Really,Really,REALLY stuck clutch!

Mark777

Saturday: I just can’t seem to deliver this tractor!

It ran, shifted and clutched just fine when I drove it in the shop…and now??

Well, I pulled the compression release, fired up the glow plugs, depressed the clutch, released the compression handle and hit the starter…..bang, cough, chug, chug, chug - No Clutch - nada, zilch…nothing. And was it in neutral?? Nope! I hit my Yanmar 1610D, the SS12 project tractor, my wife’s new clothes dryer (witch I was moving into the house the next day) and it finally stopped but not before hitting everything when it made a sudden and very sharp left turn (I was holding the brakes and kill lever the whole time after it started).

Oh yeah, did I mention I just completely repainted this tractor last week LOL?

Sunday:
Now I know, or at least I thought I knew, how to un-stick a stuck clutch. I’ve even helped others do it. The first thing I did was get it out of the shop, aim it down the drive way, put it in high gear and started it. I drove for about a half hour and it wouldn’t pop loose. Then I did the following:
1- Strapped it to a tree from the draw bar pin and put it in high gear….it just spun the wheels alternately.
2- Did exactly the same but with the differential lock engaged…it just spun both wheels and dug two very deep ruts.
3- Strapped the front axle to the same tree, put it in R-2 (reverse) and it spun the wheels.
4- Attached the brush hog, put it in 6th gear and tore through the back acre hogging at high speed for ½ hour….nope, still stuck, and I’m getting a little PO’d.
5- Called Chuck, my brother in CA and who bleeds Kubota Orange and is also a diesel mechanic. I told him the whole story and he said just drive it. It WILL break free, Ya’ just have to keep driving it. So I did.
6-For two hours non-stop, then I had to bring it back home, add another 6 gallons of fuel, and drove it for another two hours while stomping on the clutch pedal periodically and using the foot throttle at the same time….I reattached the brush hog and drove it for another 2 hours.
Monday (today):
NOPE. It’s stuck and I think I found out why:

Attachments

• Disk.JPG
    Disk.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Split.JPG
    Split.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Split 2.JPG
    Split 2.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 52

Mark777

I said to my little brother "Hey, you gotta minute"? He and I split the Kubota in 45 minutes...that's a record for me!

He was kind enough to go to downtown Houston and pick up the new disk (to replace the one on the right LOL) this morning and we had it back together in hour and 50 minutes....Wow, it really helps when your baby brother is also a mechanic.

While he was gone, I spent the morning doing body and paint work to the dryer and the Kubota grille and front sheet metal. Happy to say the damage was minimal, reapirs went fast and the hood sat out in the sun drying while we put the tractor back together....

What a week end.

Last edited:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Shoulda bought a Yanmar! :D

But really, wow! Under a half day to split a tractor and put in a new clutch, then reassemble? That must be a record.