Maple syrup and how it's made

Archdean

Maple syrup and how it's made
My Brother decided that he would produce Maple Syrup from his farm in upstate New York this year and here he is doing it!! No wonder it cost what it does and he was just told there is none better by the folks that know!!
ScanImage01.jpg

ScanImage02.jpg

ScanImage003.jpg

ScanImage004.jpg

ScanImage05.jpg

ScanImage006.jpg

ScanImage007.jpg

ScanImage008.jpg

009.jpg

howierd3866

people said money doesn't grow on trees..well here we have orange groves to prove them wrong but I see they are right with Dean's trees his are growing from the inside out...send me a bottle....ps I always catching people pulling over and stealing my fruit....:hide: here the dump redneck question can they do the same with maple...Thanks Howard

Archdean

Well they could but it wouldn't do them any good! Most of his trees are only accessable by the Kubota RTV (note the Chains) and with out the equipment to reduce it (spells about 10K plus a hell of a lot of work) and yields about the same return as diesel $48.00 per gallon!!:mrgreen:

shinnlinger

Serious operations run tubing from tree to tree and pull a vacum to suck the sap to central holding tanks and then after filtering, they will reverse osmosis to take out 60+% of the water before boiling.

HOwever lots of folks swiched over from wood to oil or propane in recent years to finish, so expect to pay $60+ a gallon for syrup this year.

I figured I could save a few bucks and have a little fun by making my own this year. I usually rent my trees out to a local sugar house, but for several reasons they didn't boil this year so I cobbled up some stuff.

My hi tech operation consisted of a cabin sized woodstove and two canning pots. I fed it with old wood from my house I am tearing down and kept a blower on it so the stove literally glowed. 5 hours later I had some decent stuff and it was fun, but hardly cost effective if you consider my time.

I may very well make an sugaring arch next year and feed it with the slabs from my lumber mill to make it a little more worthwile.

Dean,

I see your brother isn't fooling around...nice setup!

Attachments

• syrup.jpg
    syrup.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 55

Archdean

"Serious operations run tubing from tree to tree and pull a vacum to suck the sap to central holding tanks and then after filtering, they will reverse osmosis to take out 60+% of the water before boiling."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not on this 300 acre mountain in the background where one can barely stand upright let alone run tubing!! Obviously not any where near your Serious Hi-tech operation!!

HBplantingSmall.jpg