DIY transport box

quincy

Finally, I got some free time to do some more to my transport box project. I got the sheet metal folded in a fold press so all I had to do was weld on the side plates. the 'bucket' is made out of 3mm mild steel. The sub frame is made of 10mm X 60mm flat bar. Did some work on the sub frame this evening. Heres a few photos of the progress.
box4Small.jpg

box2Small.jpg

box1Small.jpg

box5Small.jpg

box3Small.jpg

Next step is to do some more drilling and get the subframe squared up and all welded up.

B

Barnboy

That looks really nice. I like making things but that darn steel is expensive!

quincy

I agree barnboy. The price of steel has gone up here too. So far I've spent about €50 ($70usd) on materials.
Having the steel folded only cost me the promise of a pint or two to my friend.
To buy a new 4ft box here is about €300 ($430usd) so I figured what the hell, its a nice project and if I can build it for my €100 target, I'll be happy.

N

Nicahawk

That's a professional looking homemade transfer box. Looks like when your finished it's going to be pretty stout! Should last forever. Great job! Post more pics when finished.

Mith

Good to hear from you, and very nice looking box too. With the strength you are putting into it you could probably use it as a scoop too.

If you dont mind me asking, what did a sheet of 3mm plate run you (presumably you bought a 4x8 sheet?)

quincy

Good to hear from you, and very nice looking box too. With the strength you are putting into it you could probably use it as a scoop too.

If you dont mind me asking, what did a sheet of 3mm plate run you (presumably you bought a 4x8 sheet?)

Hey Mith, yeah, nice to be back and even nicer to have some quality time in my workshop. It's been a couple of months since I got in there and made something!
I didnt buy an 8"X4" sheet. Luckily the supplier near me had a few 1mtr X 2mtr pieces. which worked out perfect for me. I didnt want the box to be wider than the tractor so a 1mtr (3ft4in) wide box is perfect for my little bota. That keeps the box inside the wheel track by about 2 inches on each side.
I'm still toying with the idea of putting some of that 10mm X 60mm flat along the front lip to give it strength. Not too sure there yet. If I did want to back into piles of dirt, I would prefer to have the lip edge a bit stronger than 3mm. What do YE think? I dont think my tractor will have the grip or power to break the scoop, but all it takes is a stubborn rock to bend 3mm.
I will use it as a scoop but it will have a soft life. Using it mainly for distributing driveway gravel and sand around my place. A hudraulic top link would be a cool addition down the road but I'll make the box with a tipping action for the time being.

I paid €40 for the sheet of 3mm Mith. This time last year it was around €25 for the same material.

Mith

40 euro, thats about £30 or so, dang, I was hoping it'd be cheaper than that....

I'd go with the cutting edge now, it'll be easier to weld on while its not bent :)

Have fun in the shop, cheers

quincy

Got it finished. Works a treat. I recon it'll hold about 2-3 times the amount my wheelbarrow takes, so for me, it is ideal. Heres a few pics...

Transport_001.jpg

Transport1_001.jpg

Transport2_001.jpg

Transport3_001.jpg

Transport4_001.jpg

Transport5_001.jpg

Transport6_001.jpg

Transport7_001.jpg

The mechanism that releases the locking catch
Transport8_001.jpg

The locking catch for holding the scoop to the frame
Transport9_001.jpg

Added the lip along the front edge to strengthen it.
Transport10_001.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice work Quincy. Good to see you back in action here on NTT. :thumb: Cheers! :beer:

Mith

That looks real good, nice design.

Whats next in the pipeline? :D A front weight bracket might be an idea, you've made the box strong enough to handle a heck of alot of weight.

quincy

That looks real good, nice design.

Whats next in the pipeline? :D A front weight bracket might be an idea, you've made the box strong enough to handle a heck of alot of weight.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need one. When I fully loaded the scoop I could feel the front go light when i hit a few bumps. I like the look of the Kubota cast iron ones but big $$$ so yeah, the thinkin cap is on for that one. I have a bunch of "weider" 20lb weight lifting weights, I recon something straightforward mounted off the front might do there.

Next in the pipeline..... Tidy up the mess I made in the workshop!!!

Not a backhoe or FEL yet Mith...!

N

Nicahawk

Got it finished. Works a treat. I recon it'll hold about 2-3 times the amount my wheelbarrow takes, so for me, it is ideal. Heres a few pics...

That is very professionally done.:respect:
icon14.gif
Good job!

quincy

Well, I got to play for a little bit this evening!

One word would probably sum it up....... "Outstanding"!!!

I must have moved about 3-4 tons of gravel just before dark. Not a hiccup with the scoop. picks up material fine, I think I got the capacity just about right, that was just luck. I recon it holds a little more than my little tipping trailer but with the added convenience of not having to load the trailer by hand. With a bit of practise, I was picking up and dumping with the scoop like a pro. Tractors and implements, what a great invention!! I dont have sore arms or sore back..... Happy guy here. Anyone want to buy a wheelbarrow or a small tipping trailer, going cheap...lol...:yum: :yum: :yum:

I'm thinking a roll over bar (ROPS) might be the next project....

quincy

Just flicking thru some old threads... adding a pic to this one...

The back loader I made a couple of years ago, still working strong...

Using this improvised jib I cobbled up a while back, made for lifting & placing railway ties...

Still haven't ponied up for a FEL yet... lol

DSC_0282-2.jpg

I hope you guys and gals are keeping well?

Hi, great job on the back box. Gonna get to one of them soon for my wee kobota B6000- new to me. based in co louth. Any ideas on where to get a ROPS or how to manufacture one myself. I am trying to clear a smallholding for crops and grass. Bit hilly adn have a few dodgy moments! Great wee tractor though well capable of anything I have put her to! Age old problem of the reversing PTO and no 3 point linkage! Trying to get sorted with the 3 poont linkage kit this week though if you have any ideas locally much appreciated! Sorry for hijacking your thread just got over excited when I saw your Irish and making your own attachments ! Cheers

Rops

Well, I got to play for a little bit this evening!

One word would probably sum it up....... "Outstanding"!!!

I must have moved about 3-4 tons of gravel just before dark. Not a hiccup with the scoop. picks up material fine, I think I got the capacity just about right, that was just luck. I recon it holds a little more than my little tipping trailer but with the added convenience of not having to load the trailer by hand. With a bit of practise, I was picking up and dumping with the scoop like a pro. Tractors and implements, what a great invention!! I dont have sore arms or sore back..... Happy guy here. Anyone want to buy a wheelbarrow or a small tipping trailer, going cheap...lol...:yum: :yum: :yum:

I'm thinking a roll over bar (ROPS) might be the next project....

Hi there very impressed with the link box. Have a wee Kubota and miss the fel so gonna give the link box a go in the interim. Thanks for the pics they will be a great help.

quincy

Seems like I need to give that scoop another lick of paint! Not bad for somethin I built 10 years ago I s'pose... :smile:

Hi All,

It's been a while since I visited NTT. I have some catching up to do! :clap:

(Thanks for helping me with my login issues Doc).

K

Attachments

• Kubota hedgetrimmer 1.jpg
    Kubota hedgetrimmer 1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 20