Remove hitch before using dump bed

Treehouse

Site Supporter
Here's an "Oops" story that the goods folks here can avoid.

Was using the hydro dump today to dump some scrap logs and forgot to take the hitch/ball out of the rear receiver. Long story short when i lifted the bed, the lip of the tailgate got hung up on the ball. When I went to lower the bed it straightened of out the lip.

Not a big deal by any means and nothing I can't straighten with a board and a rubber mallet.

It hung that low because I'd droped the cables to spare my the tailgate from the weight of the logs.

Thought I'd pass this along so no one has to repeat my mistake!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
NO Bud, thats a custom aiming spot there in the middle of your tailgate so that when you are backing up to a trailer you KNOW where exact center of your vehicle is as you aim for the trailer...........Thanks for the thought. You arent the first to do this; but glad you are honest enought to talk about it......God bless......Dennis

Treehouse

Site Supporter
Thanks Popo, glad to hear I'm not the only one. Guess the saving grace is my 5 year old boy said "dad, it's super cool, it looks like where the flame comes out of the back and makes it go zoom!" when he said that made me feel a couple inches taller and think my 'bota could do 27, heck even 28 mph. And, like Denis says it does help with aiming the battering ram, er, I mean hitch.