Title vs thread drift

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's a good time of year to get yourself a present. I recommend one of those 120 gig USB external hard drives. Sure does make the chore of backing up your data easy to accomplish.
Member Jim Slagle gave me a pointer to one a sale a year or so ago and I haven't looked back. Awesome way to 'get er done'.

I'm embarrassed to say I have not gotten all my pics moved to the external hard drive. That sure would make retrieval easier. Yeah, that's a to do item for me over the holidays. :D

Funny you should mention the usb drive. I got an email from Iomega this morning with another sale. pocket drives and desk tops 60 gb for $45.95 to 360 gb for $99.95. I just ordered a 100gb compact model to carry in my laptop case.

I have one of their 320 gb drives that came with retrospect back up software and my wife has an 80 gb compact with her laptop.

Now to drift back to dogs, here's Cara keeping my chair warm for me :mrgreen:

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 207

Dougster

Old Member
Funny you should mention the usb drive. I got an email from Iomega this morning with another sale. pocket drives and desk tops 60 gb for $45.95 to 360 gb for $99.95. I just ordered a 100gb compact model to carry in my laptop case.

I have one of their 320 gb drives that came with retrospect back up software and my wife has an 80 gb compact with her laptop.

Now to drift back to dogs, here's Cara keeping my chair warm for me :mrgreen:
Sounds like you guys have an awful lot of information to back up!!! The old Dougster just uses a 4GB flash drive and does just fine with it! My entire LIFE, such as it is, can be backed up on that one little stick. In fact, I used to use a much smaller flash stick and even that was more than adequate. :thumb:

Now I know that I am old and my life is kinda dull and my business is relatively small... but I must ask: What the heck info and files are you guys backing up??? :confused:

Dougster

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What the heck info and files are you guys backing up??? :confused:

Dougster

I understand what you are saying. My first hard drive was on an IBM 1130. 5 meg interchangeable Winchester platters. My first desktop with a hard drive had 10 megs. I guess I am a backup junkie. I've had too many laptop, desktop, and server crashes to not keep complete backups.

Like Doc, I run a small internet business. For my website customers I have archived copies of every version of their website. I can restore something they have asked to be deleted and can also show when something was added or deleted. I also have a LOT of pictures, @100 gb on a network 320 drive along with @120 gb of tar files backing up my server.

I also keep a full backup of 3 laptops and a desktop on the 320 drive I mentioned. I just looked and that has consumed @152 gb.

Even if you don't need much storage, the usb drives are really inexpensive now. For $45 and the cost of some backup software you can mirror your entire computer and be able to completely restore it if you have a problem

Jim

Dougster

Old Member
I understand what you are saying. My first hard drive was on an IBM 1130. 5 meg interchangeable Winchester platters. My first desktop with a hard drive had 10 megs. I guess I am a backup junkie. I've had too many laptop, desktop, and server crashes to not keep complete backups.

Like Doc, I run a small internet business. For my website customers I have archived copies of every version of their website. I can restore something they have asked to be deleted and can also show when something was added or deleted. I also have a LOT of pictures, @100 gb on a network 320 drive along with @120 gb of tar files backing up my server.

I also keep a full backup of 3 laptops and a desktop on the 320 drive I mentioned. I just looked and that has consumed @152 gb.

Even if you don't need much storage, the usb drives are really inexpensive now. For $45 and the cost of some backup software you can mirror your entire computer and be able to completely restore it if you have a problem

Jim
Well, I can't argue with that logic. Sounds like you actually do (or will eventually) need that much back-up storage space... and you are right: the cost is dirt cheap! :thumb:

Personally, I don't trust mechanical drives all that much... hence my own personal reliance on double backed-up CDR's for dead storage, redundant flash drives for active storage and web-based storage for a lot of my business-related stuff.

Dougster

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I can't argue with that logic. Sounds like you actually do (or will eventually) need that much back-up storage space... and you are right: the cost is dirt cheap! :thumb:

Dougster

The best way to never need a backup is to have it:mrgreen:

Part of it is my laziness. Back when storage space was priced as if it was gold I was more particular with what I saved. Now, I just save it all.

Jim

Dougster

Old Member
The best way to never need a backup is to have it:mrgreen:
Amen Brother Jim! :thumb: But in all of my years of repairing computers with failed hard drives... guess how many times someone handed me a backup tape or CDR or whatever???

Yep... You guessed it right the first time! :) ZERO!!!

