New New Holland TT45A

fishrman

After many many years, I have finally broke down and bought a new tractor. This one will replace my old 600 Ford. It is sad to see my 600 go but I keep telling myself it is just a material thing. I have held onto it the past 20 some years as it was my Grandpas tractor but I don't have room for two tractors and I felt like I needed a safer and more reliable one. I made a deal with the local New Holland dealer for a TT45A. A friend of mine owns one and likes his allot. I told him that I was worried about starting it in the winter months and he advised I get a heater to plug in. I asked for that to be added but then talked to another individual who told me the glow plug should be enough to start it. I then said something to my friend about this and he told me that they don't have a glow plug. Then he stopped and thought a second and said, well, I don't think they do! So, that is my question, do they come with a glow plug or not and if not, is that something that can be added? I am still waiting on my new one to arrive. I am in Iowa and they have to truck it in from Wisconsin. Thanks for the help and looks like you go a great site.

urednecku

First, welcome to the forum!
I'm not familiar with NH, but I would think if they were needed, glow plugs would be part of that engine.
The dealer would know for sure, just ask him. I can't see them selling a new tractor that would not start in the area!
I'm sure some body will be by soon that knows more about them than I do.

fishrman

I was thinking they should have one if they don't. Before I take delivery on it, I will see if one can be put on if there isn't one. Thanks for the welcome too! With this new tractor and the fact it is a diesel, I may have some more questions pop up now and then. :wink::tiphat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi fishrman! Welcome to Net Tractor Talk!!!! I'm glad you found us.
New Tractor. Congrats to you. That is always exciting. Sure understand not wanting to part with Grandpa's old tractor, but the safety and better reliability of the new one will help convince you in a hurry that you made the right move.
I have a 2002 Kubota and thought I might need a heated dip stick or something, but so far I have not had to add anything to get her to start up in the wintertime. I suspect you'll find the same with yours. These new tractors are a thing of beauty. The upgraded gadgets and stuff to make them more dependable and to be able to do more with less HP always amaze me.
I suspect you'll be like a kid on Christmas morning getting your new Tractor (I know I was). Hope they don't keep you waiting to long.
Please post a pic or two of it when you get it ...and do a review of all the things you like about it.

fishrman

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will be happy to give my review after putting some time in on the tractor. I have heard lots of good things about the Kubota. I was just talking to a guy the other day who told me he has a glow plug on his Kubota and has never had an issue with starting. I assume you probably have one on yours as well?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, sure do. Turn the key on and hold it in the on spot until the glow plug goes out, then turn it to the start position. Works every time. I thought all diesels had to have a glow plug but technology nowadays is hard to keep up with. I just enjoy the ride. :D

Last edited:

fishrman

Hope you are right about all diesels having one. I imagine they aren't necessary in the south but I would think they would be a necessity up here in Iowa and other northern states.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know it's easy for me to say but I would consider it a non issue. If they came up with something besides the glow plug I suspect it will work just as well .....and if the cold does give you issues a block heater (heated dipstick that you plug in) is so simple to add that it's not worth giving it much thought. Better be figuring out what project you are going to tackle first. That sounds like more fun for sure. :thumb: :D

fishrman

You are probably right. I just like the glow plug idea. Nothing to worry about plugging in.
As far as projects go, I always have some of those. Will be used mostly for mowing.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure sounds familiar, I got mine for the mowing need at the time. Now I use it for so much more than mowing. I'd be lost without it.
What all did you order with your tractor? Did you get a Front end loader?

fishrman

Sure sounds familiar, I got mine for the mowing need at the time. Now I use it for so much more than mowing. I'd be lost without it.
What all did you order with your tractor? Did you get a Front end loader?

So far, I just got a tractor coming! Yes, I would have liked to had the loader as I could see it being very handy for a variety of things. I may still end up getting one but had a hard time justifying an additional 6000.00 for one. :pat:
I have allot of the 3 point equipment already.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I figured you had a lot of implements. 6k for a FEL :eek: Dang, they've gone up since I bought mine. If I bought it new with the tractor I saved a few bucks. I even asked advice at the time about an FEL ...cause I was figuring on waiting and adding it later, even though it was about half what yours is going for. 3300 w/ new tractor or 3800 later. Not sure why the price difference, but they explained it at the time and it made sense.
After listening to the guys with FEL's I decided to use the budget stretcher and got one with the tractor. I had no idea how handy it would be. Now I would not have a tractor without one. Understand finances come into play but I hope you can see clear to get yourself a FEL in the near future. Your back will thank you plus all the extra work you can get done with one will amaze you.

urednecku

It is amazing how handy you find the FEL, especially if you never had one before. I wish I had known 10 years ago...we would have had one. I suggest you get one soon as you can! (Yea, I can spend some-one else's money easily!)

As for the glow plug, looking at my operators manual, my M7040 does have them, but it says "the glow plug indicator comes on when the coolant temperature is below 0*C (32* F)" That might explain why I've never noticed it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: Yeah Red, that would explain why you've never seen it being down there in sunny Florida. :D
Like Red said, it's easy to spend someone else's money but ....if there is any way possible you can add the FEL now, you will thank us later that you did. New tractor financing might make it easier to add the loader now than a year or two down the road ...cause the tractor isn't new anymore. Plus it would be a whole new payment. ....That is how I got mine ...adding it to my new tractor financing. Over the term of my 5 year loan it was a few dollars a month that I am so glad I paid out then, so that I had the loader the whole time.
off my soap box now ....:hide:

fishrman

Thanks for the input on the loader. Guess I just have to justify it in my own mind. I hate making payments on anything and I am lucky enough to say the money isn't preventing me from buying it. It is just hard for me to justify spending it when I will use it 95% of the time for mowing. I was also thinking that hooking up the loader and taking it off wouldn't be any fun. If I could just leave it on all the time instead of having to mess with taking it off and on, it would be much easier. Maybe they aren't that big of pain. I know I would enjoy having one and maybe I will get one for this next year. One of the reasons I got the new one was for tax reasons. I needed a right off. Tax man is hitting me very hard this year!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is a very good position to be in. :thumb: :applause:
I was the same exact way. I was buying mine to fill a mowing need. Plus I didn't like the idea of taking it off and on. All I can say is getting the loader was 100% the right thing to do. I ended up mowing with mine on. I never have taken it off. :hide: But I hear, they are not to bad to take off. I now have clamp on forks for the loader (I can carry big awkward items much easier), a clamp on ball hitch for moving trailers (awesome way to place trailers exactly where I need them in the pole barn), and this year I got a tooth bar which helps the loader cut through dirt like butter. I also do brush hogging and have lots of multiflora. The loader pushes over small trees so I can run over them with the brush hog, plus I use it to smash the multiflora before backing into it. Plus I used it to water newly planted pines that were out of reach of my hose (I have a 4 acre lawn) ...that bucket will hold a lot of water. :D I've moved landscaping rocks and carried sack crete to the work site, ....and I'm sure there are other uses I have not mentioned.
I already had mine when I saw it suggested that you ask the dealer about taking it off and putting it back on, and ask for a demo before you buy ....to see if that is to your liking.
When ever you finally decide to get a loader you'll wish you had done it sooner (if you are like me).

jwstewar

Staff member
Congrats on the new tractor fishyman...oh, you are a fishrman, not a fishysmelling man.:yum:

I love my blue tractor. My NH has glow plugs. Like most diesels (seems like other than Kubotas), I use my glow plugs year round. It just starts so much quicker and with less smoke than without using them. I went out on Saturday to take down the Christmas decorations, it was 15 in the barn at the time. Hit the glow plugs once (about 10 seconds till the light went out), hit the started and it was started in about 2 seconds and smoothed out in about 5 seconds. Let it run for a little while to warm up the fluids. I then used the FEL as a motorized wheel barrow to carry all of the decorations back to the barn.

I can't believe how much that FEL is. I think mine was only about $3500 for my little guy. With my little guy you raise the loader, pull 2 pins to lower the support leg, reinsert the pins in the leg, lower the loader to the ground. Pull a pin from each side, "raise" the loader which pushes the tractor away. Then you do the hardest part. Shut the tractor off and disconnect the hydraulic lines. All in all, just a couple of minute job. BTW, I bought my tractor for mowing mainly. That is probably down to about 60% of the use now though. It gets used for everything.

fishrman

OK, you guys are starting to get me convinced. :respect:
I would love to have one! Perhaps I need to check on some more prices. I don't think the tractor comes standard with the needed hydraulics so that is one extra cost. I can see mowing smaller areas without worry about the FEL but if I am out mowing CRP with it, bouncing around like I often do, I can't believe it would be very good on it. I would have to take it off. I try to mow at least all of my CRP one time per year. That is about 30 Acres. I could sure use the FEL for all of the reasons you guys have mentioned and will look into it further.
jwstewar, which model do you have? And, by the way, sometimes I am a fishysmelling man! :sorry: Least that is what my wife tells me after I get home from :fishing:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So I decided to shop around for loaders for your new tractor to see if the price you got was in line with other dealers. I didn't realize the TT45A is a 2wd tractor. The front end might not be hefty enough for a FEL or it is not as easy to add the loader to the set up and thus the higher cost.

Here is a a link specs on the TT45A and a list of the most popular add on's for your tractor.
http://www.everythingattachments.com/New-Holland-TT45A-Attachments-specs-s/3853.ht

Attachments

• NewHollandtt45a.jpg
    NewHollandtt45a.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 77