2016 RTV X1100C or Honda Pioneer 1000?

symphony

I was about to the pull the trigger on a brand spanking new 2015 RTV X1100C but since it was nearing the end of the 2015 model year, I decided to hold off and see if anything new would be announced for 2016.

New for 2016 the RTV X1100C will have a front PTO option which will allow the use of some new implements. The one that I’m most interested in is the 66-inch snow blower with a standard hydraulic chute rotation and deflector. This will come in handy for me for clearing the driveway at home or up at the cottage.

I was dead set on the 2016 RTV then along comes the newly announced Honda Pioneer 1000. The specs on the Pioneer are quite impressive:

- 74hp
- 72ftlbs
- 1000 lbs payload
- 2000 lbs towing
- 6 speed dual clutch gearbox (no belts)
- high/low range t-case
- 2wd/4wd – locking front and rear differentials/turf mode
- auto/manual – paddle shifters
- 12.9 inches of ground clearance
- high top speed > 60mph

The Honda would seem to me as the best of both worlds – excellent utility capabilities and can also be used for recreational activities

Now on to the negatives:

- not a diesel so fuel economy will suffer
- cab is an afterthought – very expensive and doesn’t look to be as tightly sealed as the RTV but don’t know for sure?
- no AC and heater also seems to be an afterthought
- no PTO or hydraulic accessories
- expen$ive – approaching $30k with cab and some comparable options to the RTV

So the big dilemma is do I choose the tortoise or the hare? I don’t need the speed of the Pioneer but it would be nice on occasion to take it on the trails. Quite frankly the only thing that is holding me back on the X1100C is the frequent mention on this and other forums of the RTV labouring while climbing up steep grades. I will be using my UTV to do various tasks (hauling, plowing and/or blowing snow, etc…) where the terrain can be quite steep. I also get the impression that the RTV is more solidly built and will stand the test of time.

Think I’ll wait to see both in the showrooms then decide which is best for me.

Last edited:

Nevadablue

I plan to take my RTV 'on the trails' and have never understood the 'need for speed' while driving off the road. I can run my pickup at 75 mph all I need to.
I was looking at a Ranger diesel at first but the hydrostatic drive and cab sold the RTV to me.
Happy owner for 24 hours...

ovrszd

I'm on steep timber terrain almost daily with my rtv900. It will climb anything it has the traction to succeed on. Requires low gear to do it.

I have no need for road speed as it never leaves the farm unless on a trailer.

Ground clearance is it's biggest flaw for me. Got stuck yesterday when I fell in what I consider a small tractor rut and highcentered the rearend.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I guess it depends on what you want to do. To me, the hydraulics are most important. That dump bed and new up front PTO would be awesome. Nice cab with heat and A/c would be great (but I have a 900 and I'm not way up north where it really gets a lot of snow or real cold). I am in the southern Ohio hills and have very steep hills. I used to have to go into L to climb the hills, and could climb them with no issues. Now, with more experience with the RTV I can climb most of my hills in M. Same machine and operator, just more experience.
I picked up a dash cam the other day, and I'm waiting on a Micro SD card I have on order. Once I get all that I can show a video of the hills I climb. I think you'd be impressed with what these RTV's will do. I've never run into anything I wanted to climb that the RTV would not climb in L.

If traveling a long ways on country roads the speed of the honda would come in handy. but for the trail runs, like NevadaBlue said, you normally do not go fast ...except between trails, going from one to the other.

I have looked at the Honda. The one I looked at would haul 4 people, which was a big plus for me. But, in my opinion it was not the workhorse the RTV is. If you will be riding trails with the other UTV's the Honda fits in more with those types of machines as they have stretches where they do run at 40mph or so between the rough trails, but for work the RTV wins hands down in my book.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I think you should buy both!!! and then after you have owned them for a while you could give us a comparison. "just kidding" I love my X1100c!

Another point y'all haven't touched on is...the ladies flock to the kubota's....and even try to kiss you...

Jon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 346
I have a 2014 x1100c. Use it on our property and to plow a 1000 feet driveway. For a work vehicle it can't be beat. I test drove a Pioneer 1000 Deluxe last week while I was out of town. It seats 5 and is a big improvement over the Pioneer 700. It was a blast to drive and really hard to compare the two machines. IMO -For work I would stick with the x1100c --but for play there is no comparison I would definitely go with the Pioneer 1000.Planning on buying one next year but keeping the RTV for work.

ovrszd

I have a 2014 x1100c. Use it on our property and to plow a 1000 feet driveway. For a work vehicle it can't be beat. I test drove a Pioneer 1000 Deluxe last week while I was out of town. It seats 5 and is a big improvement over the Pioneer 700. It was a blast to drive and really hard to compare the two machines. IMO -For work I would stick with the x1100c --but for play there is no comparison I would definitely go with the Pioneer 1000.Planning on buying one next year but keeping the RTV for work.

I found it to be more of a "play" UTV than a work UTV.

The Bobcat is closer to the RTV. I especially liked the Toolcat's HST system with a Treddle rather than a shift lever to change directions. I'm just a bit reluctant to accept their chassis durability in comparison to the RTV.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The Honda's are a good machine. But I still like my 'ole 900.

We done good together for awhile now.

........... two guns

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
damn he surfacd for air!! glad to hear rom you again ole buddy.i think you guys forgot about the Honda is gonna have a lot more smoother . ride.as for the tranny being belt driven I wouldn't worry about that .you will snap an axle before the belt goes. I have a Honda in my shop. the tranny is junk. I got it going again but now it has no fire. Honda calls their tranny a Honda matic but I call it problematic. it's o simple having a belt drive machine versus a hydrostatic tranny.

now if I had to choose out of the two I would go with the rtv.

Art454

New for 2016 the RTV X1100C will have a front PTO option which will allow the use of some new implements. The one that I’m most interested in is the 66-inch snow blower with a standard hydraulic chute rotation and deflector. This will come in handy for me for clearing the driveway at home or up at the cottage.

How does the snowblower work?....Does it have a engine on it to run the snowblower?
I could not find anything on it on the Kubota site.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I think you could run a PTO off of the front crankshaft or harmonic balancer. a shaft from the front of the engine with an electric clutch on it could be routed to the front and even incorporate a gear box.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It will be interesting to see how it performs running PTO , a/c while going up an incline. It is so underpowered now, I don't see how it could handle much load on PTO like a bush hog.

Art454

I think you could run a PTO off of the front crankshaft or harmonic balancer. a shaft from the front of the engine with an electric clutch on it could be routed to the front and even incorporate a gear box.

You need 3600 rpm....how are you gona go forward?. Would need a hydo trans like the BX tractors and throttle control.

ovrszd

You need 3600 rpm....how are you gona go forward?. Would need a hydo trans like the BX tractors and throttle control.

I think Aurthur is onto something. A small gearbox in the driveline could get the PTO speed needed.

Well,, actually, when I think about it, a gearbox will most definitely be required if ran off the engine crankshaft to slow down the PTO shaft to 540rpm for example, at governed engine speed.

This would also help with the HP required by using a reduction gearbox.