Ignition or fuel shut off problem?

dkpdds

Hey NTT friends. :wave: I have a Yanmar 3220D and have just recently been having an issue with "killing the engine". With the key in the OFF position, the engine continues to run. I basically have to "choke down" the engine to kill it. Is this a linkage adjustment issue or perhaps a butterfly valve that is sticking open not completely shutting off fuel to the injector pump? What do I need to look for and where? I realize this sounds funny since most people complain of an engine that won't run and I have one that won't stop running!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Mark777

Welcome to NTT !!

Fairly certain that you have the throttle linkage slightly misaligned and it's not shutting your FI Pump off.

When the hand throttle is fully forward, it should stop the fuel flow and "Kill" the engine almost immediately. Sometimes a simple cleaning with a spray solvent will prove to be enough. You can adjust the throttle link to compensate...but it wont take much.

Got any pictures of your YM3220D ??

Mark

lens12

The Ym3220 has an electric fuel shut off. You could have a wiring problem(check for voltage at the plug(, Solenoid could be bad( probably what is wrong) , or linkage out of adjustment (I doubt this is the problem). We can supply a replacemant solenoid.

dkpdds

lens12... you win the prize!!!!!!! Voltage/power was good to the electric fuel shut off. Turns out it was the solenoid that was bad. Had a friend remove and replace the fuel shut off solenoid with a pull cable. Just for kicks Leonard, what would a replacement solenoid for a Yanmar 3220 run if I decide to switch it back? Thanks again for your help. Sorry it took me so long to post this... I just haven't been on in a while. I hope the post may help anyone else with similar problems. Have a blessed day.