New/used RTV owner, Intermittent temp gauge

Fellow RTV motorheads,

Bought an 05 900 RTV last week and have been peckin away at some of the mechanical and electrical issues since. Ordered a CD shop manual as well since I'm new to wrenching on these beasts. Right now I'm playing with an intermittent temp gauge and trying to find the sending unit so I can begin the troubleshooting process. Located the fan sensor near the thermostat housing and that is working but I assume there is a separate sending unit for the gauge itself. So any help locating that would be great.

Initially the alternator was not charging but was corrected when I replaced the #8 blown fuse, the overhead cab switches also came back on. Upon testing all the fuses in the block I found that the #4 glow lamp fuse has no juice coming into it. Though the glow plug and dash lamp are working and I'm having no cold start problems. Which makes me wonder what does that #4 fuse control?
Any feedback on these problems is appreciated.

Hand Salute!

shinnery

In my '06 RTV 900 I remember seeing sensors on both ends of the head, one is the temp sensor I believe. Since the glow plugs only work when the switch is held in the midpoint position, I will bet there is only power to that fuse when the switch is held in the midpoint position. Good Luck with everything.
Bryce

Thanks for the reply Bryce, yes there is a sensor on the back of the head and because of the location I assumed it was oil pressure. But I will double check that and your suggestion to test that fuse at the midpoint. That does make sense.
Thanks again

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new-to-you RTV.

Would you elaborate on intermittent temp gauge? I too have an older RTV and in general, the temp gauge will just sit there without registering. I have to work mine pretty hard for about 30 minutes before I even get a reading.

Are you in W. PA? Your forum name sounds like you're in the Laurel Highlands.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome ! Go to Messicks Eqpt and look at your model rtv parts diagram there. You can view a breakdown of the parts diagram and see where everything is. Just sign in with your email address and create a password and you can view the diagrams. You will have an on line parts diagram of everything then . There are differences in some features on the early RTVs but the engine is the same. Good Luck ! bordercollie

edit: the sensor and switch are listed under engine components . It shows in the diagram -one is $25 and one $50 look at the water pump and the other is on the top near edge of the engine . I'm try to send you a pm with a link to that page.. collie

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new-to-you RTV.

Would you elaborate on intermittent temp gauge? I too have an older RTV and in general, the temp gauge will just sit there without registering. I have to work mine pretty hard for about 30 minutes before I even get a reading.

Are you in W. PA? Your forum name sounds like you're in the Laurel Highlands.

Zoom,
Thanks for the welcome, the one time the gauge did register was after I had it running awhile and it was on the low side of the gauge. Most of the time it stays below the bottom of the gauge and never moves. Bordercollie hooked me up with the Messick parts page and I've identified the sending unit.
So when I get time I will test the switch, wiring and gauge. The fuel gauge was initially acting eratic as well. It was working until it got to 1/4 tank and then quit. I filled tank and then it went back to full and started reading correctly. I cleaned all the grounds, battery to frame, frame to chassis and chassis to body. You can tell this machine had been sitting a lot as a result of the prior owner buying a new model etc. For example the diff lock linkage was frozen and I had to soak it with skunk piss to loosen it up.
As far as location you found me brother! I'm a short ride north on I99 in SW Clinton county.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Zoom,
Thanks for the welcome, the one time the gauge did register was after I had it running awhile and it was on the low side of the gauge. Most of the time it stays below the bottom of the gauge and never moves. Bordercollie hooked me up with the Messick parts page and I've identified the sending unit

I thought my 04-900 also had a bad sending unit as the gauge seldom moved above the bottom mark. When it did move it moved up rapidly into the hot range. I finally decided that the rapid rise in heat was due to a defective temp switch to the fan that did not actuate the fan when the temperature increased.

I ordered both temp and fan switch from Messicks and replaced both. They are both on the head.

The fan now comes on as it should but the temp gauge still remains bottomed on the gauge if I just drive it around. When it goes to work plowing snow or carrying cargo in the summer, it will come off the peg but unless I work the little devil it just rests at the bottom. Remember, I'm in Michigan so we seldom so temperatures in the high 80's low 90's.

Bob