start and die

whitebus

My 08 rtv 900 would stsrt run rough and die, restart and run, had a lot of viabration, so i checked the forum and seen where somebody else had same problem, put a electric fuel pump on and it fixed the problem, starts good now, no vibration, more pep, left old pump on til it gives a problem then will remove , glad for this fourm, Thanks whitebus.:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
The primary pump is"i think" a small cam driven diaphragm pump on the side of the engine block. if the primary fuel pressure is low because of the failure of the primary pump there is a danger of getting diesel in the engine oil through a cracked diaphragm. if i was going to bypass the primary pump i would either remove it and put a blocking plate over the hole or at least make sure the primary pump isn't connected to the fuel supply. can anyone confirm that the primary fuel pump is a smal lcam driven diaphragm pump ?:starbucks:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Don't know what drives it Arthuritis; but glad you fixed that thing and you got some help Whitebus......I guess I need to repost in the fix sticky above; but the thing is still running on the $13.00 ebay electric fuel puker so not gonna fix what isn't broken. I did take the little rubber stoppers that came on the electric pump and put them on the original pump to keep dust and such from contaminating whatever is exposed there inside the pump..........

Glad you got it fixed........Dennis

ovrszd

The primary pump is"i think" a small cam driven diaphragm pump on the side of the engine block. if the primary fuel pressure is low because of the failure of the primary pump there is a danger of getting diesel in the engine oil through a cracked diaphragm. if i was going to bypass the primary pump i would either remove it and put a blocking plate over the hole or at least make sure the primary pump isn't connected to the fuel supply. can anyone confirm that the primary fuel pump is a smal lcam driven diaphragm pump ?:starbucks:

Yep. It appears it's a simple diaphragm pump. It's fastened to the side of the injection pump and driven mechanically by the engine.

I agree that if this pump is left in the "circuit" with fuel going thru it there is a chance of fuel leakage into the crankcase.

If I were to eliminate the need for the pump I would also remove the pump and add a blocking plate over the existing hole. This eliminates any chance of the pump leaking and contaminating the crankcase.

I would be careful to not do anything that's not reversible. You never know. Some day you might need to go back to the factory pump system.

whitebus

the diaphragm pump is disconnected from the fuel system, just using it as a blocking plate, just can not believe how much better engine runs.

ovrszd

the diaphragm pump is disconnected from the fuel system, just using it as a blocking plate, just can not believe how much better engine runs.

Glad it was a fix for you!!!!

I can't see any short term negative to leave the pump in place. I guess eventually there is the possibility of the pump leaking engine oil out. But you would detect that shortly.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sure glad the expert came in to validate and endorse what was already proven for like 400 hours now....I left the original on for the exact reason of plugging up the hole in the engine that removing the original pump would have left. If the old pump begins to make some mechanical shattering noise from the mechanism itself going bad, then I can see going around and finding a replacement original design mechanical pump. The cheapest I have found a replacement for is $137; but am sure someone can beat that.............

The best thing is that the missing, sputtering, running on one cylinder, MORE power, and just excellent performance was a less that $20 repair that took perhaps 30 minutes at the most to put in place..........Dennis