Quieting the exhaust

G

When I first test drove the rtv 900 I thought the exhaust noise would be acceptable, but now that I own it I find it annoying. Anyone know of some way to reducing the exhaust noise?</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Anonymous"]When I first test drove the rtv 900 I thought the exhaust noise would be acceptable, but now that I own it I find it annoying. Anyone know of some way to reducing the exhaust noise?[/quote]
Jokingly... take a Polaris Ranger for a ride. When done, you'll appreciate the RTV noise. You can't hear anything when a Ranger is at higher RPM's. With a RTV, the volume stays the same, just the pitch changes. I can still hear my kids easily.

Anyway...

I'm guessing you mean the engine noise as it's a lot louder than the exhaust. Diesels do rattle (in a good way).

OK. Do you have any bed liner? A spray-in liner will reduce the noise.

Others (member RTV900?) put some sound insulation under the box, mounted to the bottom of the box itself. That helped as well. Don't have the time to search myself, but thought I recall a thread where it was detailed what was done.

Basically, dampen the noise between the engine and the cargo box and it'll make it quieter (to you). In the wild, it'll still be the same volume for deer and such but it'll be re-directed away from the passenger compartment.

fastmvr

You might want to see the thread concerning adjusting the idle speed downward, as I did on my '05 RTV. Otherwise, can I interest you in a good set of earmuffs?

G

Yes I did do a spray in bed liner. I have run farm equipment for many years, but this is the first time the noise has bothered me. Must be the pitch. I had a slight ringing in my ears after driving it for awhile. Sound deadening might be the answer. It looks like Kubota could have put a better exhaust system than it has. I own and have owned many Kubota tractors and mowers. From the largest to the smallest. Kubota products are some of the best. If all else fails I will try and do a customized exhaust system. Thanks for your input.----

G

I'd like to see what custom exaust you could come up with. There is plenty of room to work under the bed. </P>

</P>