MF35 3 cyl perkins combustoin caps blowby

shrievy

I have a MF 35 1960 3 cyl perkins I totally rebuilt, started up and engine sounds great. I am getting blowby on all three combustion chamber caps. The old cap gaskets were circular, and the ones I replaced are shaped like the cap (copper). I took them off and put on new cap gaskets (shaped like the cap) and this time sprayed the copper gasket spray like you use on the head gaskets. I made sure it was all clean on the caps and the head, (surface and inside the hole). Torqued it all up to specs again and started, after about 30 seconds I got blowby on one and within a minute all 3 caps were getting blowby. Can anyone help me with this one, frustrating? thanks, John

shrievy

Jeep,

The combustion caps (3 of them) I am talking about is on the side of the head right next to the exhaust manifold. I called it blowby but is more of a leak out the side of the caps between the gasket and head. Any help would be appriciated shrievy.

Jeep

you might try on Antique tractors forum or ytmag.com it's been to long since I worked on them thier are sharp massey guys on these two site'sI have a 1941 model 81 now Jeep

shrievy

Fixed the problem, apparently the caps get a little warped. One suggestion was to have them slightly milled to get straight again (both caps and side of head). The other suggestion that I followed through with was to paint the side of the head and caps where they mate with aluminum paint. Not the spray can but the roll or brush on aluminum paint. After it set up for two days I fired it up and had just a very little hint of one cap leaking pressure. After running it for a few hours it to sealed up. It is running great and it is bush hogging like a champ.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats. Sorry we couldn't help you but thanks a bunch for coming back and filling us in on what the solution was. I'm happy to hear it's bush hoggin like a champ. :thumb:
Rep points for you for the follow up. :thumb: :D

Jeep

glad you got it going ya back in the 60's we did that but my old mind didn't go back far enough glad you fixed it Jeep:tiphat: