Bale spear

mobilus

Here's the bale spear that I made to fit my loader bucket. It simply slides into the receiver hitch and gets pinned in. The bottom end has a piece of angle that fits over the bottom lip of the bucket. I replaced the rear end in my '95 Dodge pickup last year, so I pulled the axles and sharpened them with an angle grinder. I cut off the outer inch or so of the wheel flange, basically to make it fit the 6" wide 3/8" plate that I bought. Works great...I moved 51 big bales Sunday afternoon.

Attachments

• DSC00978.JPG
    DSC00978.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00979.JPG
    DSC00979.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00980.JPG
    DSC00980.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00981.JPG
    DSC00981.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00982.JPG
    DSC00982.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 150

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice Job. Looks wicked!!!! Do you have to add much weight to the rear when toting those big bales around? What HP is your tractor? I don't think mine could handle that task.

mobilus

Doc, your tractor would handle it just fine. As a matter of fact, your tractor is the same size as my L2800, just more powerful. I have two 5.56 mm ammo cans full of lead that I melted down from wheel weights on the back of my box blade. Don't know the weight, but it did the job of holding the rear end down. There was only one bale out of the 51 that the loader had problems with...and it lifted up enough to move it around. Do you have the LA463 loader?

Mith

That looks real good. I'm really liking the versatility of the receiver mount on the loader. I think its one to add to the list of 'must haves'
Cheers, thanks for sharing

mobilus

Thanks for the good words, Mith. I want to continue to explore the implements that I can make while using the receiver hitch as a connector. So far, the boom pole and bale spear are all that I have built. But I'm thinking about a platform similar to the one Brandi made, only using the receiver as a mounting point.

shinnlinger

Mobo,

It wouldn't let me rep you, but I really like it. I am seriously considering switching over to round bales next year and it looks like your deal could help me with that.

UncleBuck

Really Nice
maybe you should start selling them, good work. Few questions, how big were the bales you moved ? what size bucket and how much lift/rated lbs
I would love to try to make it but my baby arc welder ( 70 Amps ) not up to the task. once again , excellent work :tiphat:

mobilus

Thanks, Shinn! I appreciate the comments.

Uncle buck, thanks also. The bales were the big round 5X6' ones. My loader is rated at about 1200 pounds, I think (don't quote me on that).

The only thing that was weird about welding it up was the axles...they're made of an alloy that didn't weld anything like mild steel. But they worked. Oh, and I burnt them in at 130 amps.

I appreciate all your comments...makes me feel proud. Best part of building it was that except for the 3/8 plate, it was all scrounged metal.