Spend my Money for me!

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
that is tall enough for cows. what kind of goats do you have? i have found with goats the joules in the fence are more important than anything

We have two nubian goats. I was liking the idea of the 10" wire being hot because I figured coyotes would nose up to it and get zapped... but this is good advice thank you

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the coyotes and deer seem unaffected by any of my electric fences. i do have a sanctuary that i shut my goats into at night and a rifle by my side by day.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, those deer will jump the fence like nothings there. Sometimes they will somehow wrap a ground wire to a hot wire and short out the fence. The coyotes are bad and can zip under really fast.
MSU has an electric fence system design for row croppers that has 2 lanes of fencing 3 ' apart. The outside row is one wire 10" off of ground. The second run has 2 wires 18 and 36" apart. It works good on gardens and my neighbor has a thousand acres of soybeans (which the deer love) and he says it works... I have seen it work too.. It cost him a ton to get started but it was amazing the difference it made in his beans. He plants right next to the 5 strand HT of ours and the deer just jump that one but the double of his stops them .. They can't see where to jump because of depth perception being poor and are afraid .. It worked for deer with my garden too.
Dennis has some good pups that protects his herd, I'm not sure of his fencing design. bordercollie

We bought a kubota zd1211 60” rear discharge. That thing is bad to the bone and sips diesel. I don’t mind mowing anymore however, I only use it for about an acre or so around the house. Use the batwing everywhere else. If I had to, I’d wouldn’t hesitate to mow everything with it but due to how rough the pasture is it wouldn’t be nearly as much fun.

I vote for a diesel commercial zero turn

Brett

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What kind of goats do you have or intend to have???.........We raise Boers and in all my years have NEVER had one go OVER a fence!! Now, through, that's another matter. The little babies often wander through, get shocked and then can't get back. Billies in rut are in a condition so that a fence will not slow them down............There are some types of goats that will just BOUNCE right over. It's almost funny.
When you rotate from goats to cattle, make sure you let the grass grow up to 8" or 9". The worms that will totally kill your goats have a larvae that climb up on the grass when it gets a bit high. When the cattle eat them off the higher grass stems they are destroyed.......The cattle ARE NOT EFFECTED BY THIS TYPE OF WORM!!! It's a really good way to help eliminate your Barber Pole Worm problems.

Bulls or strange new cattle have a history of going right through our 5 wire all electric fences. .........you introduce them to the pasture, think everything is just fine, something spooks them, and it's almost funny if it wasn't your fences, but they take off and go through fence line after fence line........Off they go looking for their mamma's or the herd they just left............

Coyotes, here in N. Georgia, will just jump over a fence, no matter what it is, wire or electric, or whatever the height up to 8' or so. For us, we us Anatolian Shepherds that LIVE in the pasture with the goats. Most often also pit bulls running in packs, go right through a fence to get those goats..........

It's a good way to go; but there are problems with electric fencing/goats/cattle..............God bless

Attachments

• WIN_20170408_10_58_42_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20170408_10_58_42_Pro_LI.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Hey Dennis.
We currently have two nubian goats. I would like to get two cows to finish out for freezer beef. My plan is to fence off 2 acres with electric 5 strand and let them all graze together.
I would also like to drag the chicken coup out there too so maybe we could actually have flower beds around the house!

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
We bought a kubota zd1211 60” rear discharge. That thing is bad to the bone and sips diesel. I don’t mind mowing anymore however, I only use it for about an acre or so around the house. Use the batwing everywhere else. If I had to, I’d wouldn’t hesitate to mow everything with it but due to how rough the pasture is it wouldn’t be nearly as much fun.

I vote for a diesel commercial zero turn

Brett

Thanks for your vote! I am really looking forward to a full suspension machine and seat...

Around about how much is that bugger $?

Oh it’s a kick to the gut for sure. My 1211 could get an air ride seat but it’s actually comfortable as it is. Ours was $15k. Never in my mind did I think Id ever spend 5k let alone triple that for a lawn mower but these things are bad to the bone and really make short work of mowing duties. They share the same motor with the 1100c I believe and will wear you out before it tires

Brett

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Oh it’s a kick to the gut for sure. My 1211 could get an air ride seat but it’s actually comfortable as it is. Ours was $15k. Never in my mind did I think Id ever spend 5k let alone triple that for a lawn mower but these things are bad to the bone and really make short work of mowing duties. They share the same motor with the 1100c I believe and will wear you out before it tires

Brett

Tell me about it, new 1 ton trucks are 80K! In five years there worth 20K, thats 12k a year to in depreciation plus your paying 10k a year in payments! Does not compute.

That is one thing about the Kubota mowers they have a strong resale value.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The Scag Cheetah was $10,500. I never ever thought I'd pay that for a mower. I priced the Kubota, it would have cost me another 4k for the one I was considering. Did not want to spend the extra dollars. I'm happy with the Scag. She's a good ole girl. :D

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Dennis.
We currently have two nubian goats. I would like to get two cows to finish out for freezer beef. My plan is to fence off 2 acres with electric 5 strand and let them all graze together.
I would also like to drag the chicken coup out there too so maybe we could actually have flower beds around the house!

Bud.........I have read the whole thread and realize that it's mostly about mowers but then the fencing, goats, and bovines came into the conversation so I added my two cents about bovines and goats and the fencing of those critters. That is a whole lot of beef for a freezer.
We finish out bull calves, Beef Masters, in a paddock that is 20' X 50' or so and surely don't grass feed them. Maybe some hay to stop the runs every now and then. The last one we finished was 9 months old and was 675 lbs hanging weight. The T bones were just about "cut with a fork tender" and a side was enough to fill up our big chest freezer. ....lol

One Brangus is what I was talking about above jumping over the 5' livestock panel fence and going through 4 or 5 electric fence lines trying to get back to mamma or the herd......
Just talkin............NOW BACK to MOWERS

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Bud.........I have read the whole thread and realize that it's mostly about mowers but then the fencing, goats, and bovines came into the conversation so I added my two cents about bovines and goats and the fencing of those critters. That is a whole lot of beef for a freezer.
We finish out bull calves, Beef Masters, in a paddock that is 20' X 50' or so and surely don't grass feed them. Maybe some hay to stop the runs every now and then. The last one we finished was 9 months old and was 675 lbs hanging weight. The T bones were just about "cut with a fork tender" and a side was enough to fill up our big chest freezer. ....lol

One Brangus is what I was talking about above jumping over the 5' livestock panel fence and going through 4 or 5 electric fence lines trying to get back to mamma or the herd......
Just talkin............NOW BACK to MOWERS

No problem Dennis! There’s no rules on my posts I have a hard time staying on topic most the time. I know if we have two cows ready for the butcher I have friends and family that will be interested in taking thirds. We usually buy a third for the two of us roughly once a year. Thanks for your input!

628pm

Site Supporter
Well I will tell you how I progressed through mowers, first I started with the simplicity colbalt (think that is right), same as the ferris with 4 wheel suspension, it was great unit I started having problems with the mower clutch. Then I went to the Kubota zd326, it was a beast, mow anything, but like the previous zero turn, you cannot mow if on a even slight incline and it is wet. You will spin out or get stuck. Now I am at the Kubota F2690 front deck mower with steering wheel and 4 wheel drive. This thing is great, but you pay for the machine dearly. I mow 10 acres a week. My 3 acres, 99 year old neighbor 3 acres, and inlaws 4 acres. So I decided to get something that will last forever and hopefully not get stuck with it with some common sense. At the inlaws I mow about 1/2 mile of county road ditches (they have to have that mowed), so I wanted something to mow with that I hopefully will not get stuck with.

Bottom line all 3 were great mowers, they did what they should, but I kept wanting a little more. 10 to 20 years ago, no way would I have the f2690, retired and no debts, so why not get something I will enjoy using.

628pm

Site Supporter
No problem, just set on the porch and wait. Wife will tell me how much. So guess how much that will be!!!