Chute Rotator for Snowblower

tripe

Hi guys, Here are some pix of the homemade chute rotator I made for my 3pt snowblower. The winch is a cheapy I bought on Ebay for $60.00 shipped. The only welding was the mounting plate and a 5/16 cable clip tacked to the snout to grip the cable. I ran power back from the battery and installed a 30 amp inline fuse. The fuse is very important for times when I'm not paying attention and try to turn the chute too far in one direction. As soon as the winch starts to stall, the fuse will blow killing the power. Hasn't failed me yet! It takes about 5 seconds to rotate the chute from hard left to hard right.
Attaching the winch like this allows me to keep the manual handle in place. If the winch dies for some reason, I simply put the winch in "freewheel" and use the handle instead. Hope the pix come out as this is my first post and I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing! lol.. Thanks guys..Hope this helps someone. :tiphat:

Attachments

• DSCN0453.jpg
    DSCN0453.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN0454.jpg
    DSCN0454.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN0455.jpg
    DSCN0455.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 252

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Looking good tripe. If I had a blower, that would be one of the first things I'd do too. Pictures came out great. We like pictures........

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk

Kanook

TRIPE....What a great idea. I have been toying withtrying to get a chute rotater installed on an "Agrotrend" manual rotate blower i have and thought about this many times. Thanks for the idea and the pics :wow: Gonna' add this to my summer rainy day projects.

fabforce1

Pretty neat! Way to go there, making those brain cells work...lol
never thought of doing it that way before.

ansel

hi. how do you run the cable on the winch so that it works? does it look to get tangled? thank you. i bought a new winch but just wasnt sure how to do the cable on the winch.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
To elaborate on @bmaverick post, what he pictured is a Hawse fairlead. That type is normally used when using synthetic rope on a winch.
For steel cable, use a roller fairlead (which is also normally cheaper).

bmaverick

To elaborate on @bmaverick post, what he pictured is a Hawse fairlead. That type is normally used when using synthetic rope on a winch.
Nice. I couldn't find the roller one H-F typically sold. I have it with my 2500# mounted on the tractor, just not in this image.

H-F 2500 winch on Yanmar.JPG

ansel

yeah i have a couple roller fairleads. Just wondering if just wrapping the cable so many turns and keeping the cable tight. Will it work or just slip. never got around to putting it on yet but i will this week.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For this application, I'd keep the cable relatively short. If you only need 10' of cable, I'd put in a short cable, enough to cover the drum one time when it's fully retracted. A 50' cable wound around the drum several times would be more problematic.
Also, winches work better with less cable around the drum.