How to install a Toothbar

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum xkrfan!

Stop by the introductions and tell us a little about your self and post some pictures of your tractor.

:nopics2:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Nice looking job.were you implying that Markham may have been the better deal? I see you got 6 teeth. Was that standard for your size bucket? I just got a new John Deere 2320 and want to put a toothbar on. For my size bucket Markham puts on 5 teeth but will install an extra for extra$$.
I didn't get a quote from Markham, but did hear that others got a better price than I did on their Markham.
I didn't ask how many teeth came on it. It just showed up at the dealer that way.

Welcome to NTT.

xkrfan

I think I've got the 59 inch bucket but will measure this weekend to be sure. Talked to I guess it's Melissa at Markham Welding ( she must be markhamgirl ) and I need to get the measurement and then decide if i want an extra tooth or not. This is a new machine for me so I want to do her right. Lots of rocks and roots up here in Northern Ontario, Canada.

xkrfan

well the toothbar sure looks serious.........won't get a chance to install it for a couple of weeks............looking for the best way to drill the 1/2 " holes.....read somewhere a bi-metal hole saw works nicely..........I'll try a 1/2" titanium bit drill with some oil........shim up with some washers and go dig some roots and rocks

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
well the toothbar sure looks serious.........won't get a chance to install it for a couple of weeks............looking for the best way to drill the 1/2 " holes.....read somewhere a bi-metal hole saw works nicely..........I'll try a 1/2" titanium bit drill with some oil........shim up with some washers and go dig some roots and rocks

A hole saw will work, so will a bit. Most buckets are not as hard as one might think they are.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Jerry,
I'm planning to install my toothbar tomorrow. I was going to pick up a drill bit. I don't remember what it takes. Do I need a 1/2 inch hole or a 7/8's inch hole.
I hate to make an extra trip back to Lowes ....so I'm willing to gamble on the bit size. Any suggestions?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Sal. I thought that was the size Jerry was trying to get to but I wasn't sure. I'll pick up a 7/8's when we are getting some other yard supplies later this afternoon.

I have a variable size bit but I don't think it goes quite that big. One more drill bit for my tool box won't hurt a thing.

I can't wait to dig with the toothbar. I've read there is such a big difference. Ought to be fun for sure. :D

Edit to add:

Welsome to Net Tractor Talk Sal. I'm glad you signed up, and saved me about 40 miles of driving. :thumb: :D

chowhound

If you have a TSC by you, Doc, I found that their bits were pretty cheap and did a great job on metal. OK... I haven't boughten one in probably seven years, but at that time a 7/8" bit was around 13 bucks. A couple pilot holes and she worked fine.
BTW, I stick my bolts in the opposite on my toothbar, to keep the dirt out of the threads.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the tip CH. I had already left work to get it before I saw your post. :pat: I ended up at Lowes and they did not have a 7/8's metal bit. I ended up getting a cone shaped one like Jerry's that is good for anything from 1/2 to 7/8's so I'll be good to go. Dang thing cost a fortune though. 38 bucks. :eek:

chowhound

Yep. The bigger the bit, the slower you go.
I have a bunch of step bits. They sure make drilling holes easy, but in thicker metal you need to drill from both sides like mentioned above, or you'll have a countersunk hole.
btw, the 7/8" was just a reference. I think I was drilling new pin locations on my old brush hog. I don't remember what size my toothbar bolts are, but 5/8" sounds about right.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks CH. I'll be out in the pole barn later this morning and I'll find out. Course with a tapered bit, I'll be ready for any size. :D :thumb: