Stability

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
For arguments sake and because the forum seems quiet.... I took a S, almost a z curve in my x1100c today on asphalt at 24mph. I drive this "one car road" behind my house every day, in the 3500 ram 15 mph is hanging on, 25 mph in the wife's car wouldn't fly if she was in it. My point is the x1100c is capable of higher speeds and is not high centered. At no point was I worried about flipping or even getting on two wheels as a matter of fact I was smiling and having a ball. While going down the road I almost felt comfortable enough to yank a right turn onto a road without letting off the throttle.. almost
Further more I can't see the high cog argument when 99% of the machines weight is below the seats.
Long story short and maybe it's just me but I feel like the current configuration is capable of 40mph the only thing questionable to me would be the hunt and peck hydraulic steering

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting! I have the X900 and it seems really stable as well, although in my situations I don't even get it up to 20 mph most of the time. I know that there are other safety regulations that come into effect if an UTV can travel faster than a certain mph. I don't know what that speed is, but I know that my glass windshield says it is not rated for more than 25 mph.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Have you ever heard the statement: "What's the worst thing that could happen?"

:myopinion:

ovrszd

I've never thought the RTV had a high COG. However it's horrible lack of suspension travel and flexibility make it feel tipsy in off camber situations. I commonly have one tire in the air. I've never feared a roll over once I understood all of this.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. What kind of tires are you running AlaskaAssasin? I would think that might make a difference. From my experience, the knobby aggressive tires designed for dirt ride funny on pavement, especially in turns.

I had some work done on my trails that lead to the river due to erosion caused by water running down the tracks made by the RTV and ATV's that travel the trails. The guy put in some raised speed bump like mounds across the trails at an angle to divert the water coming down the hill ...so that it runs off the side of the trail. Works well as intended but when climbing the hill leaving the river we end up with one wheel in the air as we pass over those bumps. No problem but it does scare the ladies along for the ride.

I can get up to 15 on my trails and that is plenty fast enough. One the rough parts of my trails when you high side (a part of the trail that is 6 to 10 inches higher one one side) that sure does make the RTV seem tipsy, but we've never tipped or even come close to tipping.

ovrszd

The problem with the RTV steering is the Orbiter. Because the vehicle is designed to go slow Kubota didn't spend much money on a good orbiter.

We used hydraulic steering on our buggies. Costs $1500-$1800 for a system depending on application. They can be driven down the road at whatever speed you have the guts to go. No wandering, vague steering, constant correction, etc. It's all in the orbiter.

I guess if a person could figure out how to get top speeds up in the 40s-50s with an RTV that person could also figure out how to swap out the orbiter for one that would respond logically. :)

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I'm running the stock Atv tires doc, you can feel them give a bit but nothing scary. Can we post videos on here? I also have the shocks turned up all the way. Your trails sound awesome, we only have fields here as you know.
Biff you might be right on smv I don't think you can fly the smv sign if your going faster than 25.
Richard what model do you have? I honestly feel like the ride is good, there is not a lot of travel but yesterday I had 20 60lb bags of soybeans in the back and I'm thinking to much travel would be a hindrance, also agree with you on the steering orbiter it is sufficient for farm and smv, but she wanders all over the road at top speed. It has to be better than the competitions electic assisted steering?
Also waiting for you to make a RTV rock crawler what's the hold up!?

ovrszd

I've not tried to post video here. Might have to use a supporter such as YouTube??

Mine is an '08 900.

I agree about rear suspension travel. I'd just like to have a bit more in the front. I frequently haul heavy loads of dirt or gravel and bottom out my rear suspension easily.

Yeah, the steering on the RTV exceeds everyone else's. It's just designed to match the vehicle speed which is great. If at some time Kubota made a racecar out of the RTV I'm sure they would also change out the orbiter.

Don't think there's a rockcrawler RTV in my future!!! :)

One of our gang is finishing up an awesome buggy. Should have it ready by Memorial weekend. I'll get some pics and post them here. 52" tires. :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Posting videos should work here. I have had some that will not load though. 30 to 60 seconds should not be a problem. If you have issues let me know and I'll try to help.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Posting videos should work here. I have had some that will not load though. 30 to 60 seconds should not be a problem. If you have issues let me know and I'll try to help.

Alright ill try it out when I get done planting over there!

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter

probably not worth the effort doc but I did try to upload a video from from my Iphone, a .MOV and it did not work, what format should it be in order to upload?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
MOV was not an extension available for upload, until now. I just added that one. Please try again and let me know the results. Thx!!!!!

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Sure glad your figured that out doc! Because I could not figure out how to reformat the video anyway. I wish we could go back to windows 95'.

Anyway if the video works it will display the top speed handling capabilities of the x1100c with stock ATV tires! This should end stability concerns for future purchasers concerning high speed corning which I am sure we all do. :17875:

Attachments

• Video.MOV
    1.8 MB · Views: 51