I promised pics when done

tlk

I posted earlier that I was having this built for my south texas deer lease. Raises to total of 15 feet off ground level. I will put camo wrap on the stand when the season arrives.

All three are videos - enjoy

DwRam

Site Supporter
Very nice. Now let's see a person in the seat holding on at full speed. LOL

Good Job. :clap:

herman48

Do you sit in the chair and go up in it, or do you raise it first and then use a ladder? How much weight can that contraption lift, if you go up in the chair?

tlk

Do you sit in the chair and go up in it, or do you raise it first and then use a ladder? How much weight can that contraption lift, if you go up in the chair?

Yes it has a remote. You get in chair and it lifts you. Winch is 3000 lbs and basket and chair are lightweight. Very stable as is my Kubota.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sweet!

Have you had a chance to sit in it for awhile? 3K is plenty of winch but just wondering if it will slowly release the cable when under load. Several winch mfgrs offer a load-holding or mechanical brake to stop that slow release.

herman48

Yes it has a remote. You get in chair and it lifts you. Winch is 3000 lbs and basket and chair are lightweight. Very stable as is my Kubota.
WOW! That's what I need. I don't like going up ladders. Just don't drop the remote while you are way up there...

tlk

Sweet!

Have you had a chance to sit in it for awhile? 3K is plenty of winch but just wondering if it will slowly release the cable when under load. Several winch mfgrs offer a load-holding or mechanical brake to stop that slow release.

No I have not yet but thanks for the heads up. It is a Warn so it is a good winch - I will check out the brake option

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
With just a couple hundred pounds, you may not need a mechanical brake.

I'd throw some sandbags or something on it to get to your weight, run it up, measure from the RTV bed to the floor of the stand and let it sit overnight. The next day, take another measurement from the bed to the floor and see how much it dropped. It may be 1" or it may be 10'. If the drop is negligible, I wouldn't worry about it.

Disclaimer: These winches aren't intended for vertical lift so take any advice I may offer with a grain of salt.

tlk

With just a couple hundred pounds, you may not need a mechanical brake.

I'd throw some sandbags or something on it to get to your weight, run it up, measure from the RTV bed to the floor of the stand and let it sit overnight. The next day, take another measurement from the bed to the floor and see how much it dropped. It may be 1" or it may be 10'. If the drop is negligible, I wouldn't worry about it.

Disclaimer: These winches aren't intended for vertical lift so take any advice I may offer with a grain of salt.

Thanks - great idea - I weigh 185 and the cage and seat are very lightweight. I will test it and let you know

rjglenn

The crowd goes wild and begins to chant "blueprints, blueprints, blueprints...". Actually, have you considered patenting & marketing this? The only change I would make is some type of safety stops so you're not resting on the cable. If the cable were to break and it collapsed where do you think that pipe is going to go?

tlk

The crowd goes wild and begins to chant "blueprints, blueprints, blueprints...". Actually, have you considered patenting & marketing this? The only change I would make is some type of safety stops so you're not resting on the cable. If the cable were to break and it collapsed where do you think that pipe is going to go?

A buddy actually made it for me. The drop from the seat fully raised to the lower pipe is around 4 feet. The pipe would just drop into the existing lower pipe. So if cable broke it would jolt someone but I don't think anything horrible.

Also the frame that holds the lower section is bolted to the buggy in three different areas. So if a bolt broke or came loose the whole thing would still be secure. Whole thing ran me $1300 - $400 for winch, $250 for metal, etc. and $650 for labor. I thought that was very fair.

herman48

If I found someone around here capable of building something like that for my Kube I'd have him do it before next deer season. But what about laws that forbid shooting game from a motorized vehicle? In some states it makes no difference whether the engine is running and the vehicle is moving or not.

Mark.Sibole

Thats the only concern is on state laws.Here in michigan only handicapped can hunt from a vehicle.Even though the motor is off and key isnt in if it has an engine on it its considered motorized which is a bunch of shit.They act like you are going to go up the the bucket and drive down trails with it.You would think some place common sense would actually kick in but then again politations have no common sense.

tlk

totally legal in Texas - used in south Texas because the brush is so thick you cannot see deer - this gets you up above the brush

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Member AJDillon had a similar setup (and also from Texas).

Couldn't do a hunting rig like that here in PA. :(

Fitch

Member AJDillon had a similar setup (and also from Texas).

Couldn't do a hunting rig like that here in PA. :(

You're right about PA. A friend of mine built a hunting trailer. To be legal he had to put jacks on all four corners, jack it up until the wheels were off the ground, and un-hitch it from the tow vehicle.