Quick hitch

ghautz

The quick hitch I ordered weeks ago from HF arrived today. After looking at it and holding it up to my box blade, I have a couple of questions for California and anyone else with experience with them.

First, there is about 3/8" extra gap around the lower pins when the hitch is closed. That seems kind of sloppy. Is that normal?

In order for it to fit the BB, it will require an adapter. The one suggested in the documentation moves the top of the implement back a couple of inches. Why wouldn't a couple of 3/8" x 1 1/2" x ~6" steel straps with 3/4" holes work instead? These would fit outside the implement instead of inside like a normal top link.

After I ordered it, I recalled my previous concerns that I might have to replace the PTO shaft on my rotary cutter. The hitch adds about 5" to the operating length and I cut the shaft down for normal use when I got the cutter several years ago. I don't recall how much overlap it has. Have any of you had to replace one for use with a quick hitch? If I need another, are these things standard, or do I have to go to John Deere for another?

FWIW, I am not particularly impressed with the construction of the hitch. It is about what I would expect from HF. It looks rugged enough to do the job, though.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The QH's that look identical and cost 3x as much come with little sleeves for your implement's pins. These fill the gap you noticed.

I bought a couple sets of sleeves at TSC but I've never used them. The QH says it is suitable up to 45hp while I only have 24hp, so I don't expect to tear it up. I simply don't put enough hours on it to wear out the pins, and that sloppy fit doesn't seem to have any practical consequences. I suppose if you have 45 hp, the sleeves would help prevent bending the pins.

Your idea of straps should work. I bought the adapter (you have to phone Camarillo) and I use it most of the time.

It seems to me if you had to cut down the pto shaft, then it should be long enough. It doesn't hurt anything to pull it all the way apart. I would find where it is longest (probably with the mower dragging the ground) and mark the shield. Then disengage the QH and roll the tractor forward a few inches until the pto falls apart. The distance from your mark to the end of the shield would be the overlap. I expect a few inches is sufficient. I use my original Howse mower's pto shaft (unmodified) either with or without the QH.

TSC has pto extenders for $20 and I expect that is the simplest way if you do need more length. Or if you don't have an overrun clutch, buying one would be an excellent way to add length.

Cheap, tough, impressive. At HF you only get two choices! :) It's good enough for the girls I go with, as a Carpenter buddy used to say.

Erik

your strapping idea should work fine as an extender. I have an HF QH and had to adjust pin locations on my BB about 1/2". It seems plenty strong for the light duty types of work I do around my place. Like others have said, with HF you get what you pay for - and it's usially not pretty, but will get the job done.

After I ordered it, I recalled my previous concerns that I might have to replace the PTO shaft on my rotary cutter. The hitch adds about 5" to the operating length and I cut the shaft down for normal use when I got the cutter several years ago. I don't recall how much overlap it has. Have any of you had to replace one for use with a quick hitch? If I need another, are these things standard, or do I have to go to John Deere for another?

This is from BushHog

Hold driveline sections parallel to each other
and check for minimum 6 inches (15cm) overlap.
(Figure 2-2) If driveline has been marked for cutting,
overlap will be the distance between two marks. If driveline has less than minimum overlap, do not use.

You can order PTO shafts from...
http://ptoshafts.com/
or...
http://www.ccmachinery.com/pto_shaft.htm

ghautz

Thanx, all, for the replies. I just dug out the manual for my rotary cutter and (surprise) found instructions for using a quick hitch. It mentions bushings for the hitch pins.

I don't know where I found the info for cutting the driveline. No mention of that or the minimum overlap is mentioned in the JD paperwork. I will have to check it before time to mow.