Northern Tool Trailer

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A small but handy trailer for hauling more firewood or whatever.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4QjYW61h0[/ame]

Attachments

• TrailerFromNortherTool.jpg
    TrailerFromNortherTool.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 112

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Doc those little trailers are cute but I think a 4x8 is far more versatile. It's not much wider, mine has the same outer width as my Subaru so will go through anything the Subaru will fit through.

When I'm harvesting apples to take to friends in town I pull the trailer with the tractor and pick right into it, then come back to the barn and hitch it to the car. No double-handling of the apple bins. Or bring home 3/4 ton of sand/gravel/mulch. Or new toys I found on Craigslist. :mrgreen: Taking the same trailer offroad and on the highway is a huge advantage. Using one trailer for everything cuts down the need for maintenance, and for covered parking.

Cost for this one was a little less than that one, and its capacity (volume) is triple. The tractor can drag it across rough ground like that guy going over boulders. Single axle is easier to turn around by hand when its not hitched to anything. It's only 400 lbs as flatbed or 500 with sides.

That little one is cute, but for me I don't see a need to own a separate specialized piece of equipment for every different task.

Here are a couple of photos I've posted here in the past.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:wow: You even haul your tractor in it. Awesome.

As with many things, bigger is usually better for trailers. I have a 4x8 and a 6x12 trailer. Neither will fit on some of my trails ...so little one could be just the ticket. I like the wide wheels and dual axle for better performance in the mud. It could easily be towed with my ATV ...or with the RTV if need be. Since the RTV has a nice bed already I see more uses for this trailer with my ATV. But I thought those hauling wood might want to double their RTV capacity by pulling a small trailer like this.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Weld up some skid rails to protect your 4x8's fenders and just brute-force drag it through the woods, let it open its own clearance. :D

I think most of the owners of RTV's or ATV's on here won't take them through brush so bad that it risks scratching up their pride & joy so a 4x8 will fit through anything they would risk.

I wish I could own special separate rigs for every application but a larger tractor for the backhoe, and the little one for driving all over the orchard, plus this trailer and a specialized watering trailer (IBC Tote on a 40x48" HF trailer) are sufficient here.

I can see if you are going through stuff like in your Buckeye photo you would have to clear trail a little to get through with more than the Northern Tool trailer, so it makes sense for that application.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I got to be honest doc, that thing looks like 8 wheel barrow tires that are going to be a nightmare to keep air in! I'd look for a atv specific trailer something with only two tires!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
California, for me, here in the SE Hardwood Forest, a trailer like that is perfect for getting into places on the side of a hill, deep through the muscadine thickets between 3 foot diameter oaks with 3" to 6" diameter oak and hickory "seedlings", and rocks the size of footballs to negotiate over. Yes, my 4' X 8' makes it through but a trailer like that surely does fill a NEED that can and will be put to use for gathering firewood.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got to be honest doc, that thing looks like 8 wheel barrow tires that are going to be a nightmare to keep air in! I'd look for a atv specific trailer something with only two tires!
I've had great luck with green slime for fixing tires with slow leaks ....or I simply put tubes in them and only have to check them once a year and very rarely have to add air.

I have to agree though that the trailer would be better served with 4 extra wide tires rather than 8 narrow tires.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
California, for me, here in the SE Hardwood Forest, a trailer like that is perfect for getting into places on the side of a hill, deep through the muscadine thickets between 3 foot diameter oaks with 3" to 6" diameter oak and hickory "seedlings", and rocks the size of footballs
That makes good sense in that application.

My first thoughts were in response to the video, where he is using it more like a suburban landscaping contractor and the degree of specialization seemed unnecessary.

I think a tiny street-legal trailer would be more broadly useful for most people but you are right, NT's little 8-wheel trailer does look ideal for the tight maneuvering in the forest that you describe.

VA1100

I took these pictures today, this is a Northern Tool polar trailer. I like this trailer for going on trails in the woods, most places on my property are too tight to get a wider trailer through. It handles well when loaded, but the tandem wheels do make it a little harder to turn

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 65