Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OH yes, not to worry young people., I am only trying to contain the thistles. They multiply like ants so can never get rid of them all. I love those butterflies too and believe me, granddaughter of Dennis, there are plenty left. We just need to have grass for the cows to eat because they are not allowed to jump over the fence and eat at the neighbors like the butterflies do. The thistles can actually get so bad that they can take over a pasture and limit grass for the cows and calves to eat.

YOU are the BEST JUDY~~!!!!!
I forwarded this to the Princess to reinforce what I had already told her...…..THANKS FOR WHAT YOU DO. I asked her if she likes the hamburger and steaks that she eats in her parent's or our freezer......Of course she does. That comes from the Beefmaster/Angus calves that she has helped Grandma feed out when she stays with us...…."Oh yeah" she says...….God bless the FARMERS AND RANCHERS of the United States of America. These people have made our country the best fed people in the world...…….

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
hey Collie

i have converted my electric fences to using fiberglass posts with the little spring steel clip to hold the wire. boy it sure works better and i have very little trouble chasing shorts on the fence. the posts i have been using are sunguard 1/2 inch x 4 foot rod. hope this helps save some money down the road and more time for wheeling in the Roxor.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We have a pallet of those posts in wait Aurthuritis. They are good. Any new fences will have them but there are untold numbers of the old metal t posts in use here. Yes, you are right.. I might get bored and have fence fixing withdrawal. haha. I know they are sunguard but would like to see how they really stand up to 20 years... I have some of the little 1/4 " temporary wire posts that are sunguard but the look crazed and splinter easily.
California, That is an awesome farm you have. More folks don't realize how much work an orchard is. Thank you for the pictures also. We have a lot of the wild lemons here in a certain part of the farm . Inedible but with huge thorns and very prolific. I hope you are never infected with those. much like a natural fence- one thing- if they were border around your property, your cows wouldn't out nor would evil get in.!
Dennis, We have plenty of milkweed plants I leave too. If there is a chrysalis on it , It bets left. Milkweed is poisonous though so must be careful with them...
Have ya'll ever noticed how most plants and insects that cause the worst harm are imported to the USA? wild lemon trees, jimson weed, fire ants,beetles, some termites, some leaf hoppers, asian beetles ,non native sparrows that build nests on top of baby bluebirds.... etc etc...
I also wondered why God made skunks and it was answered not too many years ago. Skunks eat yellow jackets ! I have seen this happen. Yes, there is a reason for all things in this world ! bordercollie

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea i will have to wait a few more years to see how they hold up as well,but for now i think they are well worth it. if you want to go real cheap get the untreated rod but i am sure they will splinter sooner. if they are permanent though i am unsure if it matters. i also have used the "Pasture Pro" composite posts as well but for the difference in price i like the fiberglass. also use quite a bit of 12.5 gauge high tensile wire single strand to divide pastures with real good results. cheap and fast to build. have adopted a new to me practice of driving 10 foot 2.5 inch SS40 galvanized pipe without braces to stretch single strand HT fence from. seems to work good also and don't have to build braces,just drive the pipe in until about 50 inches is left and tie on and if you decide to move it in a few years just pull it and reuse.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
yea i will have to wait a few more years to see how they hold up as well,but for now i think they are well worth it. if you want to go real cheap get the untreated rod but i am sure they will splinter sooner. if they are permanent though i am unsure if it matters. i also have used the "Pasture Pro" composite posts as well but for the difference in price i like the fiberglass. also use quite a bit of 12.5 gauge high tensile wire single strand to divide pastures with real good results. cheap and fast to build. have adopted a new to me practice of driving 10 foot 2.5 inch SS40 galvanized pipe without braces to stretch single strand HT fence from. seems to work good also and don't have to build braces,just drive the pipe in until about 50 inches is left and tie on and if you decide to move it in a few years just pull it and reuse.
I'd never want anything but treated. Anything plastic is toast after a few years. Even the headlights on the 2012 RTV are crazed . Its downright scary. We have some of the Ritchie water troughs that have a sun rotted place or 2 on the tops near the lids.
Had a bad storm last night with some hail and strong winds (short but rather hair raising) so got the Kubota out this morning to pull some large limbs off. This large limb is off of a tree that's over 170 years old. They've survived much but the limbs get thinner each year. My saw was on vacation today and would not crank. Glad for the Kubota and her hitch. (Roxor isn't ready yet- no hitch) . More trees over down the road but not on the fence. Thank Goodness ! collie

