lesson learned

Does anybody know what happens if you drive your rtv with the bed in the float position? Drove to the farm to beat a rain storm about a mile. The smell was terrible, almost like brake pad burning, but I did not want to stop. I just drove it home and all seems well. I have 2014 x900 but my guess is they are all the same. I don't know how the hydraulic system works so do you think I hurt anything? I know dumb mistake but wanted everyone to be aware and not do the same.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting. Have you noticed anything since your post? Would like to know what the smell was. Do the bed hydraulics work normally now? Hope all is OK!

All seems fine with the lever in the neutral, normal, position. That was one of the reasons for posting this to see if someone knew what the smell might have been. Hot fluid???

Lee1935

All seems fine with the lever in the neutral, normal, position. That was one of the reasons for posting this to see if someone knew what the smell might have been. Hot fluid???

not a expert but I suspect the float position does nothing but direct fluid to go through a relief valve, driving a mile might get the valve hot enough to stink but it shouldn't cause any serious problems☺☺

ovrszd

Float position won't cause fluid heat. The pumped fluid is going back to "tank" same as always. Difference is the valve opens between the "raise" side and the "lower" side to allow movement. No bearing on the normal transfer of fluid throughout the system.

Very curious to hear resolution of the problem.

Might have been something else? I did notice when driving to the farm it seemed to be lagging and top end was 17 mph, on blacktop road. I did check the parking brake and it was off and also no parking light was on. The only common denominator is the bed was in float. Today when I drove it everything seemed normal again. I don't want to try driving it in the float position again to see if that is the problem but I guess a short drive won't hurt.

ovrszd

Sounds like possibly the E-brake was slightly on. ( just saying ). I have done it. :bonk:

Yep. If you end up with my brake lever in just the "wrong" position the light will not be on, but the brake will be applying pressure. Hope it's something simple like this!!! :)

Kanook

I own an 04 model and am assuming the more recent models operate the hydraulic dump of the cargo bed in the same manner. Is it possible that what you are believing to be the "float" position, to actually be the "down" position. If the lever is locked in the down position then the fluid is directing the cylinder down. This used to be an issue with the older models (like mine) as it would overheat the fluid and actually cause the reservoir to melt as it was plastic. If the lever is stuck in down as opposed to float the engine will be presented the additional load and consequently the engine RPMs would drop. The "float" position is all the way forward and past the "down" position and requires considerable effort to force the lever past the down position. If indeed your lever is actually all the way forward past the detent then the linkage from the lever could be out of whack.

I had my RTV a few years before I discovered the detented "float" position because the detent presented so much resistance that I thought it was the end of the levers travel.

I'm pretty sure it was in the float position but can't be 100%. I also thought you had to hold the lever in the down position to dump and when you let go it would spring back to the neutral position. I will try and duplicate the same scenario before long. I am a fair weather user and waiting for warmer temps. As Doc probably knows it is supposed to warm up next weekend here in the Cincy area. I put about 20 hours a year on my bota.

I stand corrected, sorry for jumping to conclusions. I drove it again the same scenario with the bed in normal, neutral, position and the smell is still there. Still not sure what it is but only shows up if on the road at higher speeds for a while. Only other common denominator is Kubota just replaced the rear wheel housings on a recall. Something is getting hot but ain't found it yet.

May have found the problem. While putting the hand throttle cable on I removed the storage compartments to gain access. I happened to look down at the alt. belt it was about to fall off. Long story short Zimmer tractor was supposed to do a service on it before I bought it with 293 hours on it, yeah right. I only got the smell if I drove it for a mile or so. Fan not turning and the oil gets hot. I should be able to test drive tomorrow.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Splitlogger, I had my alternator belt bite the dust a couple of years ago and my battery light came on when it quit charging- my battery went down from the radiator fan etc.. I was close to home though and was glad because my temp gauge went up as the 12 v fan quit working . The belt gave a stink right before it broke.. Does your alt/bat light come on when you turn the key?
Thanks for letting us know what's happening . :tiphat: collie

Kanook

Hmmmm!! This thread got me thinking. The last time our RTV900 was out pushing snow for about 3 hours, upon return to the shop I detected a bit of a smell from the dump bed area. I thought it was the smell you get when electrical wires heat up. The Snow blade on the RTV uses an electric driven hydraulic pump to power the up/down and left/right angling and draws a quite a bit of current as it only runs when the demand for pressure to perform a blade function exists. ... couldn't find any obvious heated wiring. Got me wondering if my alternator belt may have been the source...Will be checking.

Yes, the light comes on with the key. It is a pretty nasty smell when it gets hot. Still, have not test driven but will soon. Mother nature finally helping out and my list is a mile long.

Test drove yesterday and did not detect the smell. I left it running and looked at the fan and it was spinning away. Hopefully, I did not hurt anything before getting the belt tightened.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i seriously doubt any damage was done. the older models didn't even have an oil cooler. also there is an oil temp light on the dash that lights when oil temp gets above a threshold. and even then nothing is over limit.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Agreed, I think it was the slipping belt that you smelled. If it was the engine or radiator getting hot, the warning lights should have come on. In my case, the battery light came on - my 12 v radiator fan quit working as the battery went dead so the temperature went up.