RTV900 Mud Tire Selection

jagerwolf

I have a 2006 RTV and the factory tire traction performance in mud is poor. Does anyone have a recomendation for replacement mud tires & wheels? There are just to many to choose from on the web. Additionally, what is the best 2 " lift kit available?? [*-)]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can you tell us more about the types of ground conditions and terrain you have?

There's many out there. My personal preference is the 25" Maxxis Bighorns. They have an aggressive enough tread to handle mud, snow and such but they're not so aggressive as to damage the yard (unless it's very soft like in the early spring at which time, it doesn't matter what tire your running, the weight alone is enough to cause depressions). They run very smoothly on hard-packed/paved surfaces. Also, although 25" tires, they do stand 26.5" tall.

If your conditions are such that something really aggressive is your preference, the ITP-589's will handle anything you throw at them. They aren't friendly to lawns and will make a slightly choppy ride on hard-packed/paved surfaces when going somewhat slow.

Re. the lift-kit, I'm pretty sure Essex makes all of them. If not, I'd get the Essex anyway as it's a proven product. Do remember that it will raise your center-of-gravity. If you have hilly or otherwise off-camber conditions, I wouldn't install it unless your conditions otherwies require the lift kit. I have the aforementioned 25" Bighorns. Even at 26.5", I can handle 98% of my terrain without the lift kit. Only when coming down a hill, into a sharp corner with 1000# of wood in the box would I get a slight rub on the front tire (without the lift kit installed).
Another point on the lift kit. Unless it's been changed, the installation instructions provided don't work very well. There's alternate instructions posted in other threads in this forum. I can find/bump the threads if/when you need.

Brian

jagerwolf

Thanks for the great input - yep it's that early spring slimmy clay - I keep the trails graded in my 20+ acres of wooded hills. No off camber to worry about - but plenty of inclines & grades fairly steep rises. When trails are dry I have no problem hauling wood out - but when the spring thaw hit (what a mess) my winch got me out of the muck. As for trail degredation - not much concern as I can regrade the crowns with my tractor blade when surface dries. Given this description what do you think??

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="jagerwolf"]Given this description what do you think??[/quote]
I think you have the same conditions I do...

I think you'll be very happy with the Bighorns. As mentioned previously, you may get some rubbing in the front when doing a sharp curve, coming down the hill with a full load of wood. I'm somewhat off-camber when that happens so not sure if it would happen to you. If it does, you may need a lift kit. If you are sure you DON'T ever want to install the lift kit, I probably wouldn't go with the Bighorns. Mud Lites may be an option at that point.

On a side note (and subject for a new thread), it sounds like we have similar uses as well. We might want to start a new thread on ways to harvest firewood with the RTV. I've found a couple things you may find handy.