How long to start my Kubota?

UT60

Hello. I posted awhile back when I was searching for a sub compact tractor(Thanks again to you guys for your feedback in guiding me through that!). I am a total novice to diesel tractors and really don't have any experience around tractors, so maybe this is a dumb question.... The BX2230 runs great after I get it started, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about how long it takes to get it started. It always starts, but I have to turn the key and hold it down as it cranks for sometimes up to 25-30 seconds while it kicks smoke out the front and then when it does finally get started, a huge cloud of smoke comes out - normal? ...or does it need servicing?
Thanks

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Diesels have glow plugs. You have to turn the key to the 1st notch and hold it there until the glow plug light goes out. Once it does out that means the glow plugs are warm enough to fire your engine up, so then you proceed to turn the key the rest of the way to start the tractor. If you are simply trying to start it like we all start our car, I suspect that is the issue.
Yours might work a little different than mine (as it's a 2002 Grand L 3010) but all diesels have glow plugs & the principle is the same.

Lots of smoke coming out of a diesel when it starts is totally normal.

Note: When it's below freezing after my glow plug light goes out the first time I turn it to the off position, wait 5 seconds and turn it to warm the glow plugs again ..then start the tractor. This ensures the glow plugs are warmed up enough to start and saves wear (according to the old pro who told me about this method). Works for me.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with your model but on some older Kubotas the glow plug light doesn't go off. After you turn the key to the "preheat" position, you count about 5 seconds and then turn the key to the starting position and off she goes. It also suggests putting the hand throttle in the half way position until it starts and then pulling it back to idle for a warm up period.

When my B2400 starts, there's a big puff of smoke and then everything settles down. My L4740 is pretty much the same.