Attachments

• KIMG0343(1).jpg
    KIMG0343(1).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 97

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
glad the storm damage was light. one thing that will be interesting is how your opinion of the Roxor vs RTV changes as you get the Roxor into service. Hydrostat vs. Clutch?

yes the sun does take it's toll on synthetic material. i have some of the sunguard fiberglass posts that are getting close to ten years old and so far so good. i have some of those composite pasture pro posts that are over 18 years old and they perform as if they were new. but the fiberglass is half the price.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my old chainsaw wore out so i replaced it with a Milwaukee M18 fuel 18 volt. WOW!!! why did i wait so long??? i finished the job in the amount of time it used to take to get the old saw running.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
my old chainsaw wore out so i replaced it with a Milwaukee M18 fuel 18 volt. WOW!!! why did i wait so long??? i finished the job in the amount of time it used to take to get the old saw running.

I’ve replaced my old 14.4 volt Makita tools with M18 fuel tools. Big difference!

I moved the Makitas to the barn so we don’t have to move tools back and forth.

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
If/when my old Stihl dies, I'm going to take a hard look at that Milwaukee. The other tools from them I have have been really good.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Rough Weather

Rough weather moved thru this evening . Lots of trees down and huge amounts of rain- more than I've ever seen. Glad we have a generator because estimate on power restoration to those 78,000 without is 10 pm tomorrow. I have a picture of the electric fence with a tree on it and the road - the road is covered with water . A tornado also went 5 miles N of us. Much lightning also which is nerve wracking when you livelihood is out there walking around on 4 legs and tend to congregate in bunches under trees during storms . So far so good though .
Our neighbor farmer has 1000's of acres just planted and most likely washed away...
Its headed NE from MS so everyone in its path be careful and weather aware. collie

Attachments

• 4167.jpg
    4167.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 31

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
glad you are ok Collie. if you had a battery chainsaw and a log chain in your Roxor you could make short work of that tree.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have gas my old chainsaw in there and a chain too. ( Yea I need one of those battery powered ones !!) But I think I'm gonna let MPL do it cause part of that power line is down that it fell towards. If they hurry up and get out here that is. The power runs a couple of different ways out here and I think we aren't on that line, but not sure. I know we don't have power (generator though) just don't know what direction it comes from. What I may do is check to see if the line is indeed down and make a cut on the trunk and use the skid steer to push to the side. Leave it to county take care of the rest.
Gotta go to Ark in a few hrs if the other road isn't blocked. We had our last old cousin pass on my Daddy's side. Will be back tomorrow. This storm is headed Dennis' direction..

Ya'll all be careful too !!!! collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
be safe on the road and sorry for your loss. i wouldn't replace that old chainsaw until it is worn out either , but when that day comes remember the electric ones for sure. i see lots of steel posts in that electric fence. a possible short every fifteen feet and you woild be surprised as i was how much they drain from your fence even through an insulator. i can charge several miles now through a 1 joule solar charger and still get 6 kv at the end,now that fiberglass or composite has replaced my posts.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you ! No more buying metal posts for electric fencing. I'm convinced . I can lay my tester on the insulators esp old ones and see the voltage leak. new ones leak some too for sure. This picture is one of many showing the flash flooding yesterday. One area called the pecan orchard had about 20 feet pushed loose and pushed aways . Lost of work when I get back but too wet right now for the skid steer to even do anything but sink . The water was over this fence in picture (another area) as seen by debris.
Power lines are still down so grateful for the generator . County got the tree before I got there :)
Thank you for the loss comment, She was a very kind lady.
collie

Attachments

• 4185.jpg
    4185.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

v10rick

Site Supporter
If you cannot justify the expense of a new gas chainsaw (I could not) maybe consider a Chinese model from Amazon.
Been using a 52cc saw with a 20" bar for the past year.
A few minor issues like shipping damage and a stretched pull cord but for $120...no complaints.
Replacement chains are not pre-stretched but for $11 the inconvenience of adjusting the bar a few times is a minor one.

Status
Not open for further replies.