UTD2 super & UDT ?

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
hi can please tell me what the different beteen utd2 super and normal utd? udt 2 costs a lot more why?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think super 2 is synthetic . I use it and stretch the hours between changes a bit. collie
edit.. also some say there is no performance difference . I did have a whine in my transmission before I used the sudt2 and I haven't heard it since I went with sudt2. I think it has more additives also so is better for cold weather some people say.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, it was a subtle improvement. I have a steep hill on about a third of my 1/2 mile drive/road.......I no longer had to floor it going up the slope, and when I did there was an engine RPM increase. Like Ms. Collie I extend my hours a bit..... God bless...Dennis

Kanook

My understanding is that UDT2 is what the Kubota dealers here in Canada sell as 'Premium UDT'......Synthetic..It is recommended for use in machines subject to very cold operating conditions. Works fine in milder temperatures but is more costly. I don't think the regular UDT is available in these parts of the globe.

urednecku

I was told by dealers here in central Florida the difference is the temperature ranges the equipment runs in. They don't even sell the UDT 2 or Super around here because it doesn't get cold enough.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sheep farmer in Australia? I expect urednecku's climate in Florida is identical temperatures, just more humid.

If freezing temperatures are rare there, then I doubt the cold-weather capability of the broad-range fluids would be relevant.

fishinbill85

I was told by dealers here in central Florida the difference is the temperature ranges the equipment runs in. They don't even sell the UDT 2 or Super around here because it doesn't get cold enough.

Well, that's not exactly accurate, Gulf Coast tractor in Plant City FL (Central FL) sells AND stocks UDT, Super UDT, and Super UDT2. I just bought another gallon of the UDT2 when I did my 50hr service. 24$ I discovered that when the machine had about 20 hours, the hydraulic tank oil was low so I added some UDT2, and by adding just that half gallon, the hydraulics became NOTICEABLY quieter. I just did my 50 hr service and topped it off again with UTD2. It is definitely quieter and smoother. When the time comes to drain and change all the oil, I'm converting over to full UDT2.

Kanook

I just read the label on the back of the Premium UDT jug...Says it is formulated for superior cold weather performance and meets the requirements of John Deere J20D.

urednecku

Well, that's not exactly accurate, Gulf Coast tractor in Plant City FL (Central FL) sells AND stocks UDT, Super UDT, and Super UDT2. I just bought another gallon of the UDT2 when I did my 50hr service. 24$ I discovered that when the machine had about 20 hours, the hydraulic tank oil was low so I added some UDT2, and by adding just that half gallon, the hydraulics became NOTICEABLY quieter. I just did my 50 hr service and topped it off again with UTD2. It is definitely quieter and smoother. When the time comes to drain and change all the oil, I'm converting over to full UDT2.

It's been maybe a couple years, but that's one of the dealers that at least told me they did not carry it. That's the dealer I got this tractor from, so of course I called them when the local dealer didn't have it.

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
HI guys thanks for all help!!!
I told the same thing.
autrailia parts go get hot wheather .
but the sate of victora it can snow 16 weeks of year but most of the time it get temp 5-12 c in winter
summer temp can range up 48 c hot dry weather!
there was Kubota dearler closeing up and a sale there .
where found a 20Lit drum udt2 that payed $125 for and 15 5 Liter dums of udt for $450.00

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm in New Hampshire and just did a complete fluid change and used SUDT2. I haven't noticed a difference with summer temps, but may notice something this next plow season. I have 250 hours on my machine in 9 months. The "book" calls for changing the hydraulic tank at 200 hours and the transmission at 400 hours. I couldn't see putting the transmission off that long so I did that too.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The manual calls for changing the hydraulic reservoir fluid at 200 hours and the transmission at 400. I felt that at least for the first fluid change the transmission should be done sooner than the call-for 400 hours. I inspected the magnetic plug at the same time and changed the suction and regular filter for the second time as well. The fluid looked good - no discoloration and the filters were really clean. There was a small amount of very fine "dust" on the magnetic plug. Now that I have this reassurance that the transmission and hydraulic fluids were clean after 200 hours, and I replaced them with Super UDT2 I will likely follow the recommended intervals from now on.