RTV X1120 Electric Radiator Fan will not stop running

CenTex

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 2013 RTV X1120 that I use on my cattle ranch.

Yesterday after I finished using it and turned the engine off the electric radiator fan continued to run. It seemed strange since I was only showing 2 bars out of eight on the engine temperature display. In fact, with the ignition switch off it continued to run until I disconnected the battery.

I have a PDF copy of the service manual. It appears that the circuit included the fan motor, a relay and a coolant temperature sensor (they call it a switch). My plan of attack is to inspect the wiring harness, relay and sensor. If I see nothing obvious I will try replacing the relay first and then the sensor if the relay does not solve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Les

Last edited:

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Most systems work by the switch providing a ground to complete the low amperage circuit to energize the relay as the engine reaches temperature. With the battery reconnected, if the fan still runs, disconnect the wire from the switch on the engine. If it stops, bad switch. If it keeps running, bad relay or the switch wire has made ground somewhere else.

Good luck

hillbillybob

My guess is a faulty thermal switch.....it's stuck in the closed position, and therefore, grounding / completing the circuit. Most electric fans, as you have found out, are hot constantly (ignition on or off). It's only when the temp sensor / thermal switch closes, completing the circuit, that the fan kicks in.

PS:avantiguy types faster than I do.

CenTex

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks to Avantiguy and Hillbillybob for the troubleshooting tips.

I disconnected the wiring harness from the coolant sensor/switch and the fan motor still ran. I then pulled the fan motor relay and that stopped the fan. It appears that it may be a bad relay. I have the relay on order from Messick's.

Thanks

Choirman

My 2015 X1100 has a similar problem, My cooling fan runs all the time while the motor is running. But it does cut off when you turn the switch off.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
The fan on my 2016 1120D stops when you turn off the ignition. That being the case, I would have suggested the relay. I guess they change the design of these units along the way. Nice work!

Choirman

Yes, my fan out front under the hood cuts off with the switch. The problem i'm having is the fan in front of the motor runs continuously while the engine is running. Therefore my heater stays cold to barely warm even in 30 degree weather. I don't think this fan should run until coolant gets hot. I am thinking the sensor in the thermostat housing may be bad. Or a relay. Not sure.