RTV900 FUEL FILTER

Kanook

"SPHERICITY".....Thanks for the new addition to my vocabulary...And nice work on that plumbing job.

TRIBUTE100

A correction to my previous post. The 3/8" pex coupling measured 11/32" O.D. at the ribs, 1/32" over 5/16", not 5/8".

I installed the 3/8" pex coupling on the 5/16" fuel hose with screw clamps and it seems to be holding well.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I really liked the idea of the "shut off" petcock/valve. Really great to be able to shut down the fuel from the tank to do maintenance on the filter or the line itself. Yes, for many reasons it is nice to be able to easily drain the tank. I know for myself, that having a "drain" in the bottom of many carb float bowls is convenient for getting the fuel out of the system.

Older BMW , 70's and 80's, motorcycles extensively used fuel line "T's" that work great with quarter inch fuel line. Usually one doesn't even have to use screw clamps........

Anyway, you are doing a factory level type job, so hang in there Bud......God bless.......Dennis

TRIBUTE100

UPDATE: I replaced the plastic shut off valve with 1/4" barbs (picture in previous post on this thread) with a metal one with 5/16" barbs. The metal one, see link below, I believe is off better quality and fits tighter in the 5/16" fuel injection hose I used.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Unlimited-Fuel-Shut-Off-Valve/dp/B00230ECOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409170080&sr=8-1&keywords=FUEL+SHUT-OFF+VALVE+5%2F16[/ame]

Popo1945

Tribute, Thanks for the filter info & the link - I'm going to order one. If u google "radius zip ties" there's an entry for a supplier on ebay (cbal5766) & he has them for sale $14.99 for a 100. The ties are made specifically for fuel lines/ hoses. The ties are used a lot in marine applications I think due to cramped spaces on outboards. If u don't want or need 100 u can probably buy them individually through any marine repair shop - that's where I get mine. Nice install.

Fitch

I had one of those on my 2004 RTV900. It did not work well. There is no electric fuel pump on my RTV. If the fuel level went below 1/4 tank the filter wouldn't flow enough to keep the engine running when the RTV was backing up the bank into the barn. I put in a fresh filter. Didn't help. Removed the filter, RTV ran fine. I took it off and left it off.

I don't know if the newer RTV's have an electric fuel pump or not. If they do, it might work.

Fitch

PS: I found this site because I need to replace the CV joint boots on my 2004 RTV that has 1,900+ hours on it. Bordercollie's excellent post came up in a google search.

TRIBUTE100

Thanks for your comment Fitch.

My 2010 RTV 900 does not have an electric fuel pump. I noticed when I installed the fuel filter assembly, which came with a 10 micron filter, I had to fill the bowl with fuel before it would start and it ran rough for a while. At that time I only had, at max, 1 1/2 gallons of fuel in the tank. I noticed that it took a second or two longer to start. I then added 5 gallons of fuel using my new "Mr. Filter", and since then it starts right up. But that's all on level ground.

I was afraid to use a 2 micron filter, but there is a 30 micron available. I will be aware of the problem you experienced. It might be a good idea to "T" around this filter with a inline filter, just in case I have a problem. I usually keep my fuel tank topped off, so I will continue to do that. I normally use it around my property, but occasionally we go on some long trail rides. Our last one was about 5-6 hours long on some mountain terrain and it only used about 2 gallons of fuel.

Popo1945

Fitch, I have a 04 900 rtv with only 375 hrs (I know the hrs are correct since I purchased it new). I have not noticed any problems like you have encountered with the additional filter. It's my understanding that mechanical fuel pumps push a lot better than they suck. I don't know how many hrs you have on your machine but, maybe your pump is getting a little weak & can't suck through the additional filter. I have had an issue with the filter partially plugging. Changing the filter cured the problem. I believe that the filter plugged because it uses media to trap water present in the diesel fuel & there is more water in diesel fuel than in gas. I run the same filter setup in my pontoon with a gas outboard. I think the filter that Tribute is using separates water through mechanical means.
I'm going to switch to the fuel filter that Tribute is using & mount it lower. Or maybe install an electric fuel pump at the tank outlet.

Fitch

Fitch, I have a 04 900 rtv with only 375 hrs (I know the hrs are correct since I purchased it new). I have not noticed any problems like you have encountered with the additional filter. It's my understanding that mechanical fuel pumps push a lot better than they suck. I don't know how many hrs you have on your machine but, maybe your pump is getting a little weak & can't suck through the additional filter. I have had an issue with the filter partially plugging. Changing the filter cured the problem. I believe that the filter plugged because it uses media to trap water present in the diesel fuel & there is more water in diesel fuel than in gas. I run the same filter setup in my pontoon with a gas outboard. I think the filter that Tribute is using separates water through mechanical means.
I'm going to switch to the fuel filter that Tribute is using & mount it lower. Or maybe install an electric fuel pump at the tank outlet.

You could be right. My RTV has just under 2,000 hours on it but the problems happened when it was still new. We had to keep more than a quarter tank of fuel in it or it wouldn't back up the slope into the horse barn.

It could be my pump, or the dirty fuel that comes out of the bulk tank. We do a lot of filter changing (JD770, ZD21, LS160, and the RTV900). I bought a screw on fuel filter and electric fuel pump like the ones on my New Holland LS160 to put on the RTV but I haven't installed it yet.

Fitch