X1100 difficulty shifting transmission

I plowed snow today. I back dragged snow too....

Stuck shifter many times. Found the quick way was to engage the parking break (remember I have x1100c), rev the engine and at the same time shift. Works great. Left hand engage parking break, right hand engage shifter. Most of the time it was to go into reverse when I had piled snow up in front of me. Just reving the engine didn't do it, and I started to get the feeling that the emergency brake alone could do it.

I am pleased with the snow moving... got to make some adjustments to the plow, dealer didn't quite do it right. No need for the plow to lift the front of the Kubota off the ground.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Have you adjusted the pressure relief valve cable? It has made a world of difference in my machine. It is a good design, but it appears that most dealers/technicians are not aware of the fact that it needs adjusting. You shouldn't have to use the parking brake in order to shift! Your left hand should be controlling the plow.

pop58

Ditto BiffNH.

Adjust it under the hood to take out the slake at the break then adjust it at the unload valve.

sunnyside

Have you adjusted the pressure relief valve cable? It has made a world of difference in my machine. It is a good design, but it appears that most dealers/technicians are not aware of the fact that it needs adjusting. You shouldn't have to use the parking brake in order to shift! Your left hand should be controlling the plow.

I made the relief valve adjustment called out in this TSB on my RTV-X1100C and it made a huge difference in shifting ease. It was very easy to check and fix.

Many thanks to previous posters for info.

yep going to do that, just didn't have a big problem until yesterday plowing snow. It's going to my John Deere dealer for work on the coolant leaks and I'll have them do that too. Along with 200 hour service. My old arthritic hands aren't good in the cold weather.

sunnyside

It's going to my John Deere dealer for work on the coolant leaks and I'll have them do that too. Along with 200 hour service.
John Deere dealer?? Suspect you meant Kubota dealer to do the hard shift Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). Curious about the coolant leak. Where is it? Sometimes newer engines with a coolant leak is as simple as tightening a hose clamp. Hope it's nothing more than that.

heh sunnyside, these clamps have been tightened, all of them, several times! LOL

No I mean John Deere, Kubota mechanics at 2 different Kubota dealers are crap.
My Deere dealer use to be a Kubota dealer and I checked with them they will work on it.

sunnyside

heh sunnyside, these clamps have been tightened, all of them, several times! LOL

No I mean John Deere, Kubota mechanics at 2 different Kubota dealers are crap.
My Deere dealer use to be a Kubota dealer and I checked with them they will work on it.
You have a unique situation there. Here where I live, I cannot imagine Deere service techs working on Kubota equipment or a Kubota service techs working on Deere equipment. Especially when it comes to warranty work and/or needing detailed info only found in Shop Manuals and Technical Service Bulletins available to the dealerships.

Since I worked at a garage years ago pulling wrenches, I buy the Shop Manuals and do most all my own work even for a lot of stuff covered under warranty unless it is major. I think the hose clamps and possibly hoses need to be replaced. :myopinion:

You have a unique situation there. Here where I live, I cannot imagine Deere service techs working on Kubota equipment or a Kubota service techs working on Deere equipment. Especially when it comes to warranty work and/or needing detailed info only found in Shop Manuals and Technical Service Bulletins available to the dealerships.

Since I worked at a garage years ago pulling wrenches, I buy the Shop Manuals and do most all my own work even for a lot of stuff covered under warranty unless it is major. I think the hose clamps and possibly hoses need to be replaced. :myopinion:

I will buy the shop manual if they need it, most of them trade info back and forth so it's no big deal. My one dealer has changed ownership since I bought the machine and the other dealer that I've used couldn't find any TSB's for the coolant yet we know it exists. So using a dealer is useless.

It needs the 200 hours service and it's coming up on the year mark so there are a lot of things that need to be replaced. My arthritic hands aren't as good at that stuff anymore so I will have the Deere dealer combine the annual filter replacements and the 200 hour service.