Thanksgiving RTV Story

EvenOlder

Hello all-
So 21 people over at the house for Thanksgiving.
900 RTV in constant use, everyone wanting to take it for a spin. Proud owner here as it's such an impressive, solid machine.

Then...
1. Wife calls me out, says "It only runs in Low- M and H don't work."
(Turns out that if you've got the parking brake on, that is what happens.)

No problem, released the parking brake, then...

2. 13y/o nephew returns, reporting that he got the Kubota stuck, even with 4wd set.
(When you table-top it on a tall sand hill, none of the tires touch the ground)

No problem, pushed it off the hill peak, then...

3. 18y/o nephew returns with my 10y/o son, who has blood pouring down his legs. The "good news" is that the bleeding is only from a million little scratches on his legs while wearing shorts here in Florida. The "bad news" is that the glass windshield is completely shattered (hence the scratches.)
(While the nephew reports it "just suddenly broke", I found glass all thoughout the woods, and from the tracks he seemed intent on running over every tree he could find, and the metal roof sides are all bent in from obvious tree scrapes.)

Good times, good times.

Any recommendations for a Lexan windshield replacement? No more glass for us. (Yes, I'll be replacing it after the scratches get bad.)

Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

steve

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Damn! "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt".

I hope your nephew has a job as I'd be having a new windshield or a chunk of his hide coming out of him.

I made a Lexan windshield and even after 9 years, it still looks like the day I put it in. I'll see if I can find the thread.

If you want to put Lexan into an existing frame, you're probably going to need a specialty shop to do it.

Due to the wars over the last decade, Lexan prices spiked. I don't know if they're back down yet.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry about the good news/bad news RTV Thanksgiving story. Glad to hear no one wasn't more seriously injured. There are more than a few U Tube stories where things have gone terribly wrong with folks operating all sorts of side by sides.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No one drives my RTV unless I am holding a calf in the back etc.... I imagine I put 99.5 % of the hrs on it. I have put the fear in any visitors that drop by to tour the farm on the shifting.. and since we have zero hired help, I am responsible if I "break it". You can say that I 'm of the Zoom philosophy.
I don't have a windshield and would never have glass with the work I do... As I get older though , the cold air ( even for Mississippi) hits harder so I may go with a form of the poor mans windshield ( the hair dryer shrink plastic) or maybe a piece of the plexiglass I have stored and intending to use for the past 8 years... :) maybe .. :) bordercollie

OldMasterTech

We had 30 for Thanksgiving, nothing broke on the 1100 or the golf car 'cause they were both locked in the garage and the keys hidden in my toolbox!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
lol.......It's an ol biker saying when someone asks to ride your bike......"Sure, as soon as I ride your wife".........

A distant relative at a gathering here saw my old BMW and wanted to ride it.......I said the above to him and he totally freaked....Haven't talked to that side of the family since....Nothing lost there.........God bless........Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
lol.......It's an ol biker saying when someone asks to ride your bike......"Sure, as soon as I ride your wife".........

I have heard that, and that will stop 'em in their tracks.....

NOBODY drives the RTV unless I get Mrs. Two Guns to " back it up a little bit " to load up a deer or hog.
NOBODY * NOBODY * NOBODY

As much as love my boys, they don't use. They don't even ask to !!!!
I am so funny about my equipment.
Like bczoom stated, " he better have a good job ", somebody would pay for that.
Lost a BRAND NEW EQUIPMENT TANDEM TRAILER from letting a friend borrow it "just wanted to move his mother" . That was fine, but somebody else run red light and centered my trailer. TOTALED COMPLETLY OUT. So new, I have NEVER put the first thing in it. NEVER !!!! Never even climbed on top and walked on it...
And he could not afford to replace. So it was my lost, for he only had liability insurance and the person who done it, had none.

And as far as the glass. I can say this with authority !!!! Have hit mine so many times at different angles with limbs and such. NEVER broke mine with a stick or limbs. But then again, I drive mine like one suppose to. Somebody was doing something crazy, they were doing something very wrong ......
Our RTV glass windsheild got replaced , for reason of vandalism while at another farm.
Like said before, mine stays locked up, along with all other toys and equipment.
NOBODY GOES INTO MY EQUIPMENT SHEDS OR MY TOY SHEDS ....

........... TWO GUNS

Attachments

• Fallout Shelter.jpg
    Fallout Shelter.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 99

kobe

Sorry, but I have to go with all the above girls and guys. I do not believe I'm being selfish, but things like my RTV have taken a whole life of hard work to allow myself the pleasure, and there is no way todays average 18 year Old would respect that. An accident is one thing, but as described it was more of A destruction derby. Not that I never had any accidents with other peoples stuff, but when I did, I returned it with the provision of "Who to you want to have fix it? Or I will buy you a new one"~~~kobe

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Two Guns, if that had been me wrecking your trailer, I would not eat until I started paying you back for it. Might take a while, but it would be done.
Kobe, my Mama and Daddy were the same way and made me who I am- of course the Lord above moves my heart to do the right thing too. collie

edit : if you want to see how I respond when my tools -(mostly sentimental ones at that) are messed with... just imagine an old wet hen and a chick in danger... Whew, I get mean. ... maybe a hornet's nest is a better description :) ;) I respect my tools and RTV more than any jewels. collie

another edit: Did I ever tell about the fellow that borrowed my 15 ft long chain that I keep on the floorboard of the RTV ??? Well, He didn't bring it back (I use it most every day and told him so) Called him, said he broke it... ha... no way he did that pulling out a stuck ATV....,I had to buy myself another.. $30 for a used one with the same welded links and usa forged hooks ... no I don't loan neither..

Last edited:

Popo1945

I'm very particular who I lend my stuff out to. Sometimes u never get it back & if u do it's not in the same shape as when it left. Some stuff never get lent out - 4 instant my stihl chain saw. I loaned to a "friend" once - it came back & it would only cut curves - so he bent the bar & I had to replace it. From now on if I lend it out, I go w/ it as the operator - & that costs more - I ain't cheap (lol). Even if u lend something out to someone who u trust & knows how to use the item - u might want to write it down as some people just forget - whether it be the lender or the lendee.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I would not eat until I started paying you back for it. Might take a while, QUOTE]

See, there is a little more than what is said. Understand, this man, is a VERY hard working man. As we all know, just because we are hard-working, honest,
good family man, and one who brings his whole family to church. Being all this, Don't give us
money.
He worked hard for his family everyday. Had four children, stair-stepped
up. All in school. Good, Honest people.
Understanding this might be a little hard. But I can sleep with my decision.
The day this man came back to my shop. He was not in his truck. He was in his
wife's car, who I've never seen him in. ( His Truck got totaled also.)He stepped out with tears in his eyes. Begging me to forgive him. He told me what happened. YES, I did get upset.
But for the next nine months after the accident, he would show up at my shop, trying to give me anywhere from 20 -30 dollars. Doing all he could. And I ALWAYS refused to take his money. To me, that was money that family could use to feed and clothe them children. EVERY WEEK, he showed up, and every week, I refused his money. Then, one day. I sat him down, and told him he and his family is welcome at my home anytime. BUT, don't ever come to me trying to give me money. Don't every mention the trailer, and don't tell me your sorry for all this...
For I told him every time he showed up with money, it reminded me of that horrible day. Never mention it again, unless he wins the lottery, and then, only then, he can come try to give it to me. He cried.

God Has Blessed Me, I got another trailer, and another, and another.
So with this, I can lay back and say, God works wonders !!!

............ jamie

Attachments

• man-im-so-tired.jpg
    man-im-so-tired.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 83

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is good two Guns. Thank you for the view. It is appreciated. I just thought they didn't care. collie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
That is good two Guns. Thank you for the view. It is appreciated. I just thought they didn't care. collie

bordercollie, I should have fininshed the story when I told it.
My fault. Sorry ....
Don't get me wrong, it upset me. OOOOh boy did it upset me.
But Yes, he did care.
Just one of them lessons of life. Don't matter who it is, things do happen.
I don't lend out my stuff. I bent my own rule, and it cost me big time.
Lesson learned .>>>

Way I look at it now. It was a test.......
Everyday, we are tested !!!

........... jamie

Last edited:

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
I rode my bike, XR650, into work when ever I could and one day a supervisor kept on giving me the let me ride your bike song. He kept after me giving me the I know how to ride. I gave in, he killed it three times taking off, I knew I should of stopped it right there. Heard him coming around the building and in through a large overhead door, at first I thought he goosed it on purpose until I saw his eyes. Straight for a doc that would of taken his head off, really, somehow he glanced off the doc. All I do now is think of that when asked to borrow anything dangerous, chainsaw, gun, tractor.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Icould and one day a supervisor kept on giving me the let me ride your bike All I do now is think of that when asked to borrow anything dangerous, chainsaw, gun, tractor.

I have never lent a gun out . NEVER EVER !!!
Matter of fact, I've never sold a gun.

When my children came of age, daughter included. Brought them out in the woods and fields, let them shoot mine, teaching them everything. And when I felt comfortable and they proved
enough responsibility and they could handle the weapons. Then, I purchased them their own rifles, shotguns, and pistols. And still, after that, I would take them out and see how they performed for awhile.
But never even let them step away from me with one of "MY" weapons.
Mrs. Two Guns, she was done the same way.

Another note:
Funny about my guns .....
I don't let people touch my rifles. Nobody..... I got my scopes set Perfect.
There is no miss. Going to keep it that way.
Pistol or shotguns, ......... yes, you can hold it, while I am standing there, and I hand it to you and you hand it right back. Make it a very quick look.

Many times in life, I've had hurt some feeling with friends. But, when they say can I borrow a gun to see if they like it so they might want to get one. OR, they want to shoot a different rifle. Can I borrow one of yours. My reply is .....
NOT NO, BUT HELL NO !!! And don't ever ask again. PERIOD !!!!!:cuss:

.......... two guns

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My basic thoughts on loaning out items are I will loan friends basically anything they need that doesn't have a motor. Close friends and family I will loan anything they need. Sure I've lost a few things, but 99.9% of the time it's been a great experience.

Heatwave

You're a better man than I, EO. I'll ride anyone in my RTV900 ... and do. But my wife and I are the sole operators. I'm probably have too much false pride in my "things," but everything was hard to come by and I try to take care of it.

Suggestion: Google for KUBOTA REPLACEMENT WINDSHIELD and you'll find lotsa replacement windshields.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You're a better man than I, EO. I'll ride anyone in my RTV900 ... and do. But my wife and I are the sole operators. I'm probably have too much false pride in my "things," but everything was hard to come by and I try to take care of it.

Suggestion: Google for KUBOTA REPLACEMENT WINDSHIELD and you'll find lotsa replacement windshields.

If that's for me I would just say I have a different outlook. Growing up I worked for everything I had, so there was a lot of stuff I just didn't have. Borrowed a .22 rifle shot my first squirrel. Borrowed a deer rifle for my first deer hunt. Had to borrow tools to work on my dirt bike etc. I take good care of my things also. My farming friends laugh because I wax my tractor. If I didn't have friends loan me things now and again growing up I would have missed out on some of my best memories. I am not putting anyone else's practices down. Things are much better for me now and the least I can do is help a friend if I can.

Heatwave

Chevelle: My earlier post was for Even Older, but I appreciate your responding to it. You and Even Older: y'all are better men than I. I have a streak of rigidity ... personal flaw.