Time for New Cooling Fan

Pinnacle

Yep,The process of elimination.I thought you had checked that in your comment on 5/9/11 - but that is about all that's left. I would sure try it.Let us know what a new one costs. - I'll be out today but would like to know. Good Luck!!!!!!!! bordercollie

Thanks Bordercollie. I did check it before, but, seeing everything else seems fine, I may just change it to be sure. Will let you know if that works.

Pinnacle

well, still at a loss for what the issue is. Have been trouble shooting and am wondering is there is something amiss in the harness although it looks just fine.

Here's what I have done to date ;
installed new fan
installed new relay switch
installed new thermostat switch
installed new fuse
= still no fan activation when thermo is hot
checked fan operation through new butt connectors & plug by hot wire test at connection plug = good
checked continuity of wire from thermo to relay = good
checked new thermo was sending open signal when hot = good
checked ohm reading ( from shop manual ) on new relay = good
installed new fuse, just to be sure = good

Really ticking me off, but is nothing compared to what Peanut and Twogun are going through down on the river. Go figure.:confused2:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well This is sure to be pondered. If you needed to use the kubota, you could run the fan directly off the battery with an on and off switch and just leave it on when the key is on-. to get you by. as long as the gauge works I think you will be safe- but that is your call. Did you check both sides ,top and bottom of the original plug? I'm wondering if you checked the fan by undoing the plug and pig tailing the lower part of it to the battery to run it or just went with the straight wires. . We know the fan is good and that you have replaced those parts so I just keep wanting to think ,like Peanut" that one of the wires is not seated good in the top of the oem plug or maybe coming from the relay . I would be interested if it were mine, in maybe hooking up a 12 v light at that plug and seeing if power was being sent when the temperature rises. I would go from there to the find the little gremlin .I love the flex a lite fan and if it could get the power to it then I believe you would too. bordercollie

Last edited:

Pinnacle

Well This is sure to be pondered. If you needed to use the kubota, you could run the fan directly off the battery with an on and off switch and just leave it on when the key is on-. to get you by. as long as the gauge works I think you will be safe- but that is your call. Did you check both sides ,top and bottom of the original plug? I'm wondering if you checked the fan by undoing the plug and pig tailing the lower part of it to the battery to run it or just went with the straight wires. . We know the fan is good and that you have replaced those parts so I just keep wanting to think ,like Peanut" that one of the wires is not seated good in the top of the oem plug or maybe coming from the relay . I would be interested if it were mine, in maybe hooking up a 12 v light at that plug and seeing if power was being sent when the temperature rises. I would go from there to the find the little gremlin .I love the flex a lite fan and if it could get the power to it then I believe you would too. bordercollie

Thanks Bordiecollie, appreciate your continued thoughts and help. My issues are infatisimal compared to Twoguns and Peanut, but I may have to take another look at the OEM plugs for the relay, and fan. I may try to see if can power the fan through the relay connection to check those. Just seems like the open signal from the thermo switch is not getting past the relay to trigger the fan, as all else seems to be functioning. Even with a new relay it just seems something is up there.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Ok, I looked at the wiring diagram and here is my thoughts.

1= RG red/green to relay should have power all the time with key on. 12v reading here.
2= RL red/blue to relay should have power all the time with key on. 12 v reading here.
3= P pink to coolant temp switch should be equal to a ground, so touch it to anything grounded and the fan should come on or at least show power to the RB red/black wire going to the fan, when key is on.
4= B black from fan is ground so touch it to ground if unsure it is grounding and with key on, pink grounded, fan should come on.

12 v reading on RB when pink is grounded.

So with key on, pink wire to a good ground, the fan should be getting power. If not, bad relay, if so, bad fan or fan ground bad.

Just my thoughts.

Attachments

• RTV900WireDiagram.jpg
    RTV900WireDiagram.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 308

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great explanation Spudhauler . I imagine he can find the problem with that. With the fan tested good , new relay etc I think it is acting more and more like a bad ground or loose connection somewhere just right there. bordercollie

Pinnacle

Thank you both gentlemen, I will be doing more testing today, and see what I come up with. I do have a full copy of the service manual which actually shows various ways to test the separate items which I have been referring to throughout my seemingly never ending process !

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Pinnacle,
I know it is hard to test when equipment is on the machine and in place, but sometimes testing individual things you remove doesn't show the problem in the wiring it is attached to. If you test on the machine at the points I suggested, you should spot the problem whether it's in the wire the electrical unit or the power source. You need to make sure you test for 12 v, nothing less, at the points indicated, like into and out of the relay to be sure each is working properly. You will get through this, just be patient and don't give up.

Pinnacle

Pinnacle,
I know it is hard to test when equipment is on the machine and in place, but sometimes testing individual things you remove doesn't show the problem in the wiring it is attached to. If you test on the machine at the points I suggested, you should spot the problem whether it's in the wire the electrical unit or the power source. You need to make sure you test for 12 v, nothing less, at the points indicated, like into and out of the relay to be sure each is working properly. You will get through this, just be patient and don't give up.

Spudhauler & Bordercollie,

Well, many, many thanks are due. You saved me the cost of asking the dealer to troubleshoot this which I am certain would've cost dearly $$$$. I took your info, and checked as outlined.

What I found after reviewing the electrical schematic, was that the RG line eventually was tied into the alternator fuse within the harness. I could've seen this before on my copy of the drawing, BUT I did not now that the RG line should be powered 12V all the time when the switch was on, and when testing at the relay plug ( I don't confess to be hugely electrically inclined but can work out most things with a little guidance ). When I tested that point, I found less than 12V, but not zero. I then checked the fuse for the alternator and found it was partially burned, but not completely, hence why the full 12V's was not getting to the relay. SO, changed the fuse for the alternator at the fuse block, went for a ride to heaterup ( doesn't take long as it is very steep and hilly where I am ) and BINGO ! fan came on, temps on guage never went above 3/4 hot, and then came down to just above half way on temp guage. Added point too is this explains why over time the battery seemed to be slowly going dead as I am not often running lights which would've drained it quicker and pointed in that direction.

So, HUGE thank you to you both, I really appreciate the persistent support from the forum community, it has made a big difference in my owning happiness and experience, and I do like to fix things myself if at all possible. It always ends up being a good learning experience in some way big or small.

:Tip-Hat2:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Pinnacle!!

Thank you both gentlemen, I will be doing more testing today, and see what I come up with. I do have a full copy of the service manual which actually shows various ways to test the separate items which I have been referring to throughout my seemingly never ending process !

Congratulations Pinnacle !!!!! Glad you got it beat!!! Your salutation doesn't fit me but I was glad to help in some way . Spudhauler , That info of yours should be tagged with something like "fan troubleshooting" what 'ya think? Bordercollie

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
It's all Good when things work out.

Not sure how you tag a post, but it's a great idea.

:doggy: Keep those puppies running, that's what it's all about.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The tag feature is located above the quick reply box. I click on "edit tags " and add them that way. This way if someone searches for this subject, these threads should pop up. Thanks! bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

I had an issue with my fan per say.Actually i believe its a weak temp sensor as it gets to warm for my tastes.What I did for now is added a splice cable with connectors inline in the system.This way the fan can kick off and on as it should but if you need the cooling on a hot day or a heavy job you just flip the switch and force the fan on.Even when i replace the sensor ill keep the double system on and i love the option of having manual or auto fan.I just cant believe they want 75 bucks for a damn secsor!!!!