Check your Flooorboard !

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I was doing maintenance on the 2012 Kubota RTV 900xt and decided I'd better check under the floor mat and found much rust. I also found a triangular center panel held in place by 3 Phillips head bolts. I thought for sure these bolts would be rusted to the bolt holes and break off but no :) they came right out.
Using a big screwdriver, I tapped harshly and then used a ratcheting end wrench on the shoulders of the Kobalt screwdriver (nice feature) . Each one broke loose like a piece of candy. After removing the triangular panel, I could see the driveshaft clearly too . This will be very handy if I need to replace that dastardly thing. I will keep ya'll informed but plan is ti remove as much rust as possible , use a rust converter and then bedliner on it. I may get a piece of rubber as the old one is rather worn. will just see. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I forgot the picture . It's been one of those weeks.
I don't know about using the fluid film under the mat but wish I'd tried it... something needs to be there to displace that water and mud that collects and hides out unseen, it just sits there like mystery meat on a sandwich. No idea till you take off the wrapper..... and then discover its liver spread.. collie

edit: picture shows vice grips holding the screwdriver but I noticed the shoulders on the Kobalt screwdriver so used the ratcheting end wrench instead .

Attachments

• KIMG0297.jpg
    KIMG0297.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 131

Lee1935

When I was a kid, tractors and old trucks
had a hole in the pan under the clutch that had a 1/8 inch hole for water & or oil to drain out. A cotter pin was dropped in the hole to let the water & oil run out and at the same time stopped some of the dust or dirt from getting in.

Maybe yank the rubber liner and throw in a chunk of carpet, it at least would let the water evaporate?

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
Best stuff I've ever used for stopping rust is OSPHO, a type of phosphoric acid. It penetrates and stops the rust in its tracks as well as acting as a bit of a primer, too. We used it on offshore platforms in a really tough environment. It's relatively cheap and water-thin so a little goes a long way.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That OSPHO stuff sounds good. I have a couple places I could use it. But my search for it showed all types and the OSPHO site did not list them all to explain the purpose.

RustTreatmentOspho.JPG

v10rick

Site Supporter
That OSPHO stuff sounds good. I have a couple places I could use it. But my search for it showed all types and the OSPHO site did not list them all to explain the purpose.

View attachment 12630
I have used this for several years. Applied with a household spray bottle the solution penetrated all the hidden cracks and crevices. I top coated with 3M undercoating which did not hold up at all. Scraped it all off and applied, CRC Marine Corrosion Inhibitor over the OSPHO. This combination is holding up nicely.
OSPHO has one product listed on their site so I assume it's all the same, just marketed under various names.