Equipment needs

Newbierancher

Hello,
We just started a small horse ranch. We have a 80 x 150 ft. corral. Over time the horses have compacted the soil to the point that water simply runs off or pools. I have a John Deere 3320 tractor. What implement should I purchase to break up the soil? I planned on mixing sand into the soil once I get it loosened up. Any suggestions?
Thank you

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Isn't it good that the water runs off? Where it pools, I'd fill/grade that area so it doesn't puddle.

I would think a drag harrow like what's pictured below would do what you want and a good option for keeping it in shape going forward. To go deeper, consider a disk harrow but I'm afraid this may go a bit deep making it harder for the horses. My aunt has an indoor arena about that size but since it's not exposed to the rain, I think she just uses a landscape rake.

spring-tine-harrow-for-seedbed-preparation.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A box blade would be what I would think of as the inbetween option. Not as drastic as disc harrowing but would tear the ground up more than a drag harrow ...(I think, I've never used the drag harrow).
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Didn't think of a box blade but that would do it if you didn't drop your scarifiers too deep (then busted up what was dug up with some sort of harrow or drag).