Tracks!! Tracks!! Tracks!!

foxalaska

I know it's been covered before and I've looked through the archives, but not finding what I need.

I'm getting rid of my snow machine, Mama says she's not up to the cold anymore, so thinking of tracking up the old 1100. I've ran tracks before on a Prowler(TJD tracks) and wasn't real fond of them. They did well enough in the snow, but always breaking something. I'm looking at the Camso 4s1 tracks, which looks much better then the TJD's. The Prowler was 1000 cc and had the ponies to pull them, but really worked the machine. It was a 70 MPH buggy on tires and would top out at 35 mph on tracks, although I ran about 20. My concern is the 1100 is pretty much hp limited for top speed. The extra drag could really be a deal breaker as far as speed is concerned. Not wanting to run pedal to the medal to get 12 MPH. I hope to be able to maintain 15 mph or so without full throttle. Be running on the river which has no hills to climb. Can anybody give me some feedback.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry no feedback on the 1100 but ....I've seen the tracks on the Honda Pioneer and the Polaris RZR. Both are over 1000 pounds lighter than the Kubota RTV. You might have an easier time finding tracks for one of those, and give you an excuse for another machine. Good luck.

foxalaska

Sorry no feedback on the 1100 but ....I've seen the tracks on the Honda Pioneer and the Polaris RZR. Both are over 1000 pounds lighter than the Kubota RTV. You might have an easier time finding tracks for one of those, and give you an excuse for another machine. Good luck.

Mama wants the creature comforts of the heated cab and stereo. She budgeted me enough for tracks and a Boss V-plow and then I'm cut off from the "toy fund".

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Good Question! I wonder what the top speed is too. Dad put a set of those on his Polaris General and really likes them. He said they really slow the top speed of the machine down but they love the heat and comfort of the side by side. However last year he broke through the ice on a creek in Homer, the rear tracks were under the ice and the only way out was to punch it... they cleared the creek and bank but one of the front tracks spun all the way around on the machine. He walked 10 miles back to the parking lot to flag down some guys who could help, the whole ordeal was kind of scary. Anyways if you get a set stay away from creeks and banks!

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Not trying to Hijack your thread but does the RTV steering system have enough power to turn the tracks left to right with out forward movement of the buggy? Apparently the General does not, which makes it difficult to turn around in tight spots.

King

Camso are great for snow. But top speed will be 15 mph full throttle and that’s on hard packed snow powder will put you in low gear. I would suggest a turbo to be able to stay in high range won’t pick up more speed but will be able to maintain it. Soucy make a great 4 seasons track a little more industrial minded but about same mph. The rtv is heavy these tracks are about 2500 square inches of ground pressure they could use more but are limited by design to fit all machines. They are light years ahead of tires and work great for plowing or running on packed snow just not up to back country exploration . Lots of videos on YouTube I highly suggest you check them out. I would buy them if the wife gave the ok .

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
check out youtube there are quite a few vids of 1100's on tracks in the snow. the nice thing about the bota diesel is it likes being run full throttle continuously.

foxalaska

Try to address everyone in one reply. Alaskanassasin, your not hijacking, your helping. My Prowler turned ok without power. I never forced it so not to cause damage to the steering. I really think power steering would be a problem if you didn't allow things to turn freely. I already understand the limitations of the rig being less than desirable as far as flotation goes. I will be running good trails on the river between villages. May have to widen the track a little on my first runs but after that it will be ok. About 50 miles of trail to Ruby where we have a cabin. Like to make the trip in 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Camso tracks have choices in sprocket diameter for different ratios, but the Kubota is only capable of so much speed due to low HP. Rather not turbo. Not sure the head volumes are correct. That's an entirely different issue. I'm sure I can get sprockets sized to run my target speeds theoretically, but not sure if that little 24 HP engine will do the job. I've looked on youtube and seen Bota's on camso tracks, but nothing showing it's cruising top speed capability.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How about getting a snowcat? There should be a ton of them in your area. Made for exactly your conditions, cabbed... and you may be able to find one for the price of a set of RTV tracks.

