Kubota RTV 900 transmission problem - hardley moves in gear!

dmatlock2

This is the point of no return. Might be a few hours before I get back. Lot's to do to get to the plate. The plate kit K7571-91374 is how I found this post in the first place.

dmatlock2

Holy hell that damn allen is set. Yes the 17mm socket one. Was it welded on the inside? Does it have left hand threads? Do I have to remove that plug? Yes that is the hours and date of installation written on the filter. It doesn't say 16361r it's 1636hr.

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_163226.jpg
    IMG_20200402_163226.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 59

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
4 years between oil and filter change is to long regardless of hours.
just unbolt the cover and pull it off

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If filters are hard to remove... I once had to use a small chain ,bolted tight and a large screwdriver as leverage to get a terribly tight filter off. The band type filter wrenches would slip but not this chained one. Works ok if a tight filter is ever a problem but always exercise caution and look for pending problems as attempts are made to remove one of those buggers. collie .

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just for future readers of this thread who are experiencing similar problems. good communication is critical and this is a great example. one of the first questions was about the condition and make of the oil and filters. my advice starts always at that point in order to advise for the cheapest most likely causes of problems. in this case the oil has very few hours and very much time in years on it and to boot the filters are aftermarket. it has been well established by experience that these little machines last the longest and perform there best using SUDT2 and OEM filters. fast forward to this point of disassembly of expensive parts when it is possible that the suction filter may be the only problem. next is the possible failure of parts at a much to early time. all of the above is my opinion and i don't want to start a long conversation on oil. just my opinion.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Agreed, A fine machine needs quality filters/fluids . The oem only cost a bit more than the low end filters/fluids. RTV is a a cadillac machine , treat it like it deserves.. actually much better machine than a cadillac that I once knew of. collie

dmatlock2

Ok, so I sat down and started to remove the cover when I thought about the relief valve being off spec, so I figured I better check the other one also. Lo and behold it's off. I already removed the fluid from the tranny. I must check the adjustment of the other for scientific purposes. Back goes the oil and pressure gauge. Delays delays.

dmatlock2

http://nettractortalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=133279&postcount=344
I'm really hating this part right now. Manual bypass is a serious pain. This is not going to be fast or easy.
Side note. I'm back to getting the plate off. Long story but hearing metal crunching sounds isn't good. I'm suspecting the charge pump failed during the pressure test. I never got over 1000psi. Doh, forgot to prime the system and draining the oil removed the prime most likely. Reved it up once, twice, and hear strange noise. Oh well, back to tearing it down to check the plates.

Last edited:

dmatlock2

that valve should only bypass if it is popped. it's intention is to unload the high pressure circuit so the shifter can be moved. so it is actually an unloader valve. so if it isn't leaking it is ok.

It's got to be removed from the links to get the main plate off.

dmatlock2

First brass looks and feels good. Not surprised. This isn't what I think was wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_190022.jpg
    IMG_20200403_190022.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
GOOD JOB. your pressures weren't to far off so i hope the plates are your only leak. and i think they are. are you going to get into the valve body ie pump and motor? if you do and see any wear at all then they are damaged. another thing to contemplate is when you get this all fixed/primed and ready to run you should check pressures to make sure they aren't to high.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
there is an old member here. his handle was Adams Repair. do a search for his posts in the archives. he had very much experience with the 900 in a very harsh environment. in one of his posts i remember him saying that he had boosted the pressures to 4000 lbs and more without damage but he warned to be careful. so search for adams repair. i don't remember if there was an apostrophe in the name or not. found him AdamsRepair

dmatlock2

Well if you think those are bad, take a gander. These are so much worse. No fingernail needed on these.

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_085923.jpg
    IMG_20200404_085923.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 45