new radiator

i have a 1974 4000 ford all purpose and my radiator started leaking so i replaced it with a new one now i am having a problem with the top half and top hose being hot and the bottom half and hose being cold sounds crazy to me i called my dealer and they said to loosen the heat sending unit to bleed the air out i did that and nothing changed any suggestions thanks

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi 1974. Is there any way there could be a blockage in the bottom of the radiator? If you take the hose loose, will the radiator's water gush out the "cold" hose connection when you loosen the cap?.. I have seen critters build nest in the radiators while in storage- also in hoses on equipment.... I once also left a rag stuffed in a hose to keep the critters out and that is why I am asking. It seems like if water was flowing out the bottom, or at least trying too, the hose would be warm....And your water pump is good?? I am just guessing and trying to eliminate things, that is where I start on my projects... Good Luck. bordercollie

when i got the new one out of the box it had plugs in every hole i removed those if you remove the lower hose the antifreeze will run out and i did not have any overheating problems before i changed the radiator thanks any help is much apreciated p.s. i like your buggy and your pups i have a 900 just like it great machine

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi 1974, and welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us. :thumb:

Does anti freeze come out of the bottom of the radiator when you loosen the hose? I wonder if under pressure something like a flap is blocking flow inside the radiator?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
when i got the new one out of the box it had plugs in every hole i removed those if you remove the lower hose the antifreeze will run out and i did not have any overheating problems before i changed the radiator thanks any help is much apreciated p.s. i like your buggy and your pups i have a 900 just like it great machine
Thank you 1974. They are nice pups to have around. :) How is the temperature running on your gauge? Is there any way something could have gotten in the bottom hose during the change? I wish I had more knowledge in this dept. Good Luck bordercollie

i went to the garage this morning and i took the thermostat out and put the housing back on and hooked everything back up filled with water and started it and the waterstarted circulating instantly i went to the dealer and got a new thermostat and gasket ill put iit in this afternoon and tell you how it goes thanks:thankyou2:

well the new thermostat fixed it as soon as the engine came up to temp and it opened the bottom of the radiator got warm i put the hood and everything else on and i set out 4 rolls of hay and drove it down the road and back a couple of miles and fixed up some ditches in my feedlot the temp hand stayed pretty much in the middle and it didnt boil over so i guess we will wait and see if it runs cool in the hay field this summer thank for all the help:clap: