Forks, a few questions

Mith

Wondering how long the forks are that you guys made?
I'd like to pick up a normal pallet, how long do I need to make them for that, 36", less, more?

I'm planning on making set that are adjustable width to fit onto my QA so I can flip between them, bucket and any other stuff I make in the future.

Cheers

In the pic, the red is the QA.

Attachments

• forks comp (Small).jpg
    forks comp (Small).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 142

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wondering how long the forks are that you guys made?
I'd like to pick up a normal pallet, how long do I need to make them for that, 36", less, more?
I looked at a couple of pallets and made the forks long enough to support the next-to-last plank on the largest pallet I expected to use. I think it was a 44" square pallet. I suggest measure your local pallets. Did the metric conversion affect things like pallet sizes?

Also you show the bevel at the tip longest on the bottom. I beveled mine longest on top, to reduce digging into the ground. You might need that bottom bevel to get under something that is resting on a concrete floor but I designed mine to make it easy to slip into a pallet that has the normal upper and lower planks, and I approach them with the tips slightly lower than the back so I don't snag and shred the top planks.

Do you have a tractor big enough to require such a strong structure? That looks like a one ton design, which would be way overkill for me. I designed fairly light because the tractor is already noseheavy before I lift anything. Practical capacity is about 800-900 lbs right at the bucket but maybe half that, way out on the forks. The hydraulics will lift a lot more, but there isn't enough weight in back to keep the rear wheels on the ground if I exceed that.

Hmm - I just noticed your brackets. Is that a front or rear QA?

B

bczoom

I'd say 36" is plenty.
In general, I don't like forks that are longer than the pallet. If they stick out (and you don't notice it), the forks will smack into something when you're trying to get a load close to something (like a wall).

What size pallets do you expect to be using?

Mith

California, we have Euro pallets, but I don't have any to measure. I smashed up my last pallet with the bucket today, soon as I had done it I realised I hadn't measured, so I'll have to get more to measure.

On the tip bevel, its at 45 degrees, that's the best the bandsaw will do, I might have to cut it by hand to get a better angle as you suggest.

The structure and forks are box steel, to keep the weight down. I couldn't think of a design that used less steel that would allow me to move the forks in and out. I'm designing everything to be very strong, as I know it will get abused.

The forks are to go on the front loader. The black frame that the straps are looped over is the QA bracket (red in the above drawing).

Thanks

Attachments

• 29-07-07_1542.jpg
    29-07-07_1542.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 143

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
California, we have Euro pallets, but I don't have any to measure. On the tip bevel, its at 45 degrees
I went out and measured. I built them 37.5 inches clear fork length. The largest pallet is 48 inches and the forks fully support the next to last plank.

Another design consideration was to make them as long as practical, to use for brush forks. I hope to make two more to complete that goal.

For the tip design, what I meant was the top surface is longer than the bottom. I doubt the angle is critical, I just burned them by eye then cleaned up with a grinder.

P1120488rForkTip.jpg

Today is probably the first time a measuring tape got anywhere near them. :)

Mith

I think I might go for 36" forks, maybe a little less, seeming as my loader is smaller than yours, I dont think it would lift a loaded 48" pallet. I'll have the measure some of the common ones around here and see how wide they are.

I am planning a dedicated brush grapple, so these are just for lifting pallets and large items.

I see what you mean on the tip design now. Thats something I'll have to think about. I can see that it might be handy to have it the way in my plan for lifting off the floor, but your design is so much more practical for pallets. I'll have to decide what I'll be using these for the most.

Thanks

B

bczoom

I can see that it might be handy to have it the way in my plan for lifting off the floor, but your design is so much more practical for pallets.
I didn't notice the angle in your original post. The angle in CA's post is the preferred method.
The primary need for that angle is to make it where your forks can skid/jump/slide over the bottom boards of the pallet. In your design, you'll find them snagging a lot.

Mith

I made the forks today. I only got 1 picture, I'll grab some more tomorrow. Lifted some real big timber with it.

I ended up cutting the angles like in the plan, and not as California suggested. I now see why you dont cut them like I did. Its great for getting under stuff, but I now have many 6" deep divots in the lawn, its very hard not to let the forks dig in.
I might cut them like California suggested and just have the forks a little shorter.
I made them 34" long, came up with that by measuring a bunch of pallets and seeing what 'looked right' on the tractor.

Either way, I'm happy, very useful tool!

Of the 3 logs lifted in the picture I couldnt lift any of them by hand. Made the steering heavy (not PS) but handled it fine.

Attachments

• 08-08-07_1718.jpg
    08-08-07_1718.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 137

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job Mith. I find all kinds of things to carry with my forks. You'll be glad you made them buddy! :thumb: :D

Mith

Some bigger wood, about 10" diameter at the fat end.

Also a picture of the view from the seat, pretty poor visibilty, but having that bar going across the middle saved me $150, I can live with it.

And a picture of the actual forks themselves. Havent capped the ends of the forks yet.

Doc, already I have found many uses for them. I'm glad I made the already, Thanks :D

Attachments

• 09-08-07_0937.jpg
    09-08-07_0937.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 09-08-07_0938.jpg
    09-08-07_0938.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 09-08-07_1106.jpg
    09-08-07_1106.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 136

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My forks just clamp on to my Front End Loader (FEL). Your visibility is better than mine, since my bucket is in the way.
Nice job Mith. You're good with that welder!!!! :thumb: