Ford 3000 (Gas)

Av8r3400

A friend of mine is looking at a '74 Ford 3000 with a OEM loader on it.

The unit is a gas, 4x2 tranny, with 1900 hours since new.

I have not seen it, but he tells me that the unit is in very nice looking condition, and has been taken care of by the (original) owner.

$7000 is the price that he would have to pay.

Anyone have any thoughts on this tractor or the price being asked?

PBinWA

There's an older beat up looking one for sale locally for $3800. Not sure if that helps though.

jwstewar

Staff member
Even though that is really low hours, that seems kinda high for that machine even with the loader. I would think closer to 5 would be appropriate - at least I think for around here. YMMV.....

BTW, my cousin had a '66. He bought it around '83 or '84. He used it on his 90+ acres bushhogging with a 5' KK up until last year. Also maintained his 1/2 mile driveway (straight up). A few years ago he had to put a clutch in it. Other than some electrical gremlins from sitting outside for 30+ years it was pretty much trouble free. Engine and brakes were a little tired so he decided to buy a bigger 4wd. Ended up with a Kubota 8530. He sold it to a guy that is still using it w/o doing anything to it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The price sounded high to me also. But I did a little searching and found a couple of diesel models for around 8k (both with more than 1900 hours).

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/forsale/list.asp?man=FORD&mdl=3000&pdcl=1

I found gasers in the 5k price range, but they don't have a loader. 1500 for a loader would be GREAT, even 2k for it would seem reasonable. And he said it's been well taken care of. 7K might be very reasonable for it. 6500 would be what I'd offer if it were me.

Av8r3400

Thanks guys. Like I said, i haven't looked at the unit so I have no idea. Steve tells me that the paint is beautiful with no rust and it looks very clean everywhere (no oil or hydro leaks).

I will forward on that $7000 is just 'okay' if the unit is really perfect.

Thanks guys. Like I said, i haven't looked at the unit so I have no idea. Steve tells me that the paint is beautiful with no rust and it looks very clean everywhere (no oil or hydro leaks).

I will forward on that $7000 is just 'okay' if the unit is really perfect.

Check to see if the hoses are painted too...:rolleyes:

GAS TRACTORS of that age should be cheaper...

I had a 1973 Ford 3000 gas for 30 years. It had a loader also. Mine was shot by the time I decided it needed to re-locate.

They are VERY popular tractors. Even tha gasser is a good seller. They use a fair amount of gas per hr for the size, but aren't excessively bad. They tend to be cold natured especially as it gets older. Mine ( and a few others I know of) had an unnatural appetite for ignition coils. (averaged 1 every couple years)

Mine was used primarily as a "barnyard tractor" with a manure loader on it from new. The reason why I decided to sell it was the entire front end was trashed. Axle was sagging, bolster was worn, steering linkage was shot, spindles were bent, ect.... Too long with too much loader on too light of a tractor for the work I gave it. I sold it, bought a '72 3000 diesel, swapped the loader, and ended up selling that tractor too. I got $3850 out of the gas 3000 w/o loader, $5750 out of the diesel 3000 w/ loader. (Kelly "aftemarket" loader, but a good one)

Price; Hmmm Towards the high end of the spectrum, but not totally out of the realm of possibility IF it's truely in that great of condition. You'll find 3000's without loaders anywhere from $3000 to $6000 around here. Loader usually adds $1000 to $2000. A really NICE tractor/loader combo can bring more, but no matter HOW NICE, that's still a 35 to 40 year old tractor. It's only worth so much no matter how nice.

I buy with an eye towards resale. With that in mind, I wouldn't give that much. But if your friend wants a tractor to keep, that might not be such a terrible deal. Just go over it with a fine toothed comb. Make SURE it's as mint as described.

jimmieb

I have a 3400 gas(The Industrial version of same tractor) paid $4500 but saw others for up to $8,000. It is a very good and strong machine.
One problem is it can start hard. Going to take off carb and clean. If that does not work im thinking about adding a snowmobile gas primer hand pump. they only cost about $15 and colud go from gas line to any place in intake and be controled from the dash. What do you guys think about that?

Last edited: