Shear Bolts

cobycray

I have a MF283, with a 7 1/2' blower
I use Grade 5 bolts in the PTO shaft for shear bolts.
I break them about every 15 to 20 minutes when using the blower.
Would I be safe going to a grade 8 bolt or is there too much risk of damaging something else.

Red Beard

I've got a 7ft twin auger thing. Had the same problem with the shear bolts. Just went out and looked to see what I did. I used 2 bolts so the collar would fit square together and somehow, ended up with one bolt being the next size bigger, probably cause the hole was distorted due to breaking the bolt. Using grade 8 bolts probably isn't a good thing especially since the collars aren't that hard. What I did probably isn't either, but breaking those things is a real pain! Mine do still break on occasion so I guess the bolts are still the weakest link. I do know that keeping the collars square and tight and not hitting any cement blocks or 4x4's helps a lot. I usually run in the 1000rpm pto range and throttle back to keep it spinning a little faster and reduce the ground speed. Hope you have a cab and have fun!! That slip clutch looks like a good idea as long as you get one rated for about 100hp.

Nicahawk

I've got an old ford blower that mounts on the three point. I had to put in larger shear pins, bolts ? to keep it going. Maybe from 7/16 to 3/8 ?, don't know for sure. But, it made all the difference. When we get snow (sometimes) it works without a hitch, I don't let it get over loaded and go as slow as the ole JD will go in reverse.

As a note, we got 28" two years ago in late March. No power for 7 days. Made bedroom a popular place!

Last edited: