anyone ever swap R4 tires for Ag tires?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I about got stuck and could have ended up down a big ugly ravine this afternoon. Leaves and wet made for to much mud on the hill. My R4's filled up with mud and would not go any further. I tried and tried until I just made a big muddy mess. I was near the top of a hill where I had a sharp turn and could not make that turn. Backing down the hill with the leaves and mud filled tires was not something I wanted to try, but I was left no choice. Slow but sure I backed down the hill and another 1/4 mile before I could turn around. No fun but better than being stuck and having to leave the tractor in the woods as I was 1/2 mile or so from my house.

This is the 2nd time this month I've had to surrender to mud due to the wet conditions. I don't use my tractor for mowing any more so I'm strongly considering going with Ag tires.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you came out o.k. on thatDoc . That is probably the way like I felt when I got too close to a soft spot in a dried up pond with the skid steer. Think quick"mud".....
I went with Ag tires on my tractor and am glad . . I didn't know the R4's took a different rim- That is good to know. I had almost bought a used tractor( before finding the Kioti) with them on it thinking I could just change them out. My ag tires are the only way I can get into pastures with the sprayer in the early spring and our land is flat plus- they are so nice for a garden- they don't seem to have as large a footprint. . Good Luck and I hope you can find some used or trade. bordercollie

urednecku

When I bought my M7040, I tried it with the R4's and the M6040 with ag's. Ag's would easily go in 2wd where I had to go to 4wd to move with the r4's. No comparison.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I was aware they take different rims. I saw two Grand L 3010's on the dealers lot when I was buying and one had the Ag's the other had the R4's . They looked like two different tractors. The Ag's make the tractor taller for sure.

I thought of keeping the R4's to swap back and forth but that does not seem like a good idea. The tires and rims are heavy enough, but loaded there is no way I have the tools to swap them myself, and I can't imagine what job would be better done with R4's now that I do not use the tractor for mowing. Mowing was the only reason to go with R4's since they are easier on the lawn.

I seriously doubt i can find used rims and tires to fit my tractor. I'll be calling my dealer and a few others to see how much change I'll need to swap out the set of tires & rims. I'm afraid it's going to be in the 2k range ... but until I ask I won't know for sure. When I bought the tractor R4's were 600 more than Ag's; so if the dealer will take the R4's on trade it might not hurt as bad. I'll keep yall posted.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc,

A couple thoughts.

If you go to the dealer for new tires and/or rims, talk to a salesman who can get them as "Whole goods" (basically a sales item). Normally, that's a lot cheaper then getting them from the parts department. On the RTV, it was something like 30% higher when ordering from the parts department.

Another option to consider is getting the rims from the dealer then going to an aftermarket tractor tire store for the tires themselves. That may save you some coin as well. I did this and ordered my tires from M.E. Miller (in Ohio) and even with shipping, they were much cheaper then the dealer.

If your dealer doesn't want your R4's, consider keeping them, especially the fronts. When you get the new ones mounted, have them suck the ballast liquid from your old and put in the new. If you should blow a tire when running the R1's, all the ballast will leak out so the tire on your tractor won't be heavy. You'll have a spare ready to go to get you home. The front tires have a tendency of blowing easier so just lift the front end off the ground with the loader and it's as easy to change as a car tire.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a flat on one of my front tires a year or two ago. It was early spring and I was digging dirt at the bottom of a hill to move the dirt up by the septic tank for fill. I did not check the air pressure in the tire and when digging a big ole bucket full of dirt sure enough I busted the seal on the rim. fluid all over the place made for a muddy mess. and I was stuck in the muddy mess and could not get the tractor to move out of it because of the mud and the flat spining on the rim. No fun at all.

The dealer I talked to has no interest in my R4's, but will sell me wheels and tires for 500ea (rear) and 140 ea (front). So I'm looking at 1280 for a set of Ag tires. Not bad. Plus I'm due for a little service so I can get all that done at once..... when / if I decide to pull the trigger on this.

Anyone know how much higher the tractor will sit with Ag's?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc-have you checked on eb?. We just priced some 17" replacements tires for my niece's honda and local dealers wanted $1000 for the 4 Michelins alone- found them on eb for 680 delivered plus the mounting locally. bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a pretty good price on tires Doc. Eyeball the size he got you before you leave with them. I don't recall which tractor model you have otherwise I would look it up for you, but for the front tires in particular, I believe there's different sizes depending on whether your tractor is 2WD or 4WD.

I don't think your tractor will sit any higher. When you switch to AG tires, the rims and such are different sizes (normally smaller) which should give you the same height.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It might have been an optical Illusion on my part; that's why I'm asking about the height difference.
It will be a smaller / narrower footprint with ag's won't it?
I have a Grand L 3010 4x4. I bought it on close out in 2002 when the 3130's were coming out.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It will be a smaller / narrower footprint with ag's won't it?
I can't speak for narrower (since mine are plenty wide) but I still think the overall height for both the front and rear will be close to the same. As I recall, and especially with 4WD, they need to maintain a certain height to keep the gear ratio correct for when you're in 4WD.

EDIT: If you pull up the specs for your tractor, it gives tire sizes for Ag and others and whether it's for 2 or 4WD. To keep the ratio right, spot check to make sure they put the correct Ag tire size on. I'd look it up for you but this PC doesn't do PDF's. Also, glance on dimensions for the tractor, especially height. They don't list different heights for different tire sizes/options.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thought on the specs Brian. I had not thought of that.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
R4/ Are they the same as so called, Industrial tires? or are they the mowing type?
R4's are also known as Industrial tires. Extra strong and a good choice for all round work. While they are not the best tire for mowing, you can use them for mowing, which I did for a few seasons. They are great for loader work and okay in the woods, but if it is muddy they do fill up with mud. Ag's / R1's are much better in the mud. Turf tires are made specifically for mowing and chores where less aggressive tires are needed.

As for me swapping or getting as set of Ag tires for my Kubota Grand L 3010 ... it is an expensive swap and I have cooled my jets on this for now. Holiday expenses and other incidentals have taken over and I can't see spending 1500 to 2000 for an new set of tires and rims for the tractor at this point.

Dargo

I have a complete set of each for my tractor. I don't know if it depends on the size of the tractor or the brand, but my actual experience is quite different. In mud and snow both I get such little additional traction with my R1's (which are loaded), that I haven't bothered putting the R1's on in about 4 years now. I'm actually thinking about selling my complete set of loaded R1's because I just don't need them.