Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Jamie......YOU have been doing the cam thing LOTS more than me....What is it that you use?........Golly you are neighbors with Moultrie aren't you? I remember when I was doing the Bumper Buddy purchase and then the return of a motor you knew them as they were right down the road..........Or is that another outfit?.......

YOU get up early Bud.......God bless.......Dennis

Been using Cuddeback for years. Ever since they came out with the first digital scouting camera. Oh crap, they were so pricey. The very first digital scouting cameras, Cost much more than a rifle back then. (When you could get them)
But they worked. I learned so much dealing with these things.
Prices go down like everything else as competion shows up.
Camera speed means much with these scouting cameras.
Nothing worst than to get a camera shot and nothing be there, or back end of a deer, or even worst than that, a human photo ( damn poucher ) cut in half where all you see is the back half of his body or a picture of one of your deer being dragging away with a rope around his neck . On the other end of the Rope going up out of the camera shot is all you would see. Get a fast camera.

I remember when we used to use the film cameras. They done good, BUT, then again, that got pricey after awhile. (200+$ at first)
Would go buy the "Bonus" packs of Kodak film. Go to the woods and load up camera. Could not wait to go back in a few days. CAREFULLY, and I mean carefully rewind camera film in the gadget. If you accidently let ANY light source in the camera. "POOOOOF", you just messed up a roll of film. And most of the time you would not know it until you got it to Walmart ( always done the one hour photo, could not wait) and the lady would say " Sorry" , your film has been exposed to light . PISSED OFF YEA !!!
I would have from six to eight "film" cameras out back then with the film style.

Then came the Cuddeback digital, and life changed for the better.
Now, with technology has come so far in the scouting cameras, I see where many
has cought up with and passed up Cuddyback. And the prices are much better. That why I'm looking for another brand ...
So that means more cameras to set and see !!!!

The company with the "Bumper Buddy" was ON TIME FEEDERS in
Louisiana ....
Don't know where Moultree is from .... think they had somebody else making their cameras with their name on it .....

We have purchased so many Feeders and several of your Bumper Buddys from them also. Good company ( ON TIME ) !!!! Great Service !!!

.......... jamie :starbucks:
P.S.
What is great, is to catch a poucher tearing up / and or stealing a camera you set out for him to see . And catch him with the IR camera he don't see !!!

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
This was sent to me today. Thought I would share.

Christmas Wish several years after a womans death ....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG-xGNh3diw[/ame]

........ two guns

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
This was sent to me. Thought it would be something
educational to see >>>>

First patient treated with Obamacare

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5NvP_bya0[/ame]

......... two guns

Mark.Sibole

Well the 2013 Deer season is at its end.Myself and Both boys got their deer.We all took does to balance the heard out the best we could.To bad neighbors and citiots dont use the same practice we use.Seen 6 small bucks ranging from 2 spikes 3 four pointers 1 five point.All should be shooters next season if poachers and cars dont get them.All in all with all the doo doo we dealt with we made out good.Have a freezer full of meat and im just getting ready to butcher the last one and grind it all up for brats and kielbasa.Ill run a 60 /40 mix this time with 60 being pork so they arnt so lean.Now back to normal life of plowing snow and dealing with pain.At least we all stayed safe with no accidents to ruin a season.So long 2013 and hopefully 2014 will bring in a few big bucks to shoot.

Heatwave

"... we all stayed safe with no accidents ...."

That's the best part of your note. I'm glad it all went safely for you and your family. Happy New Year.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Our deer season was a flop. Talked to a bunch of friends and the take this year was about 10-15% of a normal year. Don't know why but the deer hunkered down and weren't going to move.

As I type this, I see Heatwave's name in the previous post. We're going to get the opposite. Forecast has our lows as low as -14 degrees by early next week. Brrr. Will probably have to fire up the 2nd wood stove on those nights.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Don't know why but the deer hunkered down and weren't going to move.

Your right zoom ..... The deer is NOT moving at all this year. We went threw this about seven to nine years ago and don't have a reason.
Now we did have a super acorn crop this year. And deer will walk over anything just to get to a acorn.

Our season will close 31 January ....

Things has got to get better. Cameras are showing them there. But they will only move at night. ( 11-3 ) Even the rut is acting crazy. There is a few been taken. But nothing like it should be.

.......... two guns

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Not looking forward to the 50 mile drive to the airport in this mess. We have about 4 inches so far but the heavy snow is to come later along with wind chills to -30 and lots of drifting. Airport says the girl's flight should be leaving on time.....heard that before.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Flights are being cancelled all over the place in the mid-west.

Yep, it's going to be cold today and again early next week. Our forecast is 4 degrees tonight and -14 on Monday. Add a little wind and that will make it a little frigid.

I'll be plugging the tractor and RTV in a few hours before using either. Tractor doesn't seem to care but my RTV is seriously warm blooded. Going to run over to my other property and grab a little kero to add to the diesel.

Mark.Sibole

Yes its been off and on here on the hunkering down.Some nights i seen a lot of deer then they quit moving for a week at a time due to the radical weather changes.I heard from a lot of people that the deer movement just wasnt normal this year.Weather playes a big part on the movment.Lots of wind and snow.We have 26 inches on the ground right now.Today ill go clean the blind out and keep adding food till they quit coming in and head to the swamps.I generally dont see any deer from mid Jan till spring around here.They all yard in the swamps where there is water and out of the severe winds.
Im just thankful it was a safe hunting season.Thats all one can really ask for.One of these days id like to to some pig hunting but none even close to me.Would be nice to get some free pork to mix in with the venison for brats and kielbasa. On another note deer carcuses will be placed in the woods for yote bait.Maybe i can thin them out to.Yotes are like Democrates.Totally useless and are fun to shoot lol.Have a great and safe 2014.May you be democrate and liberal free in your life.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear about the Deer kinda being non-moving this year........Was beginning to believe that the new neighbor ,who brags on how big a hunter he is, was poaching them out........I guess we shall see down the road....For now it's turkey pics or tree rats if hard times come........God bless.......Dennis

Heatwave

The reason y'all are having trouble finding deer is that they're all in our back yard, eating the corn I toss out for them each evening.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Talked to my Dad and Stepmom last night. They now have a ton of deer that come up to the house. Like Heatwave, it's because they put out 10-20# of corn outside the back door every afternoon.

Baiting the deer is illegal in these parts so hunting season had to end before they could start putting it out.

RedAnt

I believe that some new land owner cut a number of trails that changed my local deer movement. Luckily I am that guy! I know deer like it when I snow blow the roads on the property. They tell me with their tracks.

My wife likes to walk the dog to the creak and have paths to keep moving for the cold weather walks. The deer like to use them too. For all the tracks I see, I have not seen a deer for months.

More surprising is the huge turkey population. I saw a lot of tracks in February looking at the property. After moving here, I only saw a few birds. For many months traffic would get stopped by flocks crossing the road. But few signs of them on my land. Only thing I have guessed is that some of the coyote yipping was over turkey kills, and they decided to go someplace safer.

We will see what happens this spring when I try out being a backyard chicken farmer. I assume that the food (and hens) will bring in a number of animals. To date the most formidable predator I have had eyes on was a large bird of prey. My neighbors said that they lost four hens to the hawk /eagle.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I believe that some new land owner cut a number of trails that changed my local deer movement. QUOTE]

You messed up their house.
Deer don't like changes at all.

Also, getting deer on you place is not a problem. Keeping there is the secret !!!

Put out some feeders and enjoy bringing them into your property.
Also might want to try some cameras to see what you are bringing in ..........

...... two guns ........:2gunsfiring_v1:

BaiJiu

We get to view a lot of deer (white tail) on our property but they are all does and fawns, I don`t ever see any bucks, I like the idea of the camera Two Guns. I`ve been considering one but can`t figure out which one to buy, the reviews are all over the place. Every time I settle on one I see a review that they started failing after a few months or the battery doesn`t last or picture quality has diminished or the timing is too slow. Is there one out there with a decent price that stands the test of time and quality.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I've been using Cuddeback cameras since they went digital.
Great cameras.

Don't know how much you plan on spending.
This is where I've been purchasing mine for years ..............

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm#q=cuddeback

Now I know there is a few men that been using the new Moultree something camera, and is very pleased with that model.

Let me see if I can find what model he has ....

.......... two guns

Status
Not open for further replies.