Fwd / Rev Rocker Pedal - BX2230

Luvmykubota

My BX2230 stops abruptly whether going forward or reverse. I asked my dealer about it and he said there is a small gas shock underneath the floorboard that acts sort of like a cushion valve to smooth the stop after you take the pressure off with your foot. If the shock is bad it lets the rocker return to center too quickly causing the abrupt stop.

Do you think I ought to buy a service manual before tackling this one? Have any of you already done it? I've run it for half a year this way because I'm a little skittish about popping the lid off Pandora's box.

Pics won't help - you can't see the durn thang!

Carp

Toyboy

I've just learned to be less abrupt when changing directions. The problem can be minimized if you practice at it. I still have it happen from time to time but not like when me and my BX 2230 were getting acquainted.

Luvmykubota

Yeah, I've gotten used to it too, but it's an aggravation for wife when she wants to mow the lawn. And my own personal view is that if I keep the little things caught up and repaired, the tractor will stay really nice. If I tolerate little 'bads', the tractor will deteriorate over time. We don't want that.

Kanook

Doesn't sound like anything that would require a service manual for...Having said that , when I let off on the pedal on my b1700 I want it to stop and not coast along fpr another 10 feet......WHOA! Nellie.

Toyboy

Coasting is not the problem with the BX series, it's the abrupt stop. With an educated foot you learn to start backing off before you come to having to stop or go into reverse. Takes a little practice but it's doable.

1kubota

I adjusted the tension spring on my BX2230. I backed the tension off which made it easier to control. Have to adjust to your liking.

Larry
Northern,In

ENTS

My 2230 rolls on and on and on after lifting off the pedal. I have lost a head light because of it. The small shock absorber on mine is doing too much to feather out the stop. Putting more tension on the spring just makes it harder (and fatiques the foot) to hold the pedal down. There's got to be a happy medium.

As far as a shop manual for changing the shock/adjusting the spring -- crawl under the unit and you will see the shock (YES YOU CAN!!) If you have a mid mount mower (MMM) take it off. The shock is a tiny thing, you wouldn't think it could cause such a problem. Don't need no shop manual for this one. Carp, I'll swap my shock for yours. Mine is too strong, yours is too weak.

Later,

1kubota

Fred,
As I said earlier I adjusted the spring for less tension. Sounds like your pedal is sticking. Did you grease the pivot on the pedal? The zerk is on the inside of the pivot. My pedal was sticking until I greased the pivot. Grease and work up and down by hand to work the grease in.
Good luck
Larry

Luvmykubota

Thanks, Larry & Fred. I'll give it a look before I put the mower on in the Spring. I may have to enlist the help of my son to see it, it's getting harder to lie on my back and focus on anything close with these dadgumm bifocals! He ought to help me after I invested a month or two convincing him to get a brand, spanking new 2620. He loves it, but he breaks my chops because mine is smaller.

I have kept it greased, but I'll check it more carefully.

ENTS

Fred,
As I said earlier I adjusted the spring for less tension. ...

You're absolutely right. I was back a*&wards on that one. As far as greasing the pedal, yep. WD40ed every bit of linkage I could find. No change. If I hadn't put the MMM on I was going to take the shock off. However, I've heard that w/o the shock it's an abrupt stop. I'm still gonna try it mid summer when I sharpen blades.

LMK,

I jack the front of mine up and prop it with jack stands. Makes working under there a lot easier -- like when changing out that fuel filter under there.

Later,

1kubota

It seems I got the name of the writer wrong on my last response ?? Looks like more than one fella writing??
The only time my tractor creaps is when it is cold. Once the oil is warmed up good everything is fine. I lubed all the linkage plus greased the pedal pivot. They try to hide the grease zerk but it's there. What year are your BX2230's
Larry

1kubota

You shouldn't have to increase the tension if everything is moving freely. When I got my tractor the tension was factory set??? When I released pressure the pedal returned to neutral too quick, darned near through me off the tractor, also was too hard to push far as I'm concerned. I have mine tension set so I can pull up on the forward end of the pedal to go in reverse instead of using my heel on the reverse end. I glued a firm piece of rubber on the bottom side of the forward end of the pedal to give my toes a little cushion. Sent a pic of kubota in the snow.
Larry

Attachments

• Kubota.jpg
    Kubota.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 44