Hello from N Idaho Kubota RTV eng's trans

AdamsRepair

Hello all.
Adams Repair here in in beautiful N Idaho.
We have been rebuilding RTV transmissions and engines for awhile now.
They are generally a super tough pair, but let a miner run one underground for a little bit it will get broke. The old saying is you give a miner 3 steel mill balls and lock him in a room for a shift, and come back, one ball will be lost one stolen and one broken. ha ha ha. One of the mines We contract with has 16 or 17 RTV's 900 series 1100, and 1140 series. They use them for transportation to and form work headings. mostly up and down a ramp system @ 10 -15% grade.
they load them up with work supplies (over loaded) then put 3 big ol boys in it and drive like they stole it up a ramp for awhile. When the engine or tranny get hot and start losing a little power they just pull over and let it sit for a minute then go some more.
We get to see the results. We don't know to much about the RTV it's self we just see the eng's and trans here. joined this forum to maybe get a little more insight on the units... SO HELLO ALL.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Do you ever rebuild and sell engines and trannys? Once in awhile we'll get someone that is looking for one.

How many hours are you racking up on those RTV's?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to our forums. It sure should be interesting having you here. I hope you will share more of your stories on repairs and RTV use overall. Like Brian (who posted above) I'm curious how many hours are normally on the RTV's when you have to rebuild the engine or tranny?

Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

AdamsRepair

Thanks for the welcome.
Oh boy that's a tough one, I know they have a few with over 8000 hrs on them. But they have also lost engines with as little as 500hrs too. Abuse pays no attention to the Hr meter. The other day a tech said the miners told them we got that one a little hot. The tech went out over an hour later with a thermo gun and the head still showed 300 deg.
They usually put 1 engine and 1 or 2 trans in them then look at the over all condition of the machine, if it has lots of hrs and rough shape they scrap it. Then buy a new one.

AdamsRepair

CORES

Welcome to the forum!

Do you ever rebuild and sell engines and trannys? Once in awhile we'll get someone that is looking for one.

How many hours are you racking up on those RTV's?
I do have a D850 rebuilt out of a Lincoln welder.
A D1005 running hrs unknown, out of a light plant.
But I have no cores for 900 or 1140 series transmissions or cores for D902 and D1105 engines
I have 1 902 block with a bad cam bore.
"CORES WANTED" :whistling:

AdamsRepair

I will rebuild engines for a new customer. Yes.
Transmissions too, but like I said I have no cores.
I do have 1 ea 1140 series, maybe 2 ea 900 series transmissions that are rebuild-able.
But I did not put them back into service due to thin or holes in the cases from Mag chloride eating at them. We now undercoat the bottoms of them. Which helps tons.

Last edited:

AdamsRepair

I'm curious. What do you use for undercoating?

Truck bed coating by "Dupli-Color" purchased at NAPA (Go Napa).
Have tried others but getting them to stay on under brutal conditions is tough. Dupi-Color seems to work well on a clean ruffed up surface.:thumb: