some not so expensive" add ons to beef up the hp of the current motor.

rleonard

Good points guys. I stopped at a Kubota dealer and they had
limited information and expected their first 1100 in within a month or
two. I would consider trading my 900 in but the biggest factor is
this: The RTV 1100 is expected to have a $5000 premium over a
900. This prices it at a minimum of $15K before a winch, bed
liner, lights, etc.

I also noted that the seat is a fabric material. For me this is a
negative. The dogs like to sit next to me. With the vinyl
seats I can just wash them off when muddy.

I would love to have the machine mostly for decreased cab noise and
better HVAC. This probably puts it beyond my reach though.

Bob

G

I don't think this was ever intended to be more machine than the 900. There are a handful of changes to the transmission, becaues of thatit really does not feel any differentthan a 900 (based on the 5 minutes I drove it) . The HP increase is ment for the AC unit, not to compensate for the added weight of the machine. I'd expect performance on par with what everyone is used to. We've been seeing our ship dates slipping. Our first two units are already sold, I don't think we'll have stock sitting around until July or so. </P>

</P>

</P>

tothmakr

I got to drive one today. It rode very well and the cab is great.I dont think I would like having to deal with a door getting in and out.We will use our 900 around the house hauling dirt and rocks and a 90lb dog.</P>