Dougster

It's a good time of year to get yourself a present. I recommend one of those 120 gig USB external hard drives. Sure does make the chore of backing up your data easy to accomplish.
Member Jim Slagle gave me a pointer to one a sale a year or so ago and I haven't looked back. Awesome way to 'get er done'.

I'm embarrassed to say I have not gotten all my pics moved to the external hard drive. That sure would make retrieval easier. Yeah, that's a to do item for me over the holidays. :D

I like that idea. Gonna start looking next week.

: What the heck info and files are you guys backing up??? :confused:

Dougster

Doug Part of my job is to take pictures of the current job. Right now I am averaging about 60 photos a day. That lands up being anywhere from 300mb to 600mb a day of just photos. Yea they are for work but I would also like a copy for myself, so that one day when I am old (like you) I can reflect on my past. :yum: :yankchain: :hide:

Dougster

Old Member
Doug Part of my job is to take pictures of the current job. Right now I am averaging about 60 photos a day. That lands up being anywhere from 300mb to 600mb a day of just photos. Yea they are for work but I would also like a copy for myself, so that one day when I am old (like you) I can reflect on my past. :yum: :yankchain: :hide:
My Gawd Ed! You are even more pathetic than me! :D If you want to look at steel... just go out into your backyard and look at your "scrap" pile.

I understand there is enough there to build a second Golden Gate Bridge!!! :mrgreen:

Dougster

My Gawd Ed! You are even more pathetic than me! :D If you want to look at steel... just go out into your backyard and look at your "scrap" pile.

I understand there is enough there to build a second Golden Gate Bridge!!! :mrgreen:

Dougster

No not that much. Remember I do live by the 30 day rule. But also remember that there is usually about 20,000 to 30,000 tons of steel at the yard at work. So I guess I could take a pretty good stab at a bridge or something.
As far as the pictures go. Some of the ones I take are of some of the guys I work with and some are just good pictures of the construction industry. Any way some day it will be nice to look back.

Attachments

• DSC_2330.JPG
    DSC_2330.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 200

Dougster

Old Member
No not that much. Remember I do live by the 30 day rule. But also remember that there is usually about 20,000 to 30,000 tons of steel at the yard at work. So I guess I could take a pretty good stab at a bridge or something.
As far as the pictures go. Some of the ones I take are of some of the guys I work with and some are just good pictures of the construction industry. Any way some day it will be nice to look back.
30-day rule baloney! :rolleyes: If you needed to build a bridge on your property, it would be visible from outer space. :yum:

Dougster

LS248

Mia

Replying to e-mail from Doc as to why I haven't been on site, I have been working out of state and only home on weekends (and no laptop).

After being out 12 weeks with knee surgery, it was tough going back to work with all the snow.

Hope the Dougster is making a lot of money plowing snow this winter. In 1978, we had one heck of a blizzard here and I worked 117 hours without going home. Every 24 hours we had 4 hours off to shower and nap in a motel. Running a 980 Caterpillar 6 yard loader. The only one who made any money was Uncle Sam.

Want to wish everybody Happy Holidays.

Dennis

Dougster

Old Member
Replying to e-mail from Doc as to why I haven't been on site, I have been working out of state and only home on weekends (and no laptop).

After being out 12 weeks with knee surgery, it was tough going back to work with all the snow.

Hope the Dougster is making a lot of money plowing snow this winter. In 1978, we had one heck of a blizzard here and I worked 117 hours without going home. Every 24 hours we had 4 hours off to shower and nap in a motel. Running a 980 Caterpillar 6 yard loader. The only one who made any money was Uncle Sam.

Want to wish everybody Happy Holidays.

Dennis
Well, first things first: Santa needs to bring you a laptop for Christmas! :thumb: That much is crystal clear! :mrgreen:

Secondly, I hope that knee of yours continues to recover without re-injury. I just smashed my right kneecap the other day and was wondering... as I was sitting there in severe agony... if I would need knee surgery as well. :rolleyes: Fortunately, it is healing up much better than the left-side rib I think I cracked last week! Yes, I am old and careless and (apparently) prone to such little incidents & accidents. :eek:

Lastly, you giant loader operators get to have all the fun in and after a snowstorm... and nobody messes around with you ever! :thumb: You don't have to worry about client complaints and/or if clients are going to pay you or not. Instead, you get to stay in nice, open, well-lit commercial parking lots and enjoy yourself... probably while sipping on a large Starbucks coffee to boot!!! :thumb:

Dougster