Howard rotavator??

quincy

I spotted a 4ft howard rotavator for sale in the classified adds. Do any of you have any info about these. There isnt a model number but the add says
"Old howard 4ft rotavator, would suit small compact tractor, cat1 link"
Would this be a good one or maybe something to avoid??

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never heard of a 'rotovator' but I'd guess it's like what we call a rototiller. Rototillers dig up the ground and make it ready for planting.

If it's not to far from you go over and take a pic or two. Many times the older equipment is the best deal by far, as it was made better. 4' sounds like the right size for your tractor.

quincy

Yeah, 'rototiller' in US, 'rotavator' in europe...

I phoned the owner a while ago and asked if he could send me a few photos. He describes it as "cosmetically in need of attention but mechanically sound". Hes a landscape contractor and he recently bought a new tractor that came with a new rotavator as part of the deal. Said to have been greased and maintained regularly... SOUNDS good.... Photos will tell a bit more.
He's 170 miles away so I'll be bringing a trailer and cash if I'm going to go. (340 miles in ireland is 10 hours roundtrip driving on sh*t roads)

Mith

Howard made decent bits of kit. Their walk behind rotavators set the benchmark for most others to meet.
If that rotavator is anything like their walk behind stuff it will be solid!

snowbird

I don't know what PTO horsepower your tractor is rated at nor what type of soil and how deep you'd want to work, but 4 foot seems like a pretty big chore for smaller tractors. I think I might want a minimum of 40 hp to work heavy clay soils to a depth of 6 or 8 inches, especially if the soil hadn't been tilled before.

shinnlinger

My neighbor in Oregon had a Howard walk behind and I second Mith, it was a serious rig that could do some real work. I helped him convert the ignition over to chevy electrics so he could keep it running on the cheap and that baby sure could chop clay were other models would just dance on the surface.

That said, farmers around here in rocky soil New England say
"You never want to buy a used rototiller" and with all the rocks that I have sent into the woods with my bush hog (which I bought used and have spent some time on with the welder, torch and grinder) there is something to the saying. It doesn't shave granite very well. BUt then again, a new bush hog would be just as beat up after a run around the feilds but for 5x the $$$

My wife is a fan of raised bed gardening so I am off the roto till kick for now