Thiokol
Tucker
Imp
Snow Trac
Bombardier

One of Doc's other forums has one of the world's largest Snowcat forums so you can get a ton of information over there.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/index.php

Here's an example.

attachment.php

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Soooo 15mph ehh... and that’s if everything is going right.... sounds like that would work around town but then you probably don’t need them around town so what are you thinking? Probably add a extra hour to your cabin trip..

foxalaska

How about getting a snowcat? There should be a ton of them in your area. Made for exactly your conditions, cabbed... and you may be able to find one for the price of a set of RTV tracks.

Thiokol
Tucker
Imp
Snow Trac
Bombardier

One of Doc's other forums has one of the world's largest Snowcat forums so you can get a ton of information over there.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/ind...the thing and use the proceeds to buy tracks.

foxalaska

Soooo 15mph ehh... and that’s if everything is going right.... sounds like that would work around town but then you probably don’t need them around town so what are you thinking? Probably add a extra hour to your cabin trip..

It's more than a "cabin trip". Ruby, Alaska is Mama's hometown, so we need the ability to make daytrips throughout the winter. She has lots of friends and family there. It's about an 1 1/2 hr ride, two-up, on a snowmachine. Ten hours round trip is to much window time to have coffee with Auntie Florence. As far as for town, I'd like to leave the tracks on during the winter, especially for plowing snow. The Bota is my only means of transportation. About 5 miles between Old Town and New Town Galena, so a decent speed is needed in town also. I run my buggy around 15 to 20 MPH on tires to conserve fuel(7 bucks a gallon). This speed is ok. Running pedal to the medal to maintain 10 MPH is not going to work. Love to talk to someone that has ran these tracks on a bota, and give real world feedback. Fifty one hundred bucks(plus freight) is a buttload of loot to spend on a bad idea.

Lee1935

It's more than a "cabin trip". Ruby, Alaska is Mama's hometown, so we need the ability to make daytrips throughout the winter. She has lots of friends and family there. It's about an 1 1/2 hr ride, two-up, on a snowmachine. Ten hours round trip is to much window time to have coffee with Auntie Florence. As far as for town, I'd like to leave the tracks on during the winter, especially for plowing snow. The Bota is my only means of transportation. About 5 miles between Old Town and New Town Galena, so a decent speed is needed in town also. I run my buggy around 15 to 20 MPH on tires to conserve fuel(7 bucks a gallon). This speed is ok. Running pedal to the medal to maintain 10 MPH is not going to work. Love to talk to someone that has ran these tracks on a bota, and give real world feedback. Fifty one hundred bucks(plus freight) is a buttload of loot to spend on a bad idea.

When I was up there I looked hard at sled dogs, but uncle sam stepped in and said "time to leave"

How about bundling the wife up in a big sled behind your snow mobile. From my limited experience with Kubota I would never get over a hours walk from home unless someone with a dependable Ski-Doo was along. At one time you could get used wing tanks in Fairbanks, they made a better sled than anything you could buy at the time

foxalaska

When I was up there I looked hard at sled dogs, but uncle sam stepped in and said "time to leave"

How about bundling the wife up in a big sled behind your snow mobile. From my limited experience with Kubota I would never get over a hours walk from home unless someone with a dependable Ski-Doo was along. At one time you could get used wing tanks in Fairbanks, they made a better sled than anything you could buy at the time

Two things in Alaska I try not to pizz off. Grizzle bears and Mama. If the sled idea goes south, my only hope for survival would be making a run for Russia.

Tsunamibob

We purchased Mattracks but they haven't been delivered yet. They are due in a couple weeks. They are for our 1100c. I will post pics and info when they arrive.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Ran across this video had to share .. Like to have a set of those for my X1100c
They do appear to cost more than a x1100 hehehe

Last edited: