Need to make my own dumpster

Danocheese

OK I'm done with Waste management. IT was simple I pay you $58 a month and you come get the trash. They could'nt figure it out for two years now and I don;t want to call and beg for a pickup anymore.

I need to build a dumpster that I can use the tractor and forks to dump into the dump truck or dump trailer.

It would be real nice if I can figure out a way to grab it and just dump. No getting off and hooking a chain to hold the box to the forks.

My plan is that I can haul to the dump a couple of times a month. Kids can just throw the garbage in the box I build. when I get a spare 31 minutes, I can dump it in the truck or trailer and take it to the dump on the way to work.

I used the pick-up today worked fine, I jsut don't want to be loading the trcuk and then unloading. THe dump charged $10 for 190LBS. Full pickup load.

OK are we all confused now.

Any ideas on how to build this box. I'm thinking three sided so I can dump it easier. Don't have a clue how to make it so I can lock it to the forks without using a binder and some chain.

Mith

Next time I think of it I will get a photo of the one they use on the farm.

The part that fits on the pallet forks stays level, the hopper that you put the junk in tips like a trip bucket on a loader.
That way it can still dump but it doesnt fall off the forks.

Erik

Mith, I like that idea - I was going to suggest a pin that hooks into a matching hole in the forks when you lift so the box can't slide unless you drop the forks enough to disengage.

other option would be to put a lip on the box that would hook over the top of the headache rack on your forks.

Best choice would be to build the box with a QA plate so you could just pick it up and move it like any other implement - so if you ever needed to move a quantity of some other material (like leaves). you'd be set.

urednecku

HERE is a pic of one that works with a fork lift. Release the latch, tip the forks a little, and it will "roll" forward to dump the garbage, then roll back to latch, while the frame stays on the forks. Google "self dumping hopper" and it comes up with a bunch of different sites.

Last edited:

Mith

Redneck, thats what they have on the farm. Works real well.
Theirs does have wheels on the bottom so you can push it around by hand if need be.

Danocheese

I think I'm geting carried away. I think the best option is a simple box on skidds that I can grab with the forks. Use a small chain binder to lock it to the forks then dump it. Leave one end open so it dumps out. It will only be twice a month. I could use the excersice. Now to get soem mtal and play with the old Airco welder I bought for $75 thsi weekend. It ahs only been twenty years since I laid a bead.

Thanks for all the help.

olcowhand

We've went through 4 companies with dumpster service. BFI used to be ours, then they jacked up the price, plus reduced pickups. Then the next 2 companies could never remember we paid for service! Now we're with Rumpke and so far so good. BUT, if they forget to pick up and we don't let them know within 48hrs, it's "our fault"? Only happened a couple times, and not a biggy. They did come both times & do a late pickup.
We were just about to build our own towable dumping dumpster when Rumpke started service in our area.