Want to take the doors off your 1100?

mmolnar

For those wanting to or wondering about taking the doors off an 1100, I took a few shots. Looks simple.

First, the lower hinge is the only one with a snap ring to hold it in. Pop that off and the door should lift right off...after you detach the inside gas cylinder that holds the door open. Here's the first pic of the hinge.

Matt

mmolnar

The gas cylinder mounts to the door itself and of course to the door frame. Here's a shot of the mount on the door frame. If you remove this the cylinder will come off with the door.

I haven't done this yet, as I have no need to now. But my biggest concern would be to carefully store the door, as it is fairly large with a big piece of glass.

Matt

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Matt:</P>

I'm still an RTV wanna-be, but responses like yours (and others)have been a tremendous help. Really like the detailed explainations and the excellent pictures you have provided.</P>

Keifer</P>

mmolnar

Keifer,

When you make the leap you're gonna love it. It's quite a vehicle.

I'm glad the forum is helping you. I know I have reaped quite a bit of knowledge here. A lot of friendly and helpful folks.

Matt

Ricochet

That would be the way to take off the doors, but why would you? It defeats the purpose of a factory cab with heat & A/C. You would be better off getting a RTV900 if plan to do this IMO.

mmolnar

There could be many reasons. If you were working a certain job that required you to jump in and out of the cab a lot, removing the driver door might be an advantage. On many summer days up here in northern NY there is no need for air cond., it is actually nice to have an open cab.

Also, if you are in a situation where you need to speak to others outside the cab (other riders), you do not have a window to open on the 1100 (have to open the door).

At any rate, it's easy to do...one nut, one snap ring, lift off door. Nice option if you need it.

Matt

Ricochet

Yeah, I agree it is fairly easy to take off the doors & I see what you are saying but you might as well just get a RTV900 for all the things you listed. Just my $.02 worth.[:)]

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Matt:</P>

Those were my thoughts as well in regard to removing the doors on a RTV 1100. There are actually SOMEdays here in sw PAnot hot enough for A/C, or cold enough for a heater. Some days, good ole country fresh air is whats desired. And, some tasks (or fun) might require getting in and out of the RTV many times during a day. While I'm sure theone piece door-window combo on the RTV 1100 works great most of the time... havingwindows thatopenwould improve on an already great design. </P>

still an RTV wanna be,</P>

Keifer</P>

</P>

notlaw

mmolnar, thanks, that was gonna be one of my posts. And one of the selling points for buying my 1100, the door removal. To help with the previous answers, it just make this machine that much versitile. Especially for that "stop & go" work. Looking forward to the summer to go doorless.