I have ford 601 but hate to dig ground

Milwaukee

Well on Sunday went to work and it so hard job is out water pipe that almost to be 60 feet with 4 men dig ground to 2 feet.

I was really try stay patient with that job but it got about 5 hours to do that.

I thought if I buy those middle buster so it be fast plus we can use 601 more than 1 time per month not good for that 601 due gas go sour fast.

I am look at this but not sure what 0 or 1 Category for Ford 601 that are almost same to N model.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200311195_200311195

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315805_200315805

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315807_200315807

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have one like the Howse one for 124 (the third link). It appears any of them would work for you though.
You'll be able to make a 10" trench very easily. 12" by adjusting the top link and running over the trench a few more times. No matter what angle you put it at I don't think you'll get much deeper than 12 inches with it. If that will work for you then you are in business. They work fine for what they do.

Milwaukee

Can you tell me how wide it make? 1 foot or less? I am look for one that can do 1 foot plus our tractor's tires are easy spin if much weight or pull to stuff. Can you get pictures of that?

Like try pull small stump near ditch it bend draw bar that are almost 1 inch thick steel was bend:eek2: . What happen that small stump have long root to under ditch for water

For you here tip do not try pull stuff in high gear like 4 or 5 or 6 or more gears can cause injury to draw bar or break yellow strap or chain.

It never happen but draw bar look really bad it almost bend but I will show you pictures.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No, the potato plow won't make a 12" wide ditch. No pics but the ditchs I've made easily fit the 4" drain pipe that I dug em for. Overall I'd guess the ditch is 6 to 7 inches wide at the top, but it narrows as you get to the bottom.

It's not hard to pull, at least I never had troube with traction like I do with my box blade when I take to big of a bite. But I would think that pulling a root with it would not be a good idea. I'd be afraid of tipping the tractor over.

Grrrr

I'd be afraid of tipping the tractor over.

I do not think that you would tip that tractor over pulling one the three point hitch when the implement was in the ground.

That was the idea behind the TPH, to prevent stones from causing back flips like the old trailer ploughs used to. Ferguson used to have a model that they gave to dealers that demonstrated this principle.

The tractor should just stop dead in its tracks when it hits something.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've only done it with my 30hp Kubota, but it was rather easy. I would venture a guess that 20hp could handle it easy enough. The trick would be small bites and running over the ditch more times.
The one issue I've heard of was someone with a bx2200 that had a hard time transporting the potato plow. The tip of the blade would only be an inch or so from the ground so it dug in sometimes during